Binsfield: Coulter, Dowd rude

— As usual with both Ann Coulter and Maureen Dowd, I can't get through their columns. They are just too rude, although Ann Coulter usually exceeds Maureen Down in rudeness by a factor of 10. Ann Coulter's comment about Al Gore (Friday) was once again over the top. She makes a living doing this. If your readers like this kind of writing, I say keep printing it. I believe in the free press. I have to admit, I find it is a bit scary that people give her any credence at all. Below is a quote from her column that appeared in Friday's Steamboat Today and a letter I would like to send her.

She says of Al Gore in her column:

"For you kids too young to remember, Al Gore is a vaguely gay, morbidly obese former Clinton administration official who raised campaign cash from Buddhist monks and claimed he invented the Internet."

Dear Ann,

If you want to bring the young kids up to speed on Al Gore, you might mention he was vice president of the United States for 8 years. He had a distinguishing career in both the U.S. House of Representative and the Senate. You might not want to dis someone for associating with Buddhist monks who preach world peace but that might not serve your purpose. Go ahead and pick on Gore for being fat. Your good looks will not last forever. Oh yes, slam the gays as if they don't already have enough problems with bigoted and hateful people. And stretch the truth again and say Al Gore claims he invented the Internet. I suspect you know the truth of what he said, but if you repeat this falsehood enough, even well-meaning intelligent people will start to believe it. Never mind mentioning that former Vice President Gore is a Nobel Peace Prize winner and once received the most popular votes in an election to become President of the United States. In case you really think Gore claimed he invented the Internet, please go to the following link: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp.

Greg Binsfeld

Steamboat Springs

Comments

wissbecklarry 7 years ago

Ann Coulter is pretty, invective, vituperative and mean. Look at the picture, turn the page.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Get rid of both Dowd & Coulter and bring back Dave Barry.

freshair 7 years ago

Ann is brilliant. The ease with which she skewers every Liberal 'talking point' is a thing of beauty. There is no slander too vile or outrageous for the Liberal media and its lackeys to label any Conservative. Witness the disgusting names they have called members of the current administration. I don't recall Mr Binsfeld expressing his outrage at those truly despicable remarks in this forum.

What really chafes these tenderfoots rear ends is the wonderful humor Ann employs in her writings. The left, like the juvenile creations they are, cannot stand to be publicly exposed as foolish and illogical. To have it done with the biting humor Ann employs, makes it even more unbearable for them.

dundalk 7 years ago

Poor Greg. Did Ann Coulter hurt your feelings?

Ann makes a living out of turning stomachs with her more than often accurate and dead on linguistic jabs at open targets. Al Gore just happens to be a very easy target.

The Buddhist temple which you speak of, Hsi Lai Temple in California, inadvertently and illegally funneled over $100,000 to the DNC. Gore claims he did not know the monks were asked for money - which by the way would be a federal violation of tax laws which govern tax exempt religious insitution and campaign monies. The DNC reimbursed over $55,000 back to Buddhist nuns. Gore may have also violated the Pendelton Act of 1883 in the whole mess.

Whether or not the Buddhist practices preach peace is not relevant in this case. Law is law.

During a March 1999 interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Al Gore was quoted as saying, "During my service in the U.S. Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet". Sounds like someone trying to pad their resume a bit. Personally, I like the other jab about how Gore invented pants.

Have you looked at Al Gore lately. He is morbidly obese. Coulter simply points out the obvious. Maybe Gore is spending too much time eating refreshments in front of the Internet.

Since Ann Coulter makes her money by turning the english language on end, who's to say that "gay" isn't being referenced as another term for happy. I don't know about you, but when I look at Al Gore's facce, through his morbid obesity, I see a rather gay looking fellow; happy little Al Gore.

As for Gore's peace prize. I can't figure out how Gore manages to sell his pile of horse poo to the world when he is jetting around the world in his big fuel sucking jet, and living high on the hog in his energy wasting Tennessean mansion.

Poor Greg...you need to lighten up a bit.

justathought 7 years ago

It's easy to be gay (happy) when you're in your own little world and millions blindly follow. Now, where is that rabbit hole?

Oscar 7 years ago

Liberals just don't understand or appreciate good humor, especially when it touches a sensitive nerve. The syndicated columns reprinted by the SP&T are one of the few things that makes the paper worth reading, and Ann's one of the best among them.

stmbtprof 7 years ago

Greg,I appreciate what you wrote. I just wish someone would call Ann coulter the nasty terms she has used on gore, Edwards and others. Perhaps someone should question her feminity. Have you conervatives ever noticed her large adams apple huge feet and hands.. A transvetsite or is he a drag queen.???

