Police set sights on community center in downtown Oak Creek

— To give local kids a safe and supervised place to play, the Oak Creek Police Department is working to establish a community center in one of downtown Oak Creek's vacant storefronts. The center could open its door early next year.

Oak Creek Police Chief Russ Caterinicchio envisions the community center as a place local kids will want to go, with pool and foosball tables, arcade games and a DVD library.

"The idea is to give these kids a place to play and do something, instead of walking around the streets and getting in trouble," Caterinicchio said. "The kids out here have no place to go."

The Oak Creek Police Department has been aggressively enforcing loitering and curfew in recent months. While Caterinicchio said he does not like giving kids summonses, the police force does not have a lot of other options at the present time.

While the primary problem in Oak Creek is kids being out late at night without adult supervision, the town has also seen juveniles committing offenses such as vandalism or getting involved in other mischief, such as lighting off fireworks, Caterinicchio said.

Use of the community center would not be restricted only to kids from Oak Creek, but would be available to all of South Routt.

"This would be available to kids from Yampa, Phippsburg, anyone who wants to come," Caterinicchio said.

When her kids were growing up, they had nothing to do in the summer other than baseball, Oak Creek resident Ann Klumker said.

"I think it's a great idea," Klumker said. "I hope it happens."

Creating a safe place with adult supervision is key not just to keeping kids out of trouble in Oak Creek, but also keeping them safe, Caterinicchio said.

"When children are out when they shouldn't be, they're vulnerable," Caterinicchio said. "They're vulnerable to injury, to accidents. They can be hit by cars. We have registered sex offenders in town."

The community center not only would serve a great need in South Routt, but would also a proactive way to prevent juveniles from getting into trouble, Caterinicchio said.

"I'm trying to balance my law enforcement with public service, and keep my ears open to needs in the community," Caterinicchio said.

Caterinicchio has been in talks with businesses and individuals seeking sponsorships, as well as the Boys & Girls Club of Craig, which he considers very successful in that community.

The police department will also start participating in the federal Volunteers in Police Service program in January, and the community center could be under its auspices, Caterinicchio said.

- To reach Melinda Dudley, call 871-4203

or e-mail mdudley@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

bluntman 6 years, 7 months ago

i agree mus kno;

foo foo coffee drinks being served in the OC could be a sure sign that civilization as we know it is in irreversible decline.

flotilla 6 years, 7 months ago

Jane is applying for a permit so she can have a wine bar. It would be a nice place to go other than to a bar... think Off the Beaten Path... and be open to nice establishments with good people running them to have good ideas. Curiousity then solved, mustknow, or is there something else?

Dukebets 6 years, 7 months ago

Colorado 123 - You seem to imply that the owners' of liquor licenses in OC tend to serve minors. Pretty bold statement............I bet Virginia, David, Doug, Tina, Jay, and Shirley disagree. Do you have proof that OC liquor sellers serve the minors? My guess is no proof and you're just another looking for a reason to bash Oak Creek.

oofcboy 6 years, 7 months ago

black mountain the bomb in reastrants,are we trying to keep this a secret

flotilla 6 years, 7 months ago

I still don't quite follow this thread, mostly CO 123... what is the problem with people drinking when it is legal and they are of legal age. With 800 people in a town, of course there is going to be some that drink a lot. But not all 800. The rest of us will do as we please... and are not contributing to the poor parenting of those whose children are out walking the streets at 3am. Those people need to take care of their own issues and Mugshots having or not having a liquor license isn't going to change that one bit. CO123, it would seem as though you have a major problem with drinking. So, maybe re-evaluate drinking and the responsible people that do so... and continue to chose to avoid it... or move to utah? There are bad apples around every bend; bad drivers, bad parents, bad neighbors, bad cooks, bad babysitters, scary situations waiting for you at every path that life presents. You can't say, "no more of this", to each and every bad or potentially bad thing in life. take care of yourself, raise your children well- if you have them, and continue to learn and grow until you are dead.
Finally, the Mugshot isn't another Colorado or Elks, it is a place for a wonderful pastry chef to delight us with her culinary efforts and to have a glass of wine... or 3... if I so desire. I think this is immensely different than the Colorado, which has a place in my heart as well. So, start a boys and girls club... do it up. put your ideas to work. Start a carpool to the pool in steamboat, or the movies... or whatever... Or post your signs... if kids can't find things to do in the Flattops or at the library or at home then I just don't know what to say; except... wine at the Mugshot won't hurt them.

