Mike Forney: Petition time?

— Have these people learned nothing from the consequences of their previous actions? Now it is Denise Connelly preaching fiscal responsibility while opposing a professional search for a new superintendent - on the heels of a six-figure buyout of the previous superintendent.

And John DeVincentis questioning what most in business would recognize as legitimate extra compensation when an employee is asked to step in and manage their job and the work of their former supervisor. This, by the way, just one more consequence of their ill-advised decision to pay off the last superintendent during one of the most demanding times for the district.

Hello, folks! Did you miss the fact that a recall petition failed despite the signatures of more than 2,000 eligible voters, because hundreds of signers put down their post office box rather than their physical address?

Did you miss the fact that the voters swept out every incumbent they could because of profound disgust with the old School Board?

Only two of the "old school" remain. Their act has not changed. Hopefully the new team members will bring some common sense to the board's decision-making.

Even so, perhaps it's time for another petition.

Comments

Mike Forney 7 years ago

Well Dimwitiguess (good handle). At least I'm willing to put my name where my mouth is. The only "skin" I have in this game is as a resident of our community saddened by the damage actions by the school board have caused to Steamboat's local, regional and national reputation.

Hopefully the successful candidate for the permanent superintendent's position will be tough enough....and diplomatic enough....to overcome a divisive school board and work for the best interests of our community's children

id04sp 7 years ago

The entire community missed a chance to get rid of Ms. Connelly as well as Mr. Connelly (Judge Garrecht) in the last election.

People must be too detached from reality or too doped up to care.

Move away. This place isn't worth it. Sell out, take the money and run while you can.

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

I don't understand why my last comment was removed, must be the paper protecting someone who speaks out against Forney and others like him.

Mike, I'm just not as brave as you to sign my name. You'd probably start a pertition against me too.

id, did Garrecht send you up or something? Why do you always need to point out that Connelly is related to Garrecht. That's weird.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

So where are the ABC contingent on this. I'm sure that if they really wanted to, they could "gang up" on the other 2, right? I'm sure they could set/correct the policy on this.

Plus, from the other article, it said Connelly was DESIGNATED to be the go-between. Who actually designated her? Remember: one of the newbies is BOD Pres now, so did she have absolutely no say in this, along with A and B?

You can't blame this on just D and Connelly if the other 3 BOD members aren't sticking up for Mellor, either.

id04sp 7 years ago

dimwit,

Because the school board got a slam dunk from a judge to keep papers private in the Dr. D. case. Professional courtesy, and all that . . . .

Judge Garrecht has lots of questionable actions in his files. I can point you to a few of them, most notable being the Don Nord case where he tried to hold federal officers in contempt for confiscating contraband marijuana. That was a huge waste of public money and put the officers through needless angst and expense.

Oh, also, the reason your post was deleted, my guesses are that somebody hit the delete key while reaching for (1) a tube of acne medicine or (2) a twinky. Take your pick.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

ID- The case that made D's emails not for public release was tried in Arapahoe County vs. The Rocky Mtn. News (or their Publishing name; whatever) in 2005, before D's came to public light. I don't think Connelly anticipated the emails at that time, before winning election, if those are the papers you mean.

beagle 7 years ago

Mike Forney - Is this actually a letter to the editor? When I pulled it up I thought it had to be blog chat of some kind. That's hilarious that you're still screaming and fuming when the newcomers have a majority on the school board now. And I'd say a big reason your precious recall failed was that enough people saw the ugliness behind the SOS group. It failed even though the school board investigation hadn't come out yet with all its information!
I gotta wonder why you're in such a snit. How can you be so sure buying out the last super was a disastrous decision? Judging from your own PR, it doesn't sound like you're involved enough to know.

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

Mike Forney you stated: "How should our elected officials practice their stewardship of this wonderful community? As a member of the International Rotary organization, I've long felt that its credo, developed many years ago, provides an excellent standard to measure one's actions. "The Four Way Test" asks: Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build goodwill? Will it be beneficial to all concerned?"

Your credo contains four questions: Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build goodwill? Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

Your letter certainly did not meet at least two of your "Four Way Test" and I would argue that it doesn't meet the standards on any part.

Is it truth? Sure your truth. The whole truth? The board gave Howell several options: 1. Stay at home and get paid. 2. Be assigned another position with continued full salary 3. Be bought out at a negotiated price. 4. Howell threatened to sue board members individually and collectively

That's what I call the whole truth.

Is it fair to all concerned? Seems like unless these people vote your way, they need to be recalled. And your sarcasm oozes.

Will it build goodwill? It doesn't sound like you are looking to build goodwill to me.

Will it be beneficial to all concerned? "To all concerned" Your letter singles out two people of five who are wrong because they don't agree with you. You denounce them publicly because you can. And even if you want to start another recall, "will it be beneficial to all concerned?" No, it will be beneficial only to your own pettiness.

Mike, you are obviously very bitter about something and you are fixated on Connelly and Devincentis. You don't live up to your credo or the "Four Way Test" which is from the International Rotary organization.

I know that you and many fellow Rotarians have been "terribly mean-spirited, petty and embarrassing for our community" just as you have said about others (hit the button).

