Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Photo by Brian Ray

Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Sheriff Wall loses license

Department of Revenue upholds yearlong revocation

— Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall has lost his driver's license for one year, the Colorado Department of Revenue confirmed Thursday.

Wall had a telephone hearing with the Department of Revenue on Wednesday to consider his appeal of a revocation handed down by the Colorado State Patrol after Wall refused to take a Breathalyzer test Oct. 27 when Trooper Brett Hilling cited him for driving under the influence near U.S. Highway 40 and Walton Creek Road.

Department of Revenue hearing officer Art Julian heard the case, which will have no official bearing on a criminal trial, but may be referenced by prosecutors.

"(Wall) states that he refused because he believed the troopers did not have probable cause to require the test," Julian wrote in his decision and order. "I have found that the troopers did have probable cause to require testing. The revocation : is sustained."

Julian wrote that he reached his conclusion by a preponderance of the evidence, which included Hilling's report and other written testimony including witness statements.

"The officer had probable cause to require testing due to (Wall) having the odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath, red and glassy eyes, (and) being unsteady on his feet when exiting the vehicle," Julian wrote under his findings of fact.

Also under his findings of fact, Julian wrote that Wall told Hilling, "We are not going there," when he was asked to submit to a chemical breath test.

Trooper Melissa Fowler initially pulled Wall over in his county vehicle for an alleged failure to dim his headlights as he approached the intersection of U.S. Highway 40 and Walton Creek Road while returning from a Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association celebration at Sidney Peak Ranch. Wall claimed that Fowler had insufficient grounds to pull him over, arguing in part that "it would have been impossible for the trooper to distinguish 'high beams' from those of the powerful overhead street lights" at "one of the best lit intersections in Steamboat Springs." Julian dismissed that argument.

"The plain experience of any driver is that, even in well lit intersections, it is easy to distinguish the high beams of an approaching vehicle," he wrote.

Several witnesses submitted statements on behalf of Wall, according to Julian's report, including Jenny Wilson, Wall's girlfriend and passenger at the time of the traffic stop, and Steamboat Springs City Clerk Julie Jordan.

The statements claim that Wall had, at most, one glass of wine and that he exhibited no symptoms of intoxication, according to the report.

Julian, however, found the State Patrol's reports more credible.

"The hearing officer first notes that all of the statements are remarkably similar in language and content, nearly verbatim in some cases," Julian wrote. "The similarity of the language diminishes the credibility of the content."

Julian's report notes another of Wall's arguments that the traffic stop "was the result of a conspiracy of the area law enforcement community to charge him with DUI, and that there was a 'bounty on his head.'" Julian, however, described Hilling's conduct as "exemplary" and wrote that Wall's own testimony discredits the conspiracy claims. Julian noted that Hilling "made every attempt to mitigate any potential humiliation of" Wall, through such steps as asking Sheriff's Office deputies on scene to disperse before he removed Wall from his vehicle.

"This meticulousness, courtesy and respect are in total contradiction to the conduct expected of someone who is perpetrating a false arrest born of malicious intent to discredit (Wall)," Julian wrote.

Wall is set to appear Jan. 16 in Routt County Court on his DUI and prohibited use of a weapon charges. John Kammerzell, director of the state's Peace Officer Standards and Training Board, said the revocation won't affect Wall's ability to continue serving as the county's top law enforcement officer.

"It has no effect on his peace officer certification," Kammerzell said Thursday. "POST has no standing in this situation."

Kammerzell said Wall renewed his POST certification in November. He also said DUI is not one of the misdemeanors that can compromise one's peace officer certification.

Kammerzell said he is aware of other officers who also have lost their driving privileges. In most cases, Kammerzell said those officers are assigned to strictly administrative duties.

Although Wall was issued an affidavit and notice of driver's license revocation the night of the traffic stop, he disputed the revocation and was granted a 60-day temporary license and Wednesday's telephone hearing.

In addition to DUI and failing to dim his headlights, Wall has been charged with prohibited use of a weapon because it is illegal to possess a weapon when under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wall was not taken to jail as a result of the charges, and an unidentified Sheriff's Office employee drove him and Wilson home after the traffic stop. There was a request to subpoena Sheriff's Office Dep. Lance Eldridge for Wednesday's Department of Revenue hearing, but Julian denied the request.

The weapons charge and the DUI charge are Class 1 misdemeanors that carry a minimum sentence of six months imprisonment or a $500 fine, or both. The maximum sentences are 18 months imprisonment or a $5,000 fine, or both. Also, if convicted of DUI in a criminal trial, Wall would face an additional one-year suspension of his license.

Wall did not return messages left on his work and cell phones Thursday. His lawyer, Steamboat attorney Ron Smith, would not confirm or deny that Wall's license had been revoked.

"I'm not going to discuss Gary's case," Smith said.

Wall's criminal case was continued in Routt County Court last month. Judge James Garrecht told Wall, Smith and special prosecutor Karen Romeo that he will recuse himself from the case when it moves forward because of the court's close working relationship with the Routt County Sheriff's Office.

The 14th Judicial District also recused itself from the case to avoid the same perceived conflict of interest, which is why Romeo, assistant district attorney for the Fifth Judicial District, was appointed special prosecutor.

Romeo has said that a plea bargain with Wall is still possible. She said her investigation of the case is wrapping up soon and that she will begin negotiating with Smith after the New Year.

- To reach Brandon Gee, call 871-4210

or e-mail bgee@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

Citizenatlarge; I am taking for granted you were privileged to the testimony hearing, that's the only way you could make such a contemptible statement.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 12 months ago

"Those weren't my high beams! That was swamp gas...oooorrrrrr a weather balloon!"

fed10 6 years, 12 months ago

How can people attack the troopers for this, Wall made the mistake and has made many in his time as sheriff. The troopers gave him every oppurinity to clear himself, Guilty is Guilty! How can people support this man when he cant take the law serious, actions speak louder than words and accusations.

bigdog 6 years, 12 months ago

Does Gary "Barney Fiff" Wall get to carry around a bullet for his gun now that his is POST certified? Scary thought......

thecondoguy1 6 years, 12 months ago

id,,,,,,,, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after ya..............

handyman 6 years, 12 months ago

"(Wall) states that he refused because he believed the troopers did not have probably cause to require the test,"

Sheriff Wall knows that statement is not an excuse to refuse the test. Period.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 12 months ago

we have problem here with morals and dishonesty, I can't see how this can stand in a community like ours in these times. I agree Santa is watching, and this trial will go as right goes, we will see. citizenatlarge, if you have information come forward, otherwise you are complacent in a disgusting fraud...........

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

The real entertainment will come in court. It will be interesting to see what ethical procedure standards the Judge will set. Past proceedings of "professional P.I. testifying" had questionable conduct that alleged dishonorable behavior with intent to cause damage and plant suspicion with jury members.

