Former Routt County Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak

File photo

Former Routt County Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak

Stahoviak to run for fifth term

photo

Nancy Stahoviak

— Routt County Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak will run for a fifth consecutive term in next year's election.

"It has been my privilege to have served the citizens of Routt County as a county commissioner for the last 15 years," Stahoviak wrote in a statement released Monday. "I continue to enjoy the challenges and rewards that serving the community in this capacity brings."

If elected to another four-year term, and if she fulfills it, Stahoviak would have served as the Routt County commissioner representing South Routt for 20 years. There are no term limits for Routt County commissioners. Commissioner Doug Monger's seat is also up for election next year; he has not announced whether he will seek re-election.

"I'll be announcing if I'm going to or not soon," Monger said. "I don't want to steal the spotlight from Nancy."

No challengers have announced an intention to oppose Stahoviak, though Routt County Democratic Chairman Ken Brenner expects a challenger from his party to emerge.

"There's been a couple people who have expressed interest in that office," Brenner said. "I would imagine her announcement might trigger some sort of action."

Catherine Carson, vice chairwoman of the county Democrats, said Stahoviak is well respected across party lines. That doesn't mean residents shouldn't have another option, she said.

"Nancy has been a really good person for the county, but it's always good to give voters a choice," Carson said.

Routt County Republican Central Committee Chairman Vance Halvorson said the party is "really excited about Nancy running" and said she possesses many qualities that give her a bipartisan appeal.

"It's a combination of knowledge, experience, and the other thing is she's very much a people person," Halvorson said. "She really is a great leader and she brings a lot to the table in terms of talent."

Halvorson said Stahoviak has been an effective leader while serving with Democratic commissioners Monger and Diane Mitsch Bush.

Since her initial election to the Board of County Commissioners, Stahoviak has been opposed on Election Day only once - in 2004, when she was challenged in the primary and general elections. In the latter, Stahoviak beat Libertarian candidate Mike Kien with 72 percent of the vote.

Brenner hopes next year's race will be contested, as well.

"Contested races are an important part of democracy and encourage the discussion of issues," Brenner said. "Uncontested races are unhealthy. I would hope somebody would take this opportunity to have that discussion with Nancy."

Stahoviak identified the creation of affordable housing, development of child care and early childhood education programs, and attracting and maintaining a quality work force as some of the most important issues facing the county.

The health of Stahoviak, who will turn 61 in March, was a concern in the 2004 election. She participated in most commissioner meetings via phone conferences that year after being flown to a Denver hospital because of life-threatening kidney failure and infections in December 2003.

She has suffered other illnesses and ailments, and in March 2005, her right leg was amputated above the knee to prevent the spread of bacterial infections.

Stahoviak said Monday that her health is "absolutely" stable and that she has been able to work 40- to 50-hour weeks without any problems.

"I probably feel better now than I have in a really long time," Stahoviak said. "I love this job. I really do. I love serving. : I don't do this for any other reason than the fact that I love doing it."

Stahoviak has lived in Oak Creek for 31 years and began her career in public service a few years after moving there. She has served as a town trustee, mayor and town treasurer for Oak Creek. She also has served on various nonprofit boards and state advisory boards.

Comments

justathought 6 years, 11 months ago

Low on the foodchain, You have the right to remain silent, why don't you take advantage of it. Oh how quickly "fit and healthy" can turn into cancer or alzheimer's, hope your mouth doesn't come back to bite you in the arse.

foodchain 6 years, 11 months ago

Just calling the game the way I see it. I do not expect my comment to meet with approval of the masses.

My mouth does come back to bite me in the arse quite often. Ouch!!!!!! Sometimes I break a pretty tooth. Fortunately, I can get that fixed a lot more quickly than many of you can shed those unwanted pounds.

Ms_E_Bronte 6 years, 11 months ago

Foodchain: Boo hoo! Albeit you're entitled to your opinion. So sorry you were put out $500, but would like to see proof of your statement.

foodchain 6 years, 11 months ago

Let's call a truce.

Pilot: go head and publish the intimate medical details of all of the county commissioners if you must. But could you at least put a warning label at the top? Some of us read the paper while we are eating breakfast.

I am not the only person who is tired of hearing about this woman's medical details. Maybe I am the only person with the brass to write it.