Hey, but you surely know I'm just a dimwitiguess.

localroots 7 years ago

It is a shame that the Pilot/Today and Mr Boyer (the once apprentice to Scott Stanford), continues to choose to print letters to the editor such as the one written by Mr. Forney. This just reaffirms what many locals already know. The Pilot and its editorial staff is biased and cannot get over the fact that the pre-November BOE had the courage and guts to stand up to the Steamboat Establishment (re:" our holier than thou" ethically concerned Rotary members, Steamboat Pilot Editors/Board, SOS founders etc.) and free this school district from a superintendent that negotiated a 4 year airtight contract that allowed her to be unaccountable to the BOE. As a parent and member of several committees in this school district, over the 4 years Donna was superintendent, I personally found her to be to be cold, mainpulative and very often, self-serving.
This paper also wrote a commentary today that praised Donna's attributes and pinned the future success of the YVHA on her credentials. Good Luck YVHA! You'll be looking for a new executive assistant as soon as Mr. Church realizes what the real Donna Howell is like. It is too bad that people like Mike Forney continue to bad mouth hard working BOE " volunteer" members, like Connelly. Mr. Forney why don't you " volunteer" your services to the school district and put your time and effort where your mouth is!

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

localroots, well said. I also saw the editorial about YVHA. It is so syrupy nice and placating. It is so obvious to see through these so-called district leaders. The editorial board is working overtime to continue their campaign to elect Howell their heroin in shining on people.

Everyone no matter who they support knows when the Pilot prints something like this editorial it is nothing but propaganda (that standford ,schlict, larson and their golden boy wannabe boyer put out) for the has-been ex-superintendent Howell. If she is wrong so are they because they have supported her throughout against Connelly and the previous board.

What else would you expect when someone who knows nothing about housing, other than buying a house and watching buildings being built, being given another throne to sit on. Yes, Mr. Church, keep your eyes on your back and your computer with you at all times.

I can't wait til she develops a new logo for the YVHA and then develops their 95 page strategic plan. Focus on nothing that way you are accountable for nothing.

Even though I speak the truth, you still probably think I'm a dimwitiguess.

mom 7 years ago

I can't understand why this letter or what ever it is was even printed in the paper. What a waste.

elkwatch 7 years ago

mom - agreed! I guess the Pilot's still showing its old colors. Sorry, Mike, but maybe you should have slept on it before sending that one.

id04sp 7 years ago

Kielbasa,

The precedent may have been set in the "case" you mentioned, but the ruling on the Dr. D. e-mails was handed down this year.

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

id, There was no ruling on Dr. D's emails. It is apparent that there was a lot of plotting and scheming and obvious conversations with the Plot's lawyers prior to the printing of the emails. The ruling by the state Supreme Court happened in 2005 and Howell was notified of that when she and the others were planning to release them just prior to the election in November of 2005.

Miiiiiiikkkkkke Fooorrrrnnneeeyyyy where are you? Can't you answer my questions above about liviing up to your own standards and those of the International Rotary? That's quite an organization in this town. Are you and your fellow rotarians trying to come up with another ambiguous and evading answer to your personal dilemma? I'll get back to you on the Steamboat ROTARY and it members a little later.

MIIIICCCHHAAEEELLL FOOOORRRNNNEEYY where are you? Does Janet know where you are????? Janet, please let Mike know I'm waiting for an answer.

Just a dimwitiguess.

id04sp 7 years ago

Updated 05:58 a.m., May 4, 2007

Steamboat Springs - A judge has affirmed his decision that the Steamboat Springs School Board did not violate the law during a meeting in January, as the Steamboat Pilot & Today alleged.

The newspaper asked visiting Senior Judge Thomas Ossola to reconsider his original ruling in a lawsuit the newspaper filed in February. In a decision issued this week, Ossola did acknowledge that he erred in his original ruling when he ordered the newspaper to pay the School Board's attorney fees. He amended his judgment to lift that requirement. Ossola made his original ruling in March.

"I'm pleased the judge abided by his original decision," School Board President Denise Connelly said. "I think it was fair. We follow state statutes when we go into executive sessions."

Connelly added the newspaper's handling of the lawsuit combined with other recent actions borders on harassment of the school district.

Denver attorney Chris Beall, who is representing the newspaper in the lawsuit, said awarding the attorney fees to the School Board was improper because Ossola determined there was reasonable cause to review tapes of the board's Jan. 8 secret session.

"We brought to his attention several issues we felt he had overlooked, one issue being the attorney fees," Beall said.

The lawsuit focuses on a Jan. 8 meeting at which the School Board entered into executive session to discuss a personnel matter regarding "access to information." Before the session began, school administrators asked that the topic be discussed in public. When the board moved to go into executive session anyway, Board Member Pat Gleason refused to participate, noting the administrators' request.

justathought 7 years ago

Why is it some of you use your right to rant against this guy and the newspaper but refuse to respect the paper's right to print what they see fit? If the Pilot disturbs you so much, buy a Post, better yet, start your own newspaper and print what you like, that should be interesting.