Ms_E_Bronte 6 years, 12 months ago

So, correct me if I'm wrong: we have a sheriff who allegedly finally got around to being POST certified in November (after this incident occurred), who now cannot drive legally because his license has been suspended for drinking and driving in a RCSO vehicle. Happy Holidays!

otis -- you're right on! Others really can see through his "smoke" screen.

steamvent 6 years, 12 months ago

A few years ago, Trooper Hilling nearly came over the counter at me at the State Patrol building on the west side of town when I stopped to ask why he had run a red light. He backed off when I told him there was another witness in my vehicle outside, but told me I had no right to question his actions and that he didn't have to answer to me for anything. I asked him how that smug intitlement would play when he kills someone while running a red light. He just laughed. I reported the incident to he paper, which chose to ignore me. Do I feel safe from the State Patrol here? No.

citizenatlarge 6 years, 12 months ago

Now I REALLY don't feel safe! Two State Patrol Officers lying under oath? Exemplary? NOT!! And now these two officers are back out on the streets to invent more self-serving "truths" against other citizens! Good cops gone bad. We will all have to carry tape recorders to protect our own rights. At least transfer these goons to LaJunta!

bubba 6 years, 12 months ago

Citizenatlarge, what are the lies they told under oath? Basically, the facts are: Wall had been drinking. The cops smelled it, and felt that his appearance warranted a roadside test and he refused it. His girlfriend states that he had been drinking, but did not look drunk to her. Like it or not, the current state laws make it so that one glass of wine could possibly put someone over the legal limit (depending on the size of the person and the wine), so even the girlfriend's testimony is somewhat damning- the facts of the case: He had been drinking and he refused a breathalyzer. This is pretty open and shut if you ask me. The notion that this is part of some conspiracy is laughable, especially since he was pulled over for not dimming his lights, which means the decision to stop him was made before it was known that it was a sheriff's vehicle.

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

Citizenatlarge; your allegations should be considered a declaration under penalty of perjury. These can be considered obstruction of justice and are punishable by law. Your statements should lead to an investigation, and you should be held accountable for making false statements.

A critical bond of trust has already been broken and adding obstruction may be another integrity situation Wall has invoked upon himself.

otis 6 years, 12 months ago

You know, if Gary would have ever admitted he made a mistake, taken the roadside sobriety test, and passed, none of this would have ever happened. The excuses are pathetic. Hire a lawyer and spin the story. If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit. Good thing old Johnny Cochran has gone on to the other side. Gary, you are making a mockery of Steamboat, and you remind me of some kid you doesn't and simply refuses to take responsibility. What an exemplary role model! Thanks goodness others can see through the b.s., and I must admit that Julian, as a completely impartial third-party, can see the spin that's taking place. It's just a sad, pathetic day for the leader of our county law enforcement.

Benny 6 years, 12 months ago

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Wall quoted in one of the earlier Pilot articles saying that he "forgot to dim his lights"? Does anyone else remember reading this? I'll have to go back and look. Also, Wall's excuse for his refusal is pitiful and pretty much bogus. If he wasn't drinking there is no reason not to take the test. If he wasn't drinking then he should have taken the test to prove his innocence. That's pretty plain and simple, PC or not. Sounds to me like the conspiracy is coming from Wall and his friends. I mean, come on, they all use the same words in their witness statements. Kudos to Mr. Julian and Trooper Hilling.

allis53ca 6 years, 12 months ago

been pulled over for not dimming lights..and having only parking lites on..because of those great streetlights..both times took breath test and both times went home with my license still in my pocket...i've never met anyone who refused the test, who WASN'T drinking.....you play, you pay !

id04sp 6 years, 12 months ago

Stop just a second here, folks. Was Wall in a county vehicle that had visible "cop car" characteristics? Light bar? County tag identifiable as RCSO? 4wd patrol type vehicle?

Why would a CSP officer stop a police vehicle for failing to dim the bright lights? I've been stopped a couple of times, and the cruiser that pulled me over from behind had his brights on the whole time in every case. Just because the CSP was coming "the other way" doesn't mean there could not have been a legitimate police reason for Wall to be running with brights.

Has anybody ever heard of any other cop being stopped by another cop?

And as for the local CSP bubbas, I've seen them blow through town at 50+ mph on the way up to Rabbit Ears to a wreck. How is that safe, responsible, and in tune with the public's best interest? I'm talking about sitting in a restaurant on Lincoln, in the middle of the business district near Lyons Drugs, mid-morning, watching this happen. It's a wonder a pedestrian wasn't killed. Oh, did I mention? No lights, no siren.

This was a setup. Wall may have been drinking, and he may have refused the test, but it was still a setup, and welcome to Colorado. Corruption is our middle name.

This getting more interesting to watch all the time. If Wall really is "a drunk," then I'd love to see "a drunk" round up a bunch of corrupt cops and send them away. Wall is old and wise enough not to care what people who don't like him think of him. I'm there too, and oh, man, is it a liberating experience to say, "Yeah, that's true about me. So what?"

ColoNative 6 years, 12 months ago

I have problems believing that a person with a law enforcement background does not know that drinking, driving, and a gun do not go together. His behavior makes me me wonder what else is in the background of the Sheriff. Did anybody ever do a check on him or is that even required for sheriff........?

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 12 months ago

Kevin gets his license back, Wall gets his taken away. Zero sum game. wow dalk, your lack of commentary here has me speechless. must be the holiday spirits. ho ho ho

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

Id04: This is no set-up; it's a rerun, a replay. Check the playbook (Court transcripts) same players, different positions. It's like going to the super bowl with the same defense, same play. Plant suspicion with jury, play victim and see who sits on the bench.

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

I want to see the conclusion of budget distribution from the County, as to who will have financial libality for driving County vehicles, how much this legal process is costing the County, and how much it is costing the State.

I wish the Pilot would publish the information.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 12 months ago

" ninty-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hard-working, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then- we elected them." Lily Tomlin

chet 6 years, 12 months ago

Hello.... is it not common knowledge if you refuse's a Breathalyzer test it is an automatic 1 yr suspension. Guilty is as Guilty does - Gary

portagetheyampa 6 years, 12 months ago

Scary that Wall is the man in Routt County who is supposed to be upholding the law; he favors it applying to everyone but himself.

What will he do next to shame the entire Sheriff's Department and all of us in Routt County. This man is a lowly example of a citizen.

lowerprofile 6 years, 12 months ago

What I am most concerned with is the duck... Any word on how the poor thing is?

ColoradoNative 6 years, 12 months ago

Gary Wall " Calling all units I'm in hot pursuit of a black sedan heading down hwy 40 towards Craig. I'm setting up a road block at Milner with my Alpine Taxi van. Let's get him boys!!"

otis 6 years, 12 months ago

Hey ld04 -- if it's a set-up, take the roadside test. That's the point. This would be a non-issue if he had simply taken the test. Set-up, conspiracy theories? Get real. He brought this upon himself because he thinks he can make up some civil liberties b.s. story and have people believe him. Don't be so naive!