Take that Ann...and I am shocked by the narrowminded, ignorant comments by the above right wingers....hmm guess they like the propaganda and fallacies used by Coulter..or perhaps not quite with it enough to know the difference between satire, irony and being plain rude and sensational.

colobob 7 years ago

Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize too, of course he also let 54 Americans rot in Iran for 444 days. Quite possibly the worst President in the history of the United States. Too bad Gore didn't get elected, he would have bumped Carter out of the number one spot. Maybe Carter and Chubby invented the internet together.

freshair 7 years ago

Wow, stmbtprof, you certainly qualify for a full membership with all accruing rights and privileges in the Demented Left. By the way, I have been close enough to Ms. Coulter to certify that at approx 40 years of age, she is still one Sexy Babe, tall and willowy with beautiful long blonde hair.

grannyrett 7 years ago

Maybe Ann Coulter wouldn't make the top ten on Miss Manners list, but more often than not, she hits the nail on the head. The liberal left can't seem to even think for themselves any more. They just parrot what their leaders tell them. Ann must stay up nights just thinking of ways to get their goat, and it works! Hee! Hee! Oh well, isn't there something about staying out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat? Gotta love her!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

And yet everyone on the right parrots what their leaders tell them. No difference.

grannyrett 7 years ago

I figured out last night while listening to talk radio why liberals are heard more often than conservatives. Listen real close kielbasa. A conservative was taught manners from their parents. If someone else is talking, you shut your mouth and listen. Heck-you might learn something even listening to an opposing viewpoint. A liberal won't listen to anybody. When the conservative tries to say something, the liberal rants and raves and talks right over the top of them. Manners-manners-manners! If anyone has a different viewpoint-they are wrong, cause we all know that liberals know everything and are always right. So, kielbasa, if you would pay attention, you would find that most of us are just regular guys who want our laws enforced. Not just immigration laws-all our laws. Not just our neighbors to the south, anyone who comes into this country illegally. Not just the southern border, but anyone who comes in by land, sea, or air. If you are green, purple, or pink, and you don't have the proper documents to be in this country-GET OUT! If you have overstayed your visa-GO HOME!

suckerfreeforlife 7 years ago

So, first you admit AC has the manners of a street girl working the docks in jersey, but attempt to enable her with some goofy "tee hee hee, if you cant stand the heat" comment.

Then, barely 8 hours later, you procede to lecture everyone on how important manners are after all.

What gives? Flip flop much?

summerbird 7 years ago

Is anyone holding a gun to your head making you read Ann Coulter's column? If you think you will be offended, don't read it! If her particular brand of satire is too much for you, that's OK. Watch CNN instead of Fox News. This is still a democracy as long as we are offered both sides of the discussion and we decide what we want to read, watch and listen.

Why aren't you speaking out about people with other (than liberal) points of view being shouted down and disrupted on college campuses all over the country. So much for our halls of higher learning being a venue for the free exchange of ideas! Now that's rude!

Scientist's with different opinions on global warming are labeled as kooks. Now that's rude!

Why is it that liberals like to dish it out but don't like to take it?

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

grannyrett- I do listen. That's what makes me laugh, especially if you consider Coulter (or even Dowd for that matter) as a representative of...how did you put it? "If someone else is talking, you shut your mouth and listen. Heck-you might learn something even listening to an opposing viewpoint. A liberal won't listen to anybody. When the conservative tries to say something, the liberal rants and raves and talks right over the top of them." (You mean like Hannity or O'Reilly?) You actually haven't ever watched Coulter in an interview, have you? Keep marchin' lock-step! LOL! To paraphrase suckerfreeforlife: Did you just Kerry your assessment of Coulter?

Summerbird: so are you a conservative who acknowledges "science" as "opinion?" Whoa! Get'em SBvor! Summerbird just debunked all your links as the equivalent of opinion!!!

Ohhhhhh, this just gets better and better!!

Jonathan Casson 7 years ago

Regardless of their viewpoints, at least Greg Binsfield and Ann Coulter have the courage to put their names behind their opinions.

fish 7 years ago

If Coulter, Dowd and Bill O'Reilly jumped off a bridge who would hit first?