FACT: Once I had an attorney appear before the County Commissioners on my behalf. The meeting wound up being delayed for two hours because it interfered with Ms. Stahoviak's "bath time". Her "bath time" cost me two hours at 250 per.

Hippa is your friend, Ms. Commish. Please use it.

addlip2U 6 years, 11 months ago

I sure hope there are other candidates that would like to serve our community in this capacity.

I too am tired reading of her medical conditions. None of us should be elected for sympathy, rather for what we stand, the knowledge, past accomplishments and what we can bring to IMPROVE in our community.

Nancy's contributions, in my opinion, have been rather detrimental for many of us, some definitely not to be proud of.

Brent Boyer 6 years, 11 months ago

foodchain: I have to disagree with you on this one. I think the health of a county commissioner who has had numerous medical problems (including lengthy stints away from her home and the commissioners' office) during her time as an elected official is newsworthy, particularly in light of her announcement to run for re-election.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

fish 6 years, 11 months ago

Got to say that I agree with bboyer on this one. Given Nancy's past medical problems during the last election, the current state of her health for me as a voter was my first question when reading the headline that she was running again.

foodchain 6 years, 11 months ago

Dear Ms Bronte-

If you are a tax payer, you have been put out more than 5 buck, as have I.

Reference: The Routt County "Justice" Center and the tremendous waste of money that went down the drain in connection therewith.

If you want proof of the Ms. S's 500 dollah bath for which I paid, contact the RC Commish office and search the records and minutes re: 2005 Board of Adjustment meetings. Don't stop there-- you will find many examples of inefficient operation of the commissioners, the economic externalities of which all of you bear. Publish them...I invite you.

It is time to wipe the slate clean in County Government.

Query- is there any such thing as altruism? Maybe I read too much Ayn Rand, but people act in their self interest. Self interest is often disguised as altruism and "public service". This is a free market economy. Open your eyes.

Query- Is an overweight or unhealthy "hard working person" an oxymoron? Perhaps that person maybe working hard, but I doubt that person is working efficiently.

Does the County provide health insurance to the commissioners, or do these people privately obtain their own policies and pay their premiums. Were any of this women's medical expenses incurred at the expense of any government program?

On the other hand, I do get a lot of laughs at what these clowns get away with at our expense. They are expensive laughs, but some wise old man told me that a good belly laugh priceless.

I can tell you that many many professionals have commented to me that they never wish to read about this woman's medical problems ever again.

Some of us believe in survival of the fittest.

Everyone: Take responsiblity for your own health, g.d. it.

Btw, if I get cancer, break my leg, burn my house down or god forbid, gain a pound over the holidays, I do not want your sympathy, your money or your spagetti dinner. I will take care of myself. I have insurance and I plan ahead.

foodchain 6 years, 11 months ago

Brent-- I concede, her health is an issue regarding re-election.

In my opinion, she is misrepresenting her health. She may be doing better, but she does not appear to be healthy and she has not been healthy according to any reasonable definition of "healthy". I have also observed her use her poor health and disabilities to justify a sense of personal entitlement--in my opinion.

Notwithstanding her health, this woman has made (in my opinion) many decisions as a commissioner that are financially detrimental to the County and at the expense of core, basic services.

What I did not enjoy seeing in the paper was a play by play of each bodily function she accomplished during previous hospitalizations. Too much information.

Wipe the slate clean. Be suspicious of "career politicians". It is the nature of human beings to act for their own self interest, although many people cannot stand to accept that concept.

foodchain 6 years, 11 months ago

Caution: partially off topic an offensive to fat people post follows:

I think that it is GREAT that Gary Wall can run a marathon. I could care less whether or not he is POST certified. He ought to get an honorary cert.

I also thing that there should be a BMI test as part of POST cert and that the fat arses should be sent to fat camp to lose the bonus baggage prior to being allowed to pass.

I would also like to see all County Commissioner candidates run a marathon and do 80 push ups and show some understanding of basic economics, engineering, banking, accounting and finance.

Let's be fair. Have all candidate release their medical records, height weight and BMI, but put that info in a place where we do not have to read it while we are enjoying a nice breakfast.

By the way...has anyone ever seen the spread that is often provide to County Commissioners during some of their meetings and get togethers? It is not healthy food, but the quantities are copious. Heaven forbid one might miss a meal during service to the County.

I am counting down the minutes until baby bans me.