DavidFerguson 6 years, 12 months ago

Maybe we could get one of those road signs in West Steamboat, "Don't pick up hithchhikers by the jail, unless it's the Sherriff".

armchairqb 6 years, 12 months ago

Has any one ever used a radar gun and clocked a tree doing 85 yes the machine is only as good as the operator. Once you blow you never know what will come out the other side. If it was a set up, (this town never heard of professional courtesy) by not blowing Gary put a wrench into the machine No smoking gun no murder.

mtnkids 6 years, 12 months ago

can't we just put a blue light on an alpine taxi and call it good? better yet, make it a limo.

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

Mr. David Ferguson: I don't care what anyone says, that's the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum. Maybe he can borrow one of Hayden's Police Horses.

ColoradoNative 6 years, 12 months ago

Wall has to go!

Well if he does he's going to have to walk!

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

Mtnkids: I can see it now, Blue Light special, "Attention Kmart Shoppers", oops I mean ......Pull Over.....Pull your shopping cart over!!....I mean it.....I mean it.....I am calling someone from the paint department for back up !!!

colobob 6 years, 12 months ago

lowerprofile, duck update can be found on "the record Dec. 4"

id04sp 6 years, 12 months ago

Still interesting to me how the CSP can have multiple cars around to stop a Routt County vehicle for failing to dim the lights, But:

When they chase a guy at high speed,

And he runs off the road and wrecks his car,

They take him to the hospital and do not bother to get prints for a proper ID,

Do not guard him,

Allow him to walk out,

Don't actually take him into custody,

And he's still at large.

So, our sheriff is in trouble for DUI because the CSP has all kinds of resources to devote to catching him breaking the law, but dangerous felons who might kill any of us on the road some night just walk away at will.

If I wasn't still working for a living, I'd go take the POST test, and volunteer to drive Mr. Wall around for FREE in return for a share of the rights to the book.

Maybe a movie, "Walking Wall."

The story related by the gent who saw the CSP officer run a red light is the real meat of this controversy. They're getting away with stuff up here some way, some how, and it's obvious as Hell something is going on that we haven't learned about yet.

Why do people take a crappy job, for little money, and seem so inept so much of the time, while staying employed by a state agency?

Power = Money

A badge = Power

A badge = (fill in the blank, I know you can do it)

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

id04: Maybe while you're on your walkabout town, you guys could run security at the hospital. It is the responsibility of the "Jailer" to secure inmates, not the CSP. Perhaps you could attach a winch to one of those rascals.

responsibledogowner 6 years, 12 months ago

There are few things that scare me more than the unfettered behavior of a few, threatening my rights. A few untrained dogs off leash, with a bone to pick, leaving their excrement wherever they want and biting anyone for reasons they create with fully supported deniability after the fact... Where did the checks and balances go in our system? Can't anyone put a collar on these state patrol officers?

spouch 6 years, 12 months ago

Maybe Wall should give driving lessons to the State Patrol.

dundalk 6 years, 12 months ago

Stompk:

If Wall's galpal had been drinking, why would a law enforcement officer allow her to drive Wall home?

If Wall was on duty, (to support your allegations that he pulled someone over) then why would he be at a party, drinking? Why would Wall pull someone over if he had his gal pal in the car?

Can you imagine a law enforcement officer's surprise to pull a vehicle over for failure to dim headlamps, only to find Wall sitting behind the wheel? If I were that officer, I would immediately call for supervisory back up.

Your original posts about the "real story" also included that the officer pulling Wall over had kids...neither officer has children.

gonenglad 6 years, 12 months ago

It sounds like "responsibledogowner" can't see much further than his own kennel. The CSP has the huge responsiblity of keeping the stray dogs off the street that continue to act in total disregard for the welfare of others.....ie...the people that continue to drive drunk and kill others. They are the ones that respond to these fatal accidents day after day....and they're the ones that have to explain to the families of those killed by careless drivers and drunk drivers why their loved ones won't be coming home... They do a great job.....and a thankless one....and they don't need to be criticized with rude comments like yours......to all the troopers out there......good job!...keep it up.

canudigit 6 years, 12 months ago

I have read all these articles about Wall hoping that he would a least loose his license for refusing the test. So yippee!! He did. If he is worried that there is a "conspiracy" going on, he could have requested to have a blood test drawn at the hospital. The blood is sent to another independent lab and tested. There is also an extra tube drawn so that if he wanted to have it tested at a lab of his choice, he could do that. I agree that the CSP leaves a lot to be desired and they do show favoritism to friends and family but, what can we do about it?

id04sp 6 years, 12 months ago

canudigit --

Get rid of them

CoJo,

The suspect was not put in jail by the CSP because he required hospitilization, and they would have had to pay for the suspect to go from jail back to the hospital and receive treatment. They planned to arrest the suspect when he was released from the hospital.

I think the CSP probably does a good job overall, but there are always exceptions, and this was one of them.

CoJo, I hope you don't end up in a head-on collision with the yoyo who walked out of the hospital. That's the point. We are all at risk.

This whole thing is about small men of limited intellect on power trips. They have a control fetish. It gives them a rush. They're the ones we need to get rid of, and keep the good ones, and pay them more.

CoJustice 6 years, 12 months ago

Right back at you, I hope you are safe also, your family and the community. Merry Christmas !

Well pick up our bantering after the New Year.

gonenglad 6 years, 12 months ago

id04sp....please....try to limit yourself to things that you understand.....the CSP would not have had to pay for the "suspect" to go from the jail back to the hospital.....the county would have that responsiblilty once the arrest is made. I think that the limited intellect that you accuse the CSP of is finding it's roots right here on this page with the likes of you and the others that have no clue as to the extensive training and education that the State provides our troopers. These guys and gals put their lives on the line every day when they go to work.....try to find something else worth whining about......This country would be complete chaos without good law enforcement.... We need them to keep the Gary Walls of the world in line...... Merry Christmas..

bubba 6 years, 12 months ago

id, wall's county vehicle is an unmarked white durango, if I am not mistaken, the lights are inside the windows and the grills, so there is no way a cop coming head on would know it was another cop with his highbeams on. When I have been pulled over by a cop who made a u-turn to do so (for speeding, thanks) he turned his lights on before making the u-turn, so that is how I envision this traffic stop- cop probably realized it was the sheriff once he caught up to him with the flashing lights. If I were the csp and had bothered to make a u-turn and turn my lights on, I'd at least finish pulling him over- anything else would be preferential treatment.

So I think the conspiracy theory on this is completely weak, and even if it wasn't - the guy was drinking AND refused a breathalyzer - I know where that would put me, why should he be different, even if the CSP is out to get him? If I suspected that the cops were out to get me, I sure as hell wouldn't be drinking and driving, which he was doing, by his girlfriend's own testimony.

canudigit 6 years, 12 months ago

id- how do you propose that we get rid of the CSP?