Does it matter it would still make for a darn fine Christmas!

stmbtprof 7 years ago

fish....amen....and to you ignorant right wingers...hmmmm my family has been here since oh say the American revolution....I just believe in the constitution...created equal, The Bible.....do unto others as you would have them do unto you....and have compassion for fellow man, and grieve for those oppresses as in great words on statue of liberty..."give me your tired ...your poor...." I guess Steamboat is now give me your rich namecalling conservatives..and I am better than you are...I will waste no more time here....but try to do good and yes I am a blleeding heart liberal who cares for my fellow peopel no matter what their persuasion....I just feel the need to stick up for those who are being beaten...but now I will turn the other cheek and let you conservatives continue your squabble....I have real work to do to help people less fortunate myself.....you have my sympathy for your ignorance in being victims of propaganda of right wing talk radio hosts who are using you to make money and name for themselves.......oh yes and I would post my name but due to my career I do not want to influence people and do not give biased comments in my daily life or work. Here I may give my opinions and people are not influenced by who I am or what I do...

colobob 7 years ago

Personally, I think if any or all of the above three "realists" jumped off a bridge or the Empire State Building for that matter, they would just bounce back. By the way, Just one day after Jimmy Carter handed over the White House to Ronald Reagan the Iranian hostages were freed. I guess Iran must have realized that a conservative would actually do something instead of just talk about it. Not bad for a conservative if I do say so. I too have been close to Ann Coulter at one of her lectures and I think she's hot, but then I didn't happen to look at her feet.

colobob 7 years ago

Prof, Since you have taken it upon yourself to quote the Bible, here's one quote you might have missed. "Judge not lest ye be judged."

freshair 7 years ago

kielbasa, i got a newsflash for you...The 'opinion' part of the Global Warming frenzy is the debate over whether it is part of a naturally occuring cycle or whether it is largely due to man-made pollutants. Many, many of the leading climatologists in the world consider it a naturally occuring event.The fact that you are unaware of this ongoing debate only clarifies that you are so thoroughly brainwashed by all things Politically Correct that you are not even aware of the solid evidence, indeed much more compelling, in favor of the natural cycle explanation than the flimsy 'science' supporting the 'man-made' explanation.

stmbtprof 7 years ago

hmmmm arent you judging...?? and i dont think I named called...I didnt call Rush Limabaugh a big, fat pompous idiot....or you a stupid a.........&*^%....or even lumps all republicans together or conservatives...there are good and bad in alll . HOWEVERand by the way....the Iranians that took the hostages were very kind to their captees and and they came back alive...and it was all politics too make Jimmy Carter look bad.... what is the death count for the number that have been killed in this useless Iraqi war caused by George W.? ......and wow...hmm I guess by Ann Coulter being "hot" she must be accurate hmm....have you ever studied propaganda techniques....???I am afraid you are being duped.....by her hotness...T How about intellect???Integrity??? honesty???? otherwise get her in a drag queen show..i am sure you must know about those if you think she is hot!!!Or you privately watch at home..on video...now that is namecalling unjustly..colobod....see the difference... THE END>>>>

summerbird 7 years ago

Who says that you have to be rich to be conservative? I don't think so! In this town the majority of the liberal, politically correct are the rich who can afford to live here comfortably. The ones who waste the taxpayers money hiring "experts" to do studies on the problems.

mud 7 years ago

ann coulter, jon stwart, rush, bill mahr....entertainers. If you listen to any one of these people more than once it probably means you like it. you may like hearing things you agree with, or you may like getting pissed off, but in the end its just a show.

colobob 7 years ago

Prof, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Clinton that lobbed the first cruise missle into the Middle East to stir up a hornets nest or did you forget about or choose to ignore that fact? By your reaction and by your insults in your previous post I think you have demonstrated to all YOUR intellect. Have a "Merry Christmas" (notice the spelling) anyway or do you say (I wouldn't want to be politically incorrect) XMas.

colobob 7 years ago

Hey Prof, you said you family has been here since the American Revolution, I forgot to ask what time you folks serve High Tea at your house. Sorry, couldn't resist.

twostroketerror 7 years ago

Hate sells. Y'all are buying. Merry Christmas.

freshair 7 years ago

Hate certainly does sell...the two most common examples are the obscenities hurled at our President and his administration by the Whacked-out left and the violent disruptions on college campuses where Conservatives have been invited to speak. Meet today's New Fascists, the Radical Left.

tkdman 7 years ago

Frodo failed, W (Worst President ever) has the ring

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

"Hate certainly does sell...the two most common examples are the obscenities hurled at our President and his administration by the Whacked-out left..."

"Whacked-out left." So does that qualify as hateful or is that a spousal pet-name?

bubba 7 years ago

So name calling by a conservative is hitting the nail on the head, while name calling by a liberal is the most common example of hatred in this country... I think I'm starting to get it!

Where does turning homophobia into an election issue come in? I used to think it was fueled by hatred- is it really just an example of marksmanship with a hammer?