justathought 6 years, 7 months ago

Some of these comments are scary, [9 different places here to buy alcoholic beverages] and not all 800 drink [alot], so how can OC support another liquor license? Which already established business will suffer? Don't say none unless you sprout new drinkers with the issuance of a new license. Wouldn't it be to OC's best interest to promote new types of business (a coffee shop) that doesn't take away from already established businesses? Does every business in OC need a liquor license to survive? BTW, are they after a beer and wine license or a full fledged liquor license (if there's still a difference)?

flotilla 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't know if a beer/wine license is available... I know she is applying for a liquor license. As I mentioned before... maybe not clearly enough... there are a lot of people that don't want to go to the Colorado for a glass of cheap wine (no offense) or people that want to go to Black mountain to listen or watch sports... SO, the mugshot would be providing a different sort of environment and a different sort of opportunity for people to go meet a friend or whoever... to have dessert or a glass of wine. Why, you ask, do business owners need a liquor license to survive? Because, a lot of people work in Steamboat, commuting, so when they get home to Oak Creek at night, what are they going to do unless they stay at home? 1. colorado... 2. black mtn... 3.elks... 4. Dinty Moores NOW what do you see in similarity... they all have the same ambiance, same food, same everything. Why shouldn't a business owner be creative and hit up a new market? As we all know, OC is changing, a little, so instead of saying "no" to all these, how else does one break through the chain? Should one of the existing establishments have to close in order to have someone else sell liquor? like that is going to happen. so how else should we embrace change... there isn't much for a working person to do after 6:30pm when it is dark. what is wrong with options?

flotilla 6 years, 7 months ago

excuse me, a single, non-parent to do after 6:30.

Scott Wedel 6 years, 7 months ago

I do not accept that there is "nothing for kids to do" in Oak Creek. Besides the ice rink, there are the sledding hill at Decker Park, local telemark trails, gym classes, dance classes, and open night volleyball. I doubt that is a complete list.

The real issue is that the kids that are doing nothing are generally doing exactly what they want to do. At the very least, there is nothing else they'd rather be doing. The kids that "have nothing to do" are doing nothing every day of the week. It is not as if the issue is that kids have something to do some nights a week, but then are problems other nights. No, the kids doing nothing are doing it most every night.

And at the heart of the problem is that there are a few, certainly not all, parents that have given up on supervising or controlling their kids. And when those kids are getting away with it then it creates huge peer pressure on other kids to join in on the "fun".

If someone has a plan to do something and has kids interested in doing it, then that would be great. I just do not accept the premise that if OC were to build it then they would come.

Scott Wedel 6 years, 7 months ago

Also, to the organizers of the summer thursday soccer night at Decker Park. Can we please make it last the whole wummer? Please ask for whatever is needed to make it last the summer.

bluntman 6 years, 7 months ago

i can't believe it... i find myself almost in complete agreement with something that Scott has said.

tmac62 6 years, 7 months ago

if you are in THE BOAT why do you care about oc? is it that you are in oc and afraid to say so

flotilla 6 years, 7 months ago

Sure, you could try a logical question but you can't seem to create one. 1. Do you want your kids to be where registerd and non registerd sex offenders can prey upon your kids in the OC?

I'm sorry, this makes no sense. please try again.

1. If it will not cost you a cent as taxpayer why do you care anyway?

Did anyone here oppose this?