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

id, that has nothing to do with the release of the emails. That is something else entirely. It is related to the lawsuit the Pilot filed against the school district and their lawsuit is continuing as I write.

dim

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

justa,

Just a thought, if you don't keep your local paper and only resource to local news honest, how do you suppose anyone will get the TRUE news. This paper has very poor reporters and a mischievous managerial staff who run rough-shod over the news and what occurs. Then they print no retractions and leave it up to those offended and hurt by their "news" to figure out for themselves how to correct it or to ignore it.

Are you sure your name isn't polly anna? Or maybe a spouse of one of our esteemed managerial staff or reporter. This paper is a rag that boasts of its accomplishments and hides its errors and fails to publicly correct its intended misinformation.

This paper continues to allow a one-side view about Connelly and Devincetis. Motive: it supports Stanford's wife who left the district with an unprofessional letter of resignation printed in the paper. It supported Howell, Gleason, Stephenson, Loomis who were involved in the email treachery. They still haven't answsered any questions related to their part in the stolen personell files. It is continuing its lawsuit against the school district and asked to be reimbursed on the costs even after they lost. They did not permit letters to the editor in support of one they detested. THe three new board members will become enemies of the paper too if they don't toe the "news"paper's line

Yep, that's your local paper that you blindly trust.

Still yours, dimwitiguess

Oh, by the way, Miiikkkkeeee FFOOORRRRNNNEEYY where are you? No answer yet?

twostroketerror 7 years ago

I hope the new super does his homework and thinks long and hard before jumping into this shark tank of a school system. I pity the fool..

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

Has anyone heard from Forney lately?

MIIIIIKKKKEEE FOORRNNEEYY! I'm waiting to hear from you about your test of what to say! Go Steamboat Rotarians!! MIIIKKKEEEEE!

I'm just the dimwitiguess

justathought 7 years ago

dimwit, I removed my rose colored glasses years ago. If you think you are going to get an unbiased report from any news media you truly are a dimwit. Watch TV, every news station is biased one way or the other and the same goes for newspapers. This "rag" as you put it, is no different and they do have the right to print what they see fit just as you have the right to find your "truth" elsewhere. I don't believe the Pilot's doing that bad of a job considering some of the other media's reporting and "interpretation" of the news.

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

If you think they're not doing such a bad job, you must work there or you're on the editorial board or you screen letters to the editor, or you just don't pay much attention, or you just don't care as long as you can rag about anyone the paper rags about.

Yes, I've been told I'm a dimwit by others and you now, and you know I must be just a dimwitiguess.

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

MIIKKKEE FOORRRNNEEEYYYY! Still hiding from your own embarrassment, huh?

Got ya didn't I?

dimwitiguess

dimwitiguess 7 years ago

At the next Rotarian meeting on Tuesday, would someone, maybe Paula Black, ask Mike Forney to answer my questions about his faux pas as an honored Rotarian? I'm keeping the Four Questions close to heart so I can better manage my life and my interactions with others.

Mike Forney should be an inspiration to us all.

dimwitiguess

Mike Forney 7 years ago

Mr. Dimwitiguess: I would be very happy to answer the questions about the way my comments clearly meet the Rotary Four Way Test.

But YOU HAVE FAILED all four tenets of Rotary by remaining anonymous. It is neither fair to all concerned, the truth, an expression of good will nor beneficial to all of us concerned reading these blogs to do so when you hide your own identity. Tell us all who you are, and who you represent and I will gladly respond.

In other words, put up or shut up!

mom 7 years ago

Yes, more sour grapes. You should be ashamed of yourself! Pretending you are putting kids first when you are the one being vindictive...pretty sad! Get your facts straight and grow up.

mom 7 years ago

The only thing I see worth petitioning here is printing articles that are such a waste. Obviously Dim is not as dim or sour as the sour grapes from SOS. Get over it and move on with life.

Scott Berry 7 years ago

I don't understand. SOS is loving this new board. Although the recall did fail, even though it did acquire enough signatures, Dr. Vindictive and his puppet Denise have to sit on the board and watch the other three run it. His ego cannot take this much longer. Perhaps he will resign! Only after he cost the district nearly $500,000 dollars! Money that should have been used for the kids he claims to so dearly represent.

Scott Berry 7 years ago

Excuse me! What is vindictive about the facts? Perhaps your inability to understand what I just wrote says it all.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Commoncents- that money wasn't for the kids. It was they Board before D giving it to Howell. They approved that money to her, not the kids.

If SOS is loving this Board, again I ask, where is the ABC contingent in this matter? Why haven't they just paid Mellor? You are so quick to blame it on D and Connelly, but where are the other 3 in this matter?

purplemama 7 years ago

I am with Mike Forney. If dimwitiguess is living up to the four questions then he will step up and reveal his name and where he got this supposed truth. How does he know what options were given to to Dr. Howell? Where did he get his information regarding the outcome of the "email case"? It seems from his continual rants to Mike Forney that dimwit is the one who can't move forward. What are dimwits true colors?

dogdog 7 years ago

dimwitiguess is a woman. Perfect name choice, btw