ModernMiner 7 years ago

People have way too much time on their hands, GET TO WORK!

mud 7 years ago

modern miner You come across a situation that sucks. You react by a)ignoring and walking away, or b)participating

mud 7 years ago

Sorry Svor, I've tried and failed. FIVE in one post?

bubba 7 years ago

sbvor, I, like many people, do not read your links. It was said earlier in this thread that liberals repeat what their leaders say. This would imply that conservatives don't, they just post unending links to what other conservatives have said. I don't really care about name calling at all, I just find it funny that this thread started because Ann Coulter couldn't bash Gore without resorting to name calling, and by halfway through, it was turned into a thread about how rude liberals are for their name calling and interrupting. I've never really thought of myself as a liberal, but your team is so much more fun to egg on, with your high horses and dogmatic political beliefs.

summerbird 7 years ago

Bubba: Dogmatic political beliefs!?!?!?! Look in the mirror. Nobody does DPB better than liberals!

fish 7 years ago

Ah! Look sbvor finally found himself a girl. Well they say that there is one for everyone. Bet ya have pictures of her next to your puter.

steamboatsconscience 7 years ago

OK I just couldn't help myself sbvor Are you going for 1000 boring posts by the first of the year? I think you will make it at this rate. you have way too much time on your hands. go find a hobby other than trying to prove that you can cut and paste stuff that no one, including your minions, will read. Brent Why did you delete letomayo's post? nothing was said in that post that Coulter hasn't said in her columns. Suppressing our First Amendment rights again? Oh wait, I believe the Bush Administration beat you to it.

freshair 7 years ago

If you're the typical dumb Liberal, and I mean dumb in the sense that you have no knowledge or interest in anything that happened more than 2 days ago, then yes, you most probably would consider any factual detailing of American history in the past 50 years, 'boring.' The current generation has a very, very short attention span. An assesment supported by various studies showing just how dismal the ordinary American's knowledge is of things historical and geographical.

ColoNative 7 years ago

stmbtprof - to quote you "the Iranians that took the hostages were very kind to their captees and and they came back alive." Since when was being held captive for such a long period of time, away from family, not knowing whether tomorrow would be the day you died, since when has this started being called "very kind". A terrorist is a terrorist and nothing can pay those people back for the lost months and emotional cruelty given by those "kind" Iranians. I pity you for the view point you have.

freshair 7 years ago

'Kind to their captives?" Where did you ever come up with that, stmbtprof? All the captives told stories of beatings and cruel treatment all thru their captivity.

Rusty 6 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Binsfeld, while biased towards a liberal perspective, makes an important point that many seem to have missed.

Binsfeld's main concern is not about the political point of view. It's about the sad state of affairs when political discussion reduces itself to childish name calling.

Can't we, as fellow citizens of this great country, present our arguments to each other respectfully?

An argument given clearly and respectfully can be understood and evaluated for the position it represents. The result is that it grows knowledge instead of opinion. And knowledge is a much better foundation than opinion for building judgment.

Our great democratic republic requires strength in judgment by its voting public to continue to succeed.

I say, save the insults and name calling for "reality TV".

Rusty 6 years, 11 months ago

It seems sbvor missed my point, as well as Mr. Binsfeld's. The loss of respectful communication hurts the learning process.

Sbvor, you has an agenda item worthy of discussion, but you bury it in hateful accusation, here in a thread about inappropriate insults and inuedos. You are guilty of the very point Mr. Binsfeld takes issue with.

I respectfully suggest sbvor write an objective letter to the editor about the Macarthy topic and we take up that discussion there.

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 11 months ago

SBVODelusion

How are the new med's treating you? Are they taking the pain of your pathetic existence away yet? No? Just take more, they'll get the job done. Better living through chemistry!

Its great to read your enabling of a vapid shrew like Coultergeist. It takes whatever marginal credibility you have and just obliterates it. Just like her attacks on the 9/11 widows.

I'd advise you to hitch your wagon to legitamate conservative pundits like Goldberg or Will, but that'd deprive Steamboat of your sublime ravings.

Dont go changin!

stmbtprof 6 years, 11 months ago

sbvor....my how wise you are..yes prof must stand for a teach at see me ski couldnt stand for a professional like a dr., attorney.... architect.... Hoda hafez.... a little farsi for you to munch on..and I am afraid you totally have your facts wrong or only listening to garbage from somoen like rush...obvious you are either highly ignorant and uneducated or educated and just extremely foolish...especially if all you have to do is rant and rave on thes posts...enshalla

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 11 months ago

Uber relevant? Are you 13? Is it, like, totally Uber relevant?