1. I do not oppose booze or the other stuff"I DO oppoose when parents abuse there kids as a result that they cannot find someone bigger to pick on.

your post co123, "And why do we need another watering hole in the OC? IF THE VITTLES SPEAK GOOD ENOUGH WHY THE LIQUIDS?" still trying to make sense of this... STILL can't.

1. I would like to know why the people in the OC DO NOT WANT A POLICE AND WHAT IS THE CURRENT POLICE CHIEF AND THE NEW SGT DOING THAT YOU DO NOT WANT HIM?

Respect. From what I hear, if Erik and Russ showed a little respect for people here in town, and understood that although there are laws, there is also good judgement calls. No one here needs or wants to be under the whip of a couple power-hungry cops. You don't sit outside a bar and harass patrons... and you can't refute this, CO123 because you just said you don't have a problem with booze or the other stuff (other stuff? meth? pot? crack cocaine?) you say they aren't here to babysit kids? So, are they here to babysit adults? And finally, for your logical sermon from your rock in the boat... " WANT POLICE AND I AM HOPING SOME OF THE METH HOMES ARE BULLDOZED AND BURNED DOWN. I AM HOPING THAT BILL RITTER BUILDS MORE ESCAPE PROOF JAILS. FROM MY ROCK IN THE BOAT" I AM WATCHING.... THE OC ROCKS.... WE LOVE YOU CHIEF RUSS AND ERIK WE SALUTE YOU....." Well, if you live on a rock in the boat, you have plenty, including your Wonton Wall the joke of the town... maybe he'll have trouble escaping from Gov. Ritter's new jails so he can't torment other towns. doesn't seem like you think the OC rocks, it seems like you think Erik and Russ rock. The OC was the OC before they got there. And, maybe worry about some of the issues that surround the city of Steamboat before you hop onto forums and vomit words that make. no. sense.

tmac62 6 years, 7 months ago

if you are not at the bar and not giving him a bac how do you know where he as been

tmac62 6 years, 7 months ago

mausknosumpin how do you know who does he brag to tell us colo 123 do you even live inOC

candylane 6 years, 7 months ago

What happens in May? Colo123 you keep referring to something. My son is going to Iraq, but I don't think that is what you are referring to!

flower 6 years, 7 months ago

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! Did any of you read the article you are commenting on? It is not the responsability of the businesses to fund your child care, it is the community.
Oh and Registered sex offenders are everywhere, not just Oak Creek.

justathought 6 years, 7 months ago

flower says [It is not the responsability of the businesses to fund your child care, it is the community.] Sorry, I happen to think it's your own responsibility to fund your own childcare, it should NOT be up to the community. You have them, you take care of them, it's that simple.

tmac wants to know where colorado123 lives, on his/her first post he/she talks about the OC police officers by saying "We are lucky to have these two fine men" and "A quick Word of Thanks to our Police Officers" which makes it sound like he/she lives in OC. His/her second post says "I live in Denver", and then he/she starts signing with things like From my view pad in the Boat.. Not that it really matters where they live, they're still entitled to an opinion, this is just an observation that amused me.

flower 6 years, 7 months ago

justathought, I do agree with you, parents should take more responsability for their kids.

tmac62 6 years, 7 months ago

thats not me justathought better lean to read and buy the way its he

flotilla 6 years, 7 months ago

co123 call the town for whatever event you are looking for in Oak Creek in May 736-2422

justathought 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry tmac, but it's not I that needs to learn to read. I quote your post above "colo 123 do you even live inOC", which I then started my post with "tmac wants to know where colorado123 lives (small difference but not much), and that is you. I then go into colorado123's posts where he/she basically describes living in three different places, actually trying to point something out to you. So I do not upset you any further, I'll refrain from acknowledging you in the future.

aristocat 6 years, 7 months ago

enough with the nasties tim....no one is knocking you so play nice!