Benny 6 years, 12 months ago

I wonder how the internal investigation is going. According to the Sheriff's Office policies, the sheriff has violated at least three that are published on their website. In the code of conduct section it is policy that each employee obey all laws of the United States of America, of the state of Colorado, and all local ordinances. It was shown by this DOR hearing that Mr. Wall violated a Colorado State Statute by refusing the chemical test. The policies also state that officer shall not wear any type of firearm while consuming alcoholic beverages. I take that to mean that an officer is in violation of policy if they consume even one alcoholic beverage while armed. There is also a policy that states that all employees, while off duty, shall refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages to the extent that the consumption results in behavior that discredits the Sheriff's Office. I do believe the Sheriff's Office has been discredited to the highest degree.

Their internal affairs policy says that all internal affairs investigations must be completes within 30 days of the complaint (but can be extended by the Sheriff, LOL). Also says that the employee who is the subject of the investigation may be required to take a polygraph and if the employee refuses, they can be disciplined or dissmissed. I wonder if Klinger and Curzon will request a polygraph from Wall according to their right to do so. According to the Sheriff's Office policies and procedures, Wall should have been fired by now. If these same policies do not apply to Wall, then every Sheriff's Office employee has an out when it comes down to it.

Hey Sheriff's Office employees: If you are disciplined or dissmissed for violating any Sheriff's Office policies, your lawsuit against Routt County will hold up in a Court of Law because they are not followed and do not apply.

Scott Wedel 6 years, 12 months ago

If it was a conspiracy against Gary Wall then he fell into it hook, link, and sinker. Dumbest possible response to a conspiracy would be to refuse a breath test. If he suspected breath test was rigged then he should have insisted upon a blood test and a breath test which would have exposed the conspiracy.

Of course, the obvious problem is that the driving while impaired threshold is so low he probably knew he was in legal jeopardy for that and having a drink while carrying a firearm.

What was he thinking at the Chamber event? If he was on duty, showing up in his official vehicle and wearing a gun then why did even consider having a drink? If he was off duty then he should have not had his gun and probably used one of the shuttle vans.

I think it was good that he won the election for Sheriff because change was needed. There had been too many embarrassing GRAMNET arrests without ever any hint of an apology for anything and it was important that the elected Sheriff not come from dysfunctional GRAMNET.

Now I wonder if he might be hurting his objectives more by staying on.

stompk 6 years, 12 months ago

Once again, I will tell folk the "real story" I heard.

Wall had someone pulled over. That is why there were deputies on scene.

Whoever was pulled over, called the cops on Wall, and they are hiding this part.

No one questioned this?

If Fowler pulled over Wall, why would she call in backup City cops when she said she asked (or was it Hilling) that asked the deputies to leave before he got out of the car.

I know CSP can call up backup. Is this normal for a DUI stop?

According to CSP, there were two state patrol cars there, and they said deputie(s), so there were at least two city cops there too.

Normal behavior for a DUI stop?

Something doesn't fit.

It's either a cover-up, or a set-up.

Either way, someone is lying, besides Wall.

stompk 6 years, 12 months ago

Ask yourselves this question.

Wall was in a county vehicle, with a firearm, and was drunk enough for CSP to issue a citation.

What cop that knows anything about law, would let him go, and write a citation,

knowing full well the penalty of carrying a firearm, while drunk.

Let alone being in a county vehicle, which is another violation that no one seems to want to address.

Plus the fact that anyone that refuses roadside goes directly to jail.

That is just pure BS. No cop would let any of you go, if you refused the roadside, I promise...

In fact, you might get tazed, bro.

stompk 6 years, 12 months ago

And don't forget, originally Wall's girlfriend drove him home. Now, it's a deputy that drove both of them home.

So did they drive Walls vehicle, or did they go in a CSP car, or a city cop car. Can we get the real story?

How about a duty roster for that night? Pilot?

I would bet Brent $100 he was on duty, and he was pissed about having to leave the party to work, so he had someone pulled over, being kinda rude, and they called it in on him.

12 yrs ago, I started to drive home from a Halloween party. I got to BMC and realized I had no right to be driving, so I pulled into the BMC parking lot, and left my truck running, because it was cold, and went to sleep in the front seat.

A cop pulled me out of the truck, and I refused the test. I lost my licence for a year, and went to jail, and got a dui, because I was nearly forced to take the breath test in jail.

Now I was a dumbass, I know. But the fact is, I was treated one way, and the cop was treated another way.

Now, how does this sit right with the citizens of the area?

If it were you, you would have gone to jail,

but Wall gets a ride home????

Yeah, I'm pissed.

id04sp 6 years, 12 months ago

gonenglad,

I think the point, Merry Christmas notwithstanding (and thanks for the thought, sincerely), is that the Routt County Jail would not have taken a CSP prisoner into custody in the first place because the prisoner required hospital treatment right then. CSP has jurisdiction, and custody, and responsibility. If the man had died for lack of treatment, CSP would be liable for denying it by not taking him to the hospital.

I think this whole episode really shows just how screwed up things are there in Routt County, and in Northwest Colorado in general. The influx of sophisticated homeowners into the area over the past 15 years means that people from other places with experience beyond a couple of years in the Army and ten years as a patrol officer in a redneck haven are questioning how things run. It's about time.

Small town, rural, copshops and courts are responsible for untold abuse of citizens in many states across this country. Go down to the southeast, get 20 miles away from the interstate highway, and you find the same kinds of shennanigans all over the place.

It was, as Scott said, time for a change in Routt County. That's all pretty much gone now, but the people voted for a change and I hope we will not go back to the way it was before.

There have been drug scandals in law enforcement in this area, and in the courts, over the past 20 years or so. I can only assume that the drug use and trafficking are still going on in certain circles of the community, and keeping the patrol cops in line so that nobody important gets arrested is part of the scheme. Wall was the guy who might have made a dent in some of that.

The thing we really need is for enough trash to come out of Sheriff Wall's case for the Department of Justice to come in with the DEA and IRS and clean house once and for all.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 12 months ago

Wall knows he doesn't have to respond to any of us. Yes, we voted him in, but most of this town is going on with its business. Only most of the people on this blog are whining and moaning. The rest are going on with their lives knowing the sheriff isn't the sheriff's department, the department is made up of men and women who do the real day to day work. The sheriff's department will be okay. Wall can hire a driver if he needs one and the rest of the officers and staff will be just fine.

Hell, you can say the same about the school district. Look at the crap Howell and her cronies including the Pilot pulled and it didn't disrupt the work the teachers and staff are doing. 4th in the state.

No, it's not the "CEOs" or the superintendents or the chiefs of police, or the directors. It is the people who get the least recognition who do most of the work and damn good work too. Who do you think will do the work of the Yampa Valley Housing Authority? Howell? Surely you jest. It will be Church and his fellow workers who have done all of the work all along before Howell was vaulted into that position without credentials.

Our sheriff's DEPARTMENT will be okay.

This is what you call the holiday spirit? Break up the mob, get on with your lives, and enjoy the holidays! Maybe none of us will be around another entire year to enjoy another one. It's time to turn to other more important things in life like your family and children and your own actions.