While your not munching Bon Bon's and tivo-ing episodes of Springer, i've no doubt you enjoy listening to the Coultergeist spew her irrational ahmadinajad-esque worldview for sheep like you to gobble up. As she's proven to be un-employable, she plays to her ovine base.

However, you've grossly mischaracterized her technique. She's the perp who cries that she's a victim. Like crying how the cops ruffed you up after you took a swing at one of them. Its really pathetic.

Since getting her to concede that water is wet usually takes the better part of a day, it may be true that she leaves people speechless, but not for the reason you assert. Its more like the speechlessness after listening to amadinajad spin his equally misguided and delusional worldview. At some point you just let a psycho be a psycho.

Always a pleasure.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

pt22 shame on you! that was not the word I was thinking of. but if it was I'm sure Coulter would take it as a compliment, as well as being in her vocabulary. have it deleted if you want I dont give a p***! sucker Coultergeist! ROTFLMAO! sbvor you really need to get somewhere with some sun, your SAD is showing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal... Most people with SAD experience unipolar depression, but as many as 20% may have or go on to develop a bipolar or manic-depressive disorder. In these cases, persons with SAD may experience depression during the winter and hypomania in the summer. here's some light reading for you: http://alcuinbramerton.blogspot.com/2007/07/nesara-announcement-expected-in-run-up.html

"He who ad hominems' last, ad hominems' best"

Rusty 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm afraid I'll never get to the point where I have to call people names to get my point across. If I can't communicate my view respectfully and get like in return, I recognize the meaninglessness of the discussion and move on. See ya!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

SAD? I've been calling sbvor SAD for years! As in: "It's SAD that sbvor has no life beyond an infatuation with Ann Coulter, who will never return said love unless it's COD." LOL!!!

All this time sbvor was actually diseased! Looks like sbvor's next identity will be Thomas Covenant. (go ahead, sbvor: Wiki Thomas Covenant so you can get the only experience of reading a wonderful (long) series of books instead of actually reading them. I guess back in your age (ages ago- using Medicare now??) it was called "Cliff-noting" instead of really doing the work.)

Michael Brumbaugh 6 years, 11 months ago

Matt -- always was a fan of old Thomas C. myself. Another great reason to like you! And, thanks for the thoroughly irreligious version of "Hallelujah"! Peace...

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

My pleasure, Mike! I always thought it should have had a sub-title: "Couldn't Quite Get a Handel On It."

freshair 6 years, 11 months ago

Either you know the material under discussion or you don't. The usual suspects are, as usual, totally clueless on the McCarthy era. An era in which many mid-level and high-level government employees were working for Communist Russia. Now if you boys and girls of the Liberal-Left spent a little more time in your wasted lives actually acquiring knowledge you would not be the ignorant yahoos that you are. Name-calling when you cannot rebut a statement of fact is the recourse of a child. And children you all are.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

freshair: So this means you saw the show, then, correct? The point was the sbvor DIDN'T see the show and only (as always) ASSumed what happened. It is a FACT that sbvor didn't see the show thru admission in this very thread, so sbvor falls under your equation of:

"Now if you boys and girls of the Liberal-Left spent a little more time in your wasted lives actually acquiring knowledge you would not be the ignorant yahoos that you are."

So did you see the show or are you a wasted-life Liberal-Left that you describe? Disparaging the show unseen means not acquiring the knowledge you speak of.

Thanks, freshair! I've got you to thank for helping me prove my point!

Besides: sbvor never steps up when challenged; why should anyone else return the courtesy?

Also, show me where I (in particular, in this thread) disputed the Global Warming science? All I argued was that sbvor didn't see the show and the only real politicization pertaining to the show was on this thread and not in the show.

Can you prove that wrong?

dogd 6 years, 11 months ago

Freshair: The point of the McCarthy scandal is not that everything he said or did was wrong. Just that he destroyed a lot of innocent people while he was at it.

He was a divider of Americans, and a cancer, therefore, much more than a cure.

Ann Coulter is a divider of Americans, and a cancer much more than a cure. You think that she is brilliant? That tells us only that you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Just like Hitler, much of what she says has a certain element of plausible truth- and those who are Americans-( first) see that she goes beyond actual truth- and deals in hateful spin- just like EVERY single true-believer of hers who attempts to express themselves on this forum.

People who reject shallow, hateful neo-con spin are not all LIBERALS. They are AMERICANS. Time now to leave the Michael Moores and Ann Coulters both to hating fools. It's a lot harder to think than blindly spout (and copy and paste). Being an American requires you to think.

Thinkers don't like the Moores and Coulters quite so much.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

If Coulter could deal with FACTS, then she'd excel in her chosen field as a lawyer. How many cases did she win with FACTS in court? Oh yeah: SHE DIDN'T win any cases in court. That's why she moved on to being a pundit: it's much easier to convince people when not in court.

freshair 6 years, 11 months ago

A 'certain element' of truth? Do you mean as in 'a little bit pregnant'? Well, that's certainly a useful rhetoric device for acknowledging the 'Truth' of what she writes while still maintaining a slightly-less-than-firm stand on the facts of the issue.If dissecting the absurdities of the Democratic Liberal left is 'dividing' the country, then I say, Divide On. Coulter provides a much needed jolt of common sense combined with a keen grasp of the FACTS. But her most wonderful technique is the humor she uses which has always been the most effective and biting tool of any political satirist. Of course people on the Left are very angry at her. Nobody likes being publicly exposed as a fool. As for McCarthy, to imply that a nation should allow its own citizens to work against it to spare the nation from the grief exposure would bring has to be one of the dumbest statements I can imagine. LOGIC, people of the PC Left, you suffer from an incredible gap in the ability to apply LOGIC above and beyond personally held views. Which is why Coulter titled one of her books, If Democrats had brains, they'd be Republicans. She's really referring to Logic.

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 11 months ago

Freshair

In the sentence immediately before your assertion regarding name calling, you call people ignorant yahoos, and opine about there wasted lives. Thats name calling. In the sentence immediately after, you call them children. Thats also name calling. What gives? Is this a flip-flop-flip? Or is there a special exception to your rules of engagement. A "do as i say, not as i do" rule.

It is a total fraud to claim that the AC incurs the wrath of so many because she asserts "facts" people don't want to hear. She incurs that wrath precisely because she CANT stick to the facts and have a reasoned debate. The original letter writer did not seem so enraged that AC shared her unique view of the Macarthy era, he was enraged by the pathetic and baseless cheap shots AC took at Al Gore. And Clinton. And Edwards. And the 9/11 widows. And so on. The outrage from the 9/11 widow comments was not based on AC's reasoned rebuttle of their supposed liberal ideology, it was based on the fact that she attemted to assassinate their character with baseless smears. Smears that her ovine minions confuse for humor. These are usually the same minions who cringe and shake when W's shortcomings are fodder for satire. And hes the President.

I'm all for a reasoned and lively debate regarding the Macarthy era, the line between dissent and treason, and what the constitution has to say about it all, but that is NOT the issue at hand. The issue is that AC is a bombthrower who offers more heat than light, and we can do better. Much better.

freshair 6 years, 11 months ago

Kielbasa..if you have info on Coulter's law career which backs up your claim, share...

From Wikipedia:'After law school, Coulter served as a law clerk, in Kansas City, for Pasco Bowman II of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. After a short time working in New York City in private practice, where she specialized in corporate law, Coulter left to work for the United States Senate Judiciary Committee after the Republican Party took control of Congress in 1994. She handled crime and immigration issues for Senator Spencer Abraham of Michigan, and helped craft legislation designed to expedite the deportation of aliens convicted of felonies. She later became a litigator with the Center for Individual Rights.'

SFL....name calling WHEN justified is a very useful method for enabling some to see the error of their ways. Tough Love, baby.

dogd 6 years, 11 months ago

Sbvor and your siamese twin freshair:

You've got to be the same "person". Not that many people these days still pathetically trying to swift-boat the truth. The worst section of the Republican party-the neo-cons- have had thier shot, and screwed it like ...well the American people are not going to let your divisive and destructive mentality run anything anytime soon....except your tireless mouths.

The truth of the matter is that we must solve our problems with an allegiance to the USA. Not the allegiance to those scoundrels who are getting away with murdering our economy.

Your pathetic little w could Greatly affect the unnatural rise in the market price for oil, which is doing damage far beyond what you now realize. Of course with your obvious limitations you have been buying the line that the price-spike is about new Chinese appetites, ect... blah blah blah...

The enabling device for Bush cronies and allies to drive up the price of crude is the availability of outrageously cheap and easy money to "bet" the price up to a new and almost ever-higher level, with almost NO money of one's own bet.

Government action could halt this (in effect) subsidy which is ruining our present and future economic health. This is a perfect example of how the neo-con legacy is an unpatriotic fraud. You people have no allegiance to America when the rubber hits the road-your allegiance is to hatred and 50 year old talking points-like McCarthy. Wake-up. This left-right crap is a diversion.