Just a lighthearted, full of gayety and holiday spirit, and some spiked-up eggnog, yes as always a dimwitiguess.

rickie 6 years, 11 months ago

Benny---your Dec 21 comment hits it. Keep it up.

shortbus 6 years, 12 months ago

I am sorry, this may be my ignorance of local politics and county election laws, but isn't Wall an elected official? As such can the County (I know it is not allowed for Federal or State elected officials) residents petition for a recall election. He has (under his own admission... sort of) broken the law he swore to uphold and is making Routt County the laughing stock of the State.

How can this man effectively be in a position of authority going forward when every time he is enforcing a law the instant response from whoever he is in contact will be "yeah right, how about you Sherriff?"

Or is his elected position only one that the County Commissioners can elimiate... in any case hopefully there is movement on that front.

Regardless of any conspiracy theories or anything else, the DOR revoked his license for refusing to obey the law... does not seem like a trait I want in my Sherriff.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 12 months ago

dim Merry Christmas! Got any more of that eggnog? Maybe we can crash a party at one of the mortgage brokers, get drunk and sign up for a 'really good ' rate!

dundalk 6 years, 12 months ago

Stompk: Copied from one of your previous posts:

"To the arresting officer:

Your daughter accidently told us the story at the bus stop the other morning.

The story was,

"Sherriff Wall was drunk, and was ticketing someone, when my Dad was called in and he arrested him"..."

Neither of the arresting CSP officers has children. Thus my previous comment to you.

bikegirl 6 years, 12 months ago

Boy,our little town/county is becoming a joke.We have watched several of our elected officials,school board,city council,sherriff,'s department behave without conscience or regard for the people who they are supposed to serve.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 12 months ago

Bikegirl, you are obviously part of this town. So does that mean the joke is on you? Have you mentioned the hired people who are as corrupt or more so than anyone?

Howell gets the biggest prize this year because she lied, deceived, violated her ethical responsibility to the district and particularly students and parents she took the money from. She could have settled for less money,but she wanted it all. And then she got a job that she had no business getting. No credentials. I guess that joke was on Mr. Church. Funny I haven't seen him laughing.

The school board does its job for nothing no money, no dinero, no thanks and it gets a snide quip from someone who obviously thinks she is so much better than the rest. City council gets a whole $400 per month and whole lot of SH**. Why don't you run for office, Bike babe? Too many ghosts and skeletons in the closet, or just afraid you couldn't get elected? That's probably it.

The real joke is Standford, Schlict, Boyer, Larson, and the other trash reporters and don't-do-gooders in this town who live on the slime they put out.

Bikerbabe, put up or shut up. You're part of the problem if you're not part of the solution. You and the rest of your ilk need lumps of coal and soot and sticks for Christmas, but then we know there is no Santa Claus, no reason for the season, and no new year's resolutions that you or any of the others on here would stick to. I know I won't a pretend to be a "christian" sitting in church pretending how holy I am. What about you?

Will I have a resolution for the new year? Hell no, I'm just the dimwitiguess that will call you and the others on their pompous self-righteous BS. The joke is on you Biker babe. Have a good laugh.

dimwitiguess

id04sp 6 years, 12 months ago

The implied consent law is good in concept, but in execution, it's a way for cops to blackmail people and retaliate if they want to. Two cops who agree to lie can pull this stunt on anybody they choose.

I know somebody who it happend to in another state. The cops told her they would "let her off" if she agreed to testify that her husband had beaten her. When she refused, because it was not true and the man had never touched her in anger, the two cops swore, under oath, that they had requested a BAC test and that the suspect refused. The result was a plea bargain, suspended license for a year except for back and forth to work, and thousands spent on insurance. The alternative was a trial, $20,000 to the lawyer whether he won or lost, and the possibility of going to jail (even though it was only for a couple of days).

Cops lie and get away with it all over the place, and it happens all the time.

How about that guy whose wife is missing -- his 4th wife, is it? And they think he may have killed number 3? He's a retired cop because he chose to retire rather than face a disciplinary hearing for yet another offense. These guys get away with it because their brothers in blue protect each other -- and isn't that because they all have a lot of dirt on each other in some/many cases?

wyowind 6 years, 12 months ago

bikegirl - Steamboat and Routt County have been a joke for sometime now... where have you been??

stompk 6 years, 12 months ago

dundalk, check your facts. I never said Wall had kids.

I said, the arresting officers daughter told us the story the next morning, before it was in the paper.

You say, why would Wall go to a party, when he knew he had to work?

I say, why would the man drive a county vehicle to a party?

But go ahead and defend him.

I just telling you what I heard, from a very good source.

Now, no one would have ever known that he was in a county car, unless I said something and my info was backed by the Denver news cast that night.

And don't forget, Brent Boyer called me at home, getting my name from the forum, even though I post as anonymous.

Cops are watching, and you are not anonymous.

dundalk 6 years, 12 months ago

stompk:

Perhaps I worded my previous post awkwardly. You said the arresting officer's kids were talking at the bus stop...neither of the arresting officers has kids.

id04sp 6 years, 12 months ago

We all know that a cop would never lie to a kid, even his own.

Here's how it works. Lawyers tell a lie with a straight face, over and over, hoping you'll believe it.

Cops learn to tell a lie with a straight face too, over and over, because they get away with it.

The cop code is the only thing they won't break, because if they do, gosh, they could get pulled over for DUI or something.

grandctydame 6 years, 12 months ago

To id04sp: The corruption is way beyond Routt County. There was a gal in Denver who was physically abused by her husband and tried to get help at a shelter. They asked her why she didn't call the cops. she told them her husband is a cop. He found her through his buddies and ended up murdering her. And how about Grand County? There seems to be 2 cops per citizen. If you're not pulled over by a "Statie" then you have to contend with Fraser/Winter Park cops, Granby cops or your local Grand County sheriff. And unlike several other states in which I have lived, there seems to be no jurisdictional boundaries. A person is fair game anywhere especially with the trumped up excuses they use to pull you over (so they can fill the county's coffers?) Yes, we have some professionals on the forces who treat their stops as human beings instead of line # such and such in the code enforcement books, but sadly, there are not enough of them left. So we have to deal with the cowboys and hope our windshields don't crack or we lose a headlight while we are in the process of driving, because they sure as shootin' will pull you over and use them as excuses to "smell" you and then use "probable cause" to search your car.

mtroach 6 years, 12 months ago

I drive a lot for work and can spot the sheriff's Explorer without a problem. I think there is no way the CSP did not know who was in that car before Wall was stopped at the side of the road. You can't tell me the a CSP did not look at the car about to be stopped when they passed.

getitstraight 6 years, 11 months ago

well first off most of you are wrong. wall did not have someone pulled over. if he did how could they get him on a failure to dim. also none of the troopers have kids that would be riding the bus none of the troopers live here in steamboat so what would there kids be doing riding the bus. And yes on a dui stop there are always two cops there. On a stop like that there is a chain of command that has to be notifed and i bet on someone like that it went all the way to the captian or maybe even higher. I also drove by and there were only two state patrol and 2 deputies there. I dont think that the city wanted to get involed with that. If he didn't have anything to hide take the dam test he is an idiot, whoever leaked it to the denver news is an idiot because it makes all of us look like, a bunch of dam idiots here because we dont know how to vote a sheriff.

fish 6 years, 11 months ago

wow you would think that Routt County is the first place in the United States to have a law enforcement officer do something stupid. Wake up and smell the coffee, sorry the only people that this makes look stupid are the ones that claim to have all this knowlege about what went on and are spreading rumors. "I drove by and I know how many people were at the stop." No you know how many were there in that brief moment when you drove by.

ventrygirl 6 years, 11 months ago

Just wondering if the taxpayers will be footing the bill for chauffeuring the sheriff around to his official and unofficial appointments.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

From what I hear, his personal chauffeur is an office employee. I wonder how this employee's job duties/workload is effected by being away from the office. Unfortunetly, Mr. Wall's loss of his license will most likely effect all the staff at the Sheriff's Office and the efficiency that the tax payers money is utilized.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, since the useless "DARE" program and GRAMNET support have been cut, I'd say Sheriff Wall is still ahead of his predecessor in providing value to the taxpayers.

Remember now, campers, that the old RCSO pretended to enforce the laws, but really didn't do much except the very obvious stuff that could not be avoided. There was no attention paid at all to white collar crime, corruption in the government system, etc.

Oh, does delivering AMWAY products in your patrol vehicle constitute misuse? Anybody out there ever receive AMWAY products from an RCSO vehicle under Warner? See it happen? Enquiring minds want to know.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

Whether or not the DARE program was useless, is up for debate. I believe it was a valuable program that is used across the nation. Technically Wall is saving money by cutting valuable programs (also ElderWatch), but that does not excuse him from wasting taxpayers money in other areas. He has used money to hire private attorneys to represent the Sheriff's Office to do work that the County Attorney is employed to do. The dollar amount that is spent on his transportation to and from meetings, appointments, court proceedings, etc. is not known by the citizens and hard to define by any of us.

I haven't heard of any internal investigations regarding misuse of county vehicles to deliver AMWAY products by anyone during any administration. Even if those things were taking place, which I wouldn't know, I believe that the Sheriff's DUI is the issue at hand and a much bigger issue than personal use of vehicles that may have happened in the past.

I do enjoy your posts ID, however you tend to get off topic when it comes to Wall. Warner's administration has nothing to do with the current administrations issues. Bringing the past administration's problems to light does not make the current administration's problems any less or different than exactly what they are.

ID, you are a Wall supporter. Do you think it's okay for the Sheriff to be suspect of DUI and do you think it's okay for the Sheriff to have a revoked driver's license? I understand your support of him, but in light of the recent events, you must be having some concerns?

shadow 6 years, 11 months ago

The Routt County website, Sheriffs Depatrment, Employee Qualifications, states that a deputy sheriff candidate "must possess a valid drivers license." Doesn't it seem reasonable that the head of the department should also meet that requirement, or is that an over-expectation?

Snowhugger 6 years, 11 months ago

Sheriff Wall it is time to step down! Save yourself and the community from more embarasment! You should be a roll model. I would probably not feel this way if you had admitted your mistake, but you seem to have taken a attitude that you are above the law. I even voted for you, but now I must take my support back. Can you say RECALL!! Maybe a recall on you will be more successful then it was on our DA. I am really glad this case is not being tried by the DA's office here. This removes any chance of favoritism. I applaude the DA's / judges decession to recognize this!! Not really sure how it works, but I feel better that justice will be served with this case being heard elsewhere.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Benny,

I'll refer you to my earlier post in which I described a case where local cops used the "implied consent" law to frame a friend of mine.

Given all the circumstances surrounding this incident, I have to believe there is a possibility of entrapment, including doping of beverages at the dinner.

Deprivation of civil rights under color of law is a federal crime. Maybe having the local Sheriff caught up in such an incident is what we need to get the FBI and DOJ involved.

They got Martha Stewart on perjury. Do you think the people involved in this case would rather tell the truth, or risk spending a year painting lines on the parking lots at the Federal minimum security corrections facility at Nellis AFB?

As for the "private investigators," well, guess what? In the past, the local investigators didn't do jack $#!+ to investigate anything that required much talent or intelligence (for obvious reasons) so maybe the expenditure is necessary. Also, somebody who comes in from out of town doesn't have to worry about what's going to happen to them when the case is over and they leave town.

AmebaTost 6 years, 11 months ago

"So why would a person with that much to lose go out and do it in public?" Because as the number one law officer in the county, he feels he's above the law. He's not much different than Clinton and Monica. Those democrats will embarrass themselves and the community eventually.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America : Criminal Poisoning ...Clinical effects. The diagnosis of chloral hydrate can be difficult to differentiate from alcohol, benzodiazepine, and barbiturate intoxication, ... linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0733862707000235 -

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/chl02.htm Chloral Hydrate Chloral Hydrate Information

Chloral Hydrate is the oldest of the hypnotic depressants (sleeping pills). It was first synthesized in 1832, but was not used in medicine until 1869, when Mathias E.O. Liebreich noted its effectiveness in inducing sleep.

Chloral Hydrate acts as a depressant on the central nervous system, it has sedative effects similar to those of barbiturates and benzodiazepines.

Legally available as syrups or soft gelatin capsules, a doctor prescribed dose of 500 mg to 1 gram of chloral hydrate will take effect in about half an hour, and will induce sleep in about an hour.

Sleep induced by the drug will usually last four to eight hours and the user will feel very few after effects, but continued use of the drug can result in addiction if taken for months at a time.

Chloral Hydrate is also known as Trichloroacetaldehyde Monohydrate, and is used medically as a sleeping pill. Its molecular formula is CCl3CH(OH)2. It is a transparent crystalline compound with a melting point of 57° C (135° F).

Overdose symptoms may include:

deep stupor dilation of blood vessels fall in blood pressure fall in body temperature slowed respiration In a severe overdose, death usually occurs within 5 to 10 hours.

The drug is used recreationally by a small number of people, usually because there is no other drug available, or because it is cheap.

The effects are similar to downers and sleeping pills. Minor euphoria, relaxation, etc. at small doses. Tiredness, slurred speech, screwed up thought process in larger doses.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

ID- So nobody has ever actually gotten drunk and gotten into a car...ever??? Even when they have a lot to lose, nobody has ever done this of their own voliltion? Why would a Pres have an affair with an intern while still in office?

As an alcoholic, I had a whole helluva lot to lose by getting a DUI. I still got one because I was an idiot.

I apply that statement to anyone else who drives drunk, whether that person is a Sheriff, burger-flipper or President. Odds are, there is no conspiracy here; only an elected Sheriff who used to work in the private sector for Defense Attorneys, and hasn't completely made that switch yet, mentally.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

It seems like every time I hit the nail on the head, people stop posting.