Common-sense is what has made America successful. Coulter is a very useful agent of diversion who continually disrupts common sense discussions by cleverly refreshing a sense of hatred, cleverly turning participants back into useless partisans.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Freshair: Google it. That's what I did. The only case reference attached to her name mentions Paula Jones as a paid advisor, which Coulter dropped out of because of Jones' other lawyers wanted to settle due to a weak case. Can you now show me where you can provide cases she's won?? LOL!

Hmmmm...I'm surprised your Conservative sense of "truth-seeking" didn't lead you to read the whole article, having me point that out to you. Interesting FACT that you didn't bother to read the WHOLE thing before MAKING UP YOUR MIND.

In fact, by becoming a pundit, Coulter did the exact same thing that Jones' lawyers did: she settled to make money instead of seeing justice done because her "case" was weak as to being a litigator. (At least Jones used some money for a nose job. Coulter needs to spend money on food!) Speaks volumes to me about her motivations behind being a c*** when bombthrowing to others...JUST LIKE MAUREEN DOWD. Maureen just has an extra inch of tact. Maybe a centimeter.

So, does that name-calling feel JUSTIFIED? Damn straight! I'd call it tough love for Coulter, based on your statement, but I don't want to give my wife the impression that I'm giving love to someone with an Adam's Apple.

As Coulter's twin, Darth Vader, once said: "All too easy!"

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

"the record" Dec. 4 - much lighter fare. "Happy New Year!"

stmbtprof 6 years, 11 months ago

sbvor...couldnt resist one FINAL comment here...You called liberals and other name callers and then YOu continue to rant and have argumentum ad hominems all over the place....tsk tsk...so many fallacies in your rantings and speculations.....you really fall for the emotional appeal....and no I am not Iranian in fact my Mom is one of the silverheaded DAR (daughters of American Revolution)....dah and also a Marine...but as a liberal I see people as humans and am a humanist not one who makes sweeping generalizations and using rush and ann as my guidelines...I learned my farsi and arabic in graduate school....that is where you go if you are educated or seeking wisdom beyond the TV and radio....and where you can use eclectic idiosyncratic reasoning to determine truth from fallacies.... Oh and happy new year oh Steamboat Voice of ahem Reason???.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

dogd as one who watches and plays the market on a daily basis, I have heard more than one pit trader say that oil will go to $100, JUST TO SEE IF WE CAN DO IT! You are right in your analysis as to why it is so high you also just beat me to the siamese twin reference uncanny! kiel hey we agree on something (Mr./Ms. Coulter that is) at least Maureen would look good in a Catholic school uniform!

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 11 months ago

Tough love? That is WEAK. I expected better from you. That's up there with haggling over the definition of "IS".

That kind of lame rationalization brings to mind a tale of swine walking on their hind legs. A little something about all animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

Here's some real tough love. You're a bonafide hypocrite.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Enviro-whackos? Wasn't it still rising when Conservatives ruled the whole roost? Wow! What a disingenous statement to make. Pure propaganda.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

bore supply is definitely a problem, but Speculation by the "greedy" on Wall Street (quite a few who subscribe to the Republican religion I am sure) is the premium that WE ALL pay for. most oil traders agree that oil should be trading at $60 - $70 a barrel, the rest is geopolitical, real or imagined and traders who will drive it higher because THEY CAN! BTW, can you tell me what the amount of oil reserves are in the ANWR? and the percentage of our consumption it will alleviate? enviro-whacko? sounds a bit ad hominem to me

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the "Conservative" movement is falling more in line with what PEOPLE actually want, instead of what POLITICOS want. Maybe YOU are veering further away from being a Conservative by definition. I think you were the only one ever confusing the two. Then again, in the last 7yrs on this site, you've been a Libertarian, a Republican Conservative, an Independent, a Libertarian that tends to vote with Republicans...are you going to vote Democrat next year to stir the pot like Coulter tried a few years ago, just so the Republican would lose from a split vote if Coulter had...as usual...dropped out? (Hmmmm...Coulter stirring the pot from the same Wiki site just to do so whether she believes in what she's doing or not...didn't you condemn me of doing that a couple years ago when I said I was doing that? Damn! I have more in common with Coulter than you do!! Gross!!!!)

Plus- Enviro-whacko is an ad hominem. You're becoming more a Liberal every day! Sbvor is Kerrying over to the Dark Side!!!

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

kiel LOL. I'm loving this, I am sick today (as in "physically ill") as opposed to sbvor's sickness (as in "Damn it! Why don't they believe everything I say!) And now we have Multiple Personalities Disorder on top of the SAD! I say we take up a collection and send him to Venezuela for some sun. I'm sure he could talk Chavez into sending us some cheap oil to boot maybe Ann would go with him might move some of that GW hot air to the Southern Hemisphere!

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

sbvor as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time on the computer (you are going to hit 1000 posts by New Year's as I predicted! ), and you like to quote Mr. William Lind, here is an article he wrote that you might have overlooked (forgive me if you have read it before) http://www.amconmag.com/01_13_03/lind7.html A quote:

"Conservatives used to know that information does not equal knowledge and that knowledge does not equal understanding. (T.S. Eliot had something to say on the matter.) The transitions require thought, and computers, in both their informational and virtual reality guises, are enemies of thought. Thought only works if it is unplugged."

In addition to writing on military topics, William S. Lind serves as the Director of the Center for Cultural Conservatism of the Free Congress Foundation.

some more cheese for you.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

steamboatconscience- Thanks! It won't matter what you say to sbvor, though. Right now, I do this just for fun. When you know who the person actually is and know their motivations, it's makes it even funnier when the gripe so hard about it!

Nice find on Lind, too!

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

kiel yeah I do it for fun too. love it when the baiter takes the bait! I found that article by researching his link on that Origins of Political Correctness article he likes to bring up. I'm a big believer in "knowing my enemy". or as Napoleon so aptly put it: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is in the process of making a mistake"

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey SBVOR- That is "SteamBoat Voice of Reason" correct? Is that how you avoid the Con label, because usually a conscience is the inner voice of reason.

I guess not having a conscience, you may have missed that. Either that, or we can attribute this to the "information not equaling knowledge" part. You do what you do sooooo well!!! LOL!!!!

Stconscience- In this case, I actually DO know my enemy, as much as the Boring One thinks I don't. That's what makes it all the more hilarious!!

What's better is that svBore always has the answer to being a hypocrite: "Moral Equivalence: The Last Bastion of the Hypocrite." That means it's okay to apply Hammurabi's law instead listening to...dum dum DUMMMMMM...our conscience! Even more interesting: Hammurabi was from Babylon/Mesopotamia...Iraq! LMAO!!!!!

Even better than that???? I might have a book deal to publish this thread, so I can be a sellout just like Coulter!!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Not really, but damn! that was funny!

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

1) con science? the best you can do? heres one for you http://www.zazzle.com/randum/product/235199356492454594 2) It was your buddy Lind who wrote that, not me. If you follow his reasoning, than you are not a Conservative, as you have said, well at least sometimes, no wait you're a con-stitutionalist, no, maybe a con-structionist, no, maybe a con-flagrationist. or maybe just a con. or a hypocrite. I'm not discrediting the power of the internet to inform. Heck, if iit wasn't for the internet I wouldn't know that buffoons like you existed. I am not a con-servative so my use of computers do not violate my beliefs, but yours does. bad boy. 3) As for Ronny, lets not forget that he died of complications of Alzheimer's. No one knows for sure ( well Nancy probably did) when he first exhibited its symptoms. oh wait! look what the internet found for me http://www.beliefnet.com/story/147/story_14713_1.html

'Does He Remember Being President?' The downward spiral of Ronald Reagan's Alzheimer's By David Shenk

Ronald Reagan was never particularly admired for his memory. But in the late 1980s and early '90s, he slowly began to lose his grasp on ordinary function. In 1992, three years after leaving the White House, Reagan's forgetting became impossible to ignore. He was eighty-one.

Both his mother and older brother had experienced senility, and he had demonstrated a mild forgetfulness in the late years of his presidency.

so much for The 'Great Communicator'

sbor I'm just messin with you. do you think you are going to change people's minds about Coulter or GW, or Bush or any of the myriad subjects you claim to know so much about? if you weren't so pompous and deprecating, maybe you would be taken seriously. sorry but you have created a caricature of yourself, and thats all you will ever be. get a little humility and you may get a little more respect. bye bye, gonna watch the giants put some whupass on that Coulter loving Brady.

ijustlookhi 6 years, 11 months ago

I feel sorry for you if Ann Coulter is someone you respect...ugh is this what America has come to...just terrible...

stmbtprof 6 years, 11 months ago

Hmm is The U.S. ready for a godesss and president that is a transexual??? and viscious and a publicity hound....

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

Prof, your repeated and continuous remarks with sexual overtones attached suggest that maybe you could use some counseling. Give it a rest!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Actually Prof, Cobob is right: give it a rest. She's a transgender; not a transexual.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

No, I don't think you DO "get it." Otherwise, you'd follow your own lead on when you post the same thing over and over. (Ignoring your own message is a Far Right Extremist tactic to ALL they either agree or disagree with.)

Thanks again for proving me right about you yet again! I'd say I could do this blindfolded from now on, but you've never taken your blinders off, so you've already beat me in that aspect.