Was my comment about "doping of beverages at the dinner" the one that brought this thread to a full stop?

Chloral hydrate mixes readily with water and alcohol. It is found in veterinary anesthesia, and is a Class IV controlled substance. It's the traditional ingredient in a "Mickey Finn" and is an effective date rape drug. It's bitter, and might pass unnoticed in something like a cup of black coffee. If you were going to set somebody up (like a Sheriff with a history of drinking) this would be a pefect way to do it. It would also explain why so many people who attended the dinner seemed to tell the same story about Wall's observed behavior . . . they didn't see him drink anything.

So, when Sheriff Wall claimed that he had not consumed anything that would have impaired his ability to drive, maybe he was talking about a cup of black coffee.

This kind of thing could be done to ANY of us. There are obviously a lot of people around who have an axe to grind with Gary Wall, and I'd be looking for connections between them and the dinner.

The implied consent law is generally a good thing for our society, but just like any other law, it can be used against an innocent person by a corrupt system. Planting evidence to frame an innocent person is an old story in the history of law enforcement in this country.

I wish Wall had taken the test. However, a few drops of chloral hydrate would explain everything, including his behavior on the night of the stop, and the conspiracy which Wall claimed in his hearing before the board that took his license away.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh pleeeze. Are you serious? If he was doped, don't you think he would have recognized that he was effected in some way and become suspicious of that? Is it also possible that aliens abducted Wall, doped him, planted a chip in his brain to control his actions, then placed him behind the wheel of his cruiser the night of the stop? Your posts on this topic have become rambling and non-credible, making you completely incapable of being believed. The reason why people have stopped posting is not because you have "hit the nail on the head". It's because "the coffin has been nailed shut" on this one. It's over, it's done, points have been made, and it is what it is.......

fish 6 years, 11 months ago

Have you noticed that sbvor has not made any posts on this thread, makes you wonder doesn't it. Why is he so quiet on this subject? Here are a few theories, he has his own DUI history or he was once a public official who was recalled. Could this possibly be a recalled county official, makes you wonder doesn't it.

Also wouldn't it be funny if Wall were able to get off by using a coment that Dundalk made while shooting her mouth off on this forum after the election, wow that would be just to rich!

bubba 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow- I stopped reading this thread a while ago, and just checked in to see what you all are still talking about... We've moved on to the 'he was given a date rape drug' scenario?!?! That's great! Good work, everyone!

Now, let's re-count: Wall's girlfriend said that he had a drink. Thus there is evidence that he was drinking. He was behind the wheel of the car that the officer pulled over, thus there is evidence that he was driving (that is unless I missed the part of the conspiracy where someone drugged him and put him behind the wheel of a car on the side of the road, and the officer just 'pretended' to pull him over). For those of you keeping track at home, this means he was Drinking AND Driving in the same night. When a test was requested by the cops, he refused it. This means that there is evidence he was drinking and driving, and he refused his one opportunity to provide evidence that he was under the legal limit.

I know he is innocent until proven guilty and all of that, but it sure seems like I'd rather be the prosecutor than the defense attorney in this one. I wonder if the Sheriff's office has enough fluff in their budget to hire OJ's guy, he could probably work with the 'I may have been slipped a mickey' defense...

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

"A drink" would never have had an effect on a man Wall's size.

If the sheriff of this county had more than two drinks in an hour and then drove a car, yeah, he deserves to lose his license and lose his office.

So why would a person with that much to lose go out and do it in public?

Take it from there, folks. You figure it out. It doesn't make sense.

blahblahblah 6 years, 11 months ago

Conspiracy? No. Drunk? Yes. See you on the sidewalks, Wall.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

And a better lawyer would shoot down Dundalk's "bounty" since that was allegedly coming from the spouse of an officer from SSPD. The stop was made by CSP: 2 Different divisions of law enforcement, just as the RCSO is a separate division.

If you can attribute that statement to the CSP, then you can attribute not being arrested and being let go to Wall using his Sheriff's influence to get out of it. Both are hearsay suppositions until an IA hearing would come into play and check all three divisions.

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

to all you posters. first...a very happy new year and best wishes for a bountiful new year. may all your dreams and wishes come true.

second...i kid you not when i say that the movie classic with clark gable and charles laughton, mutiny on the bounty, remains one of my most treasured favorites. it was just on late night t.v. a week ago.

my dog knocked over his water pail the other day and i am so happy i had a bounty of papertowels to soak up the copious amounts of fluid.

today is my birthday...and i am so happy with the bounty of well wishes from friends.

you guys made me laugh today. thanks.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

So the newest theory is that the Sheriff was covertly drugged. Because:

a) He may have been investigating political corruption b) He may have been investigating breaches of HOA fiduciary duties. c) He may have been investigating drug smuggling by the power elite d) He may have been investigating judicial misconduct e) He didn't find DARE financially responsible g) He didn't find Elder Watch financially responsible h) He may have been looking into AMWAY distribution from public vehicles by officers on duty i) He may have been looking into Stompk's unidentified condensation trails j) He may have been investigating Stompk's illuminati k) He may have been looking into Animal Control abuses l) He may have been looking into Retail Theft by employees m) He may have been investigating the real cause behind 9/11

Or maybe he was just tipsy enough and thought the best approach was to fight the charge via all legal loopholes availabe.

I grant you that both theories are possible id04sp, but remember Occam's Razor?

AmebaTost 6 years, 11 months ago

If we lived in Mayberry Wall could be Andy & Ottis.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Or, maybe not . . .

Hadley,

He made his living discrediting CSP officers who stopped people for DUI. Did you miss that part?

There's one thing that chloral hydrate explains with great clarity. He would have appeared "drunker" ten minutes after leaving the dinner than he did ten minutes before leaving the dinner. That's sorta backwards from what you'd expect for somebody who had been over-indulging at the dinner, isn't it?

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

Again, id04sp, I concur that your theory is plausible, but highly unlikely. I can think of a multitude of ways to covertly set someone up that wouldn't entail the risk that you are assuming someone was willing to engage in and for what? Who in the CSP was personally destroyed by Wall's tactics? Now if you could show me that he was hot on the trail of some serious misdoings then you'ld have my ear. I haven't heard him play that card yet have you? Regardless, I shall keep an open mind as I have been around long enough to see stranger things come to be.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Plus, forgive me for being lazy and not providing 2000 links to the same thing, but wasn't Wall caught in a DUI type situation before?

How many people here have ever seen Wall at a bar drinking? my hand goes up from seeing him at...rhymes with Texas

Did I see him drive home? No. He was still there as we left after eating dinner. Not sure how he got home.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

I do think that there are a lot of conspiracies out there in the world, but not EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Hadley,

Just consider the incredible good luck that two CSP officers happened to be nearby when Wall left the dinner.

Consider that the sheriff's vehicle would be clearly identifiable as a law-enforcement vehicle by anyone as observant as a CSP officer.

Have you ever heard of the CSP pulling over an unmarked RCSO vehicle? Wouldn't you really expect that a CSP officer, upon seeing the government tag and other identifying characteristics of a police vehicle, would break off from pursuit of a fellow officer? You're telling me that the CSP automatically turns on the blue lights and pulls over any oncoming vehicle that fails to dim the lights?

CoJustice 6 years, 11 months ago

Ido4: Public money = Public Information, simple. Who is paying the attorney fees for this? If public money is paying, you should be able to get a copy of his attorney's invoice, if not you will have to wait until the trial is over to obtain transcripts.

The public "Drunks Are Victims" town meeting that Wall sponsored was the same defense that he is using today, I am a Victim! , Plant suspicion; insinuate doubt, bla, bla, bla and Wall accused all the departments, the Sheriffs Office, SSPD and CSP. Wall is hoping for jury members just like you, professional victims.

Don't you see anything wrong with the fact that Wall has a problem with ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT in regards to DUI's? This has been going on for years. Try the archives and find the old stories.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

Fair enough id04sp, but along that same line of thinking it is also possible that someone tipped them off which would be legal. Personally, I think that you are engaging in cognitive disonance because you have such disdain for the people that screwed you over. I think that you were so hoping that Wall would bring about change if not directly champion your just cause. It is painful for me to see an intelligent person like you push all of your chips in on what overwhelmingly looks like a losing horse. I do however respect your opinion enough to keep an open mind and await the trial to see if anything murkey comes to light.

bubba 6 years, 11 months ago

Wait, I don't get it- supposing ID's conspiracy is the truth (which is a HUGE stretch) Wall is therefore intoxicated without his own knowledge, having unknowingly been drugged. Now then, why would he refuse a breathalyzer? Even if he suspected he had been drugged, would the drugs show up on a breathalyzer? I thought they just tested for alcohol?

Once again, Wall had 'a drink' and then drove, and then refused a breath test. That is drinking and driving, and if he wasn't worried that he would fail the breath test, I see no reason why he would have refused it- as a cop, he must know that refusing a test has much more serious implications than taking one that shows you haven't been drinking.

Imagine this scenario, which seems most plausible to me: Wall has a drink (or three), then leaves. CSP sees vehicle that does not dim lights, turns around to pull it over. Realizes it's the sheriff (thinks 'Oh boy, I got him') then proceeds to perform their job, the same way they do every time they pull someone over. The driver refuses the requested test, and is ticketed as such.

The only parts of this scenario that are not on record are in parentheses. Maybe the CSP was out to get him, maybe not. Maybe if they weren't, they would have ended the 'pursuit' when they saw the RCSO plate. BUT the facts of the case are still that the sheriff was drinking and then driving and then refused a sobriety test. These facts don't change whether or not the sheriff was drugged, or whether the CSP was out to get him. Thus, there is no reason for me to believe that he was NOT violating this state's DUI laws. If you want to believe otherwise, knock yourself out.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

what ever happened to "One Adam 12 to Sheriff! One Adam 12 to Sheriff! Hey you got your brights on, better dim 'em! Uh Roger copy that. Thanks. Roger Wilco 10-4! One Adam 12, over and out?"

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

Many cops have been pulled over by other cops while they are in their unmarked cruisers. I have many cop friends who have been in other towns, on trainings, and had local law enforcement pull them over for many different reasons. The Sheriff's unmarked car looks like any county department head's car. The only thing that would have stood out when the trooper made the stop was that the vehicle had a government plate. Once the trooper made that realization, the stop was already made and the trooper was calling in the plate number into dispatch.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

All of you have some very good points. It's very probable that you are right.

When's the next hearing, etc?

1234 6 years, 11 months ago

id ,you are talking out of both ends again, are you just trying to start sh-t?, or do you really believe the things you say? because you for one know what Wall should have done if he was legal. also you for one should know what he was trying to cover if he was not. so if you have been there done that, quit acting like there is two sides to this story, because there is not

dogd 6 years, 11 months ago

ID: Hadleyburg pretty much nailed your case. Period.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

If wishful thinking could make something come true, a lot more people than Gary Wall would be in the news . . . .

What we have here are 112 posts that the defense can use to support a petition for a change of venue on the grounds of excess pre-trial publicity.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of the people posting already consider Mr. Wall to be guilty. He can't get a fair trial in Steamboat Springs.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Doggy,

Despite what you and Hadley may think, I don't need your approval.

Same for Miss Numbers . . .

Amoeba . . . what if I am?

Know what's really going to happen? Gary Wall will still be the sheriff this time next year, and he'll have his license back. The recall petitions will fail.

Are you out outraged over this situation? Do you think it's not right? Well, if so, I'd say you are engaging in cognitive disonance because you have such disdain for the people that screwed you over by allowing things to get to this point in Routt County.

So, how's it feel?

CoJustice 6 years, 11 months ago

Ido4: That arrogant confidence is what got Wall into trouble on all levels. You may be right that he wont be recalled, until there are enough victims, people don't want any enforcement, that why Wall got rid of all the programs.

It will only be until Wall self-destructs, that the County Commissioners or the Attorney General will be forced to take some kind of action. Its just a matter of time

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

CoJo,

You are right that arrogance leads to downfall. The problem with all these local yokels is that there is basically no enforcement from the state level down. It takes the attention of the feds before anything meaningful will happen.

The feds have "tripwire" criteria for various actions. One of them, for example, is that the IRS doesn't devote resources to an investigation of a corporaton until the tax owed exceeds two million dollars.

Another is that the DOJ does not investigate "color of law" violations as criminal offenses unless force or threat of force are employed. Obviously, the civil cases they take on have to meet certain criteria too, among them being widespread media coverage of civil rights violations.

When you step back and take a look at Routt County, you don't see violent crime or any of the other tripwire conditions that rise to the attention of anybody, including the state AG. They just don't have the resources to devote to investigation of things like an alleged DUI by a sheriff. Who really cares about a law enforcement organization as small as the RCSO? Nobody outside the county.

When you call the Colorado Department of Revenue to report tax evasion, they tell you flatly that they take no action unless the IRS is involved. Call the IRS, and they don't spend more on an investigation than they can recover. The whole system operates on the assumption that people act in good faith. Other than that, they pretty much let us work it out for ourselves in small controversies. Small wrongs done on a local level just don't matter to anybody except the victims, and by small, I mean anything that only affects one or two parties.

Nobody at the state level cares about vindication of individual rights in anything other than direct, criminal action with tangible, physical evidence to support the charges. Anything else is too hard, or just not interesting enough compared to other cases which involve violence.

Personally, I am finding it very hard to see that anything Gary Wall has done has caused injury to anyone in the county. I think he has improved everything he has touched in the RCSO. From winches on patrol vehicles to sending a deputy home to North Routt in his county vehicle, it all looks good to me. It's better than it was a year ago. Dare I say it -- Gary Wall is a better sheriff when he's drunk than John Warner was when he was sober? You can decide which part of that statement is the sadder condition.