No plea bargain in Cisneros case

Mother of slain 1-year-old expected to stand trial for murder

photo

Luz Cisneros

— The District Attorney's Office will not offer a plea bargain in Luz Cisneros' murder case, and the matter will proceed to trial, Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James said Wednesday in Routt County Court.

Cisneros stands accused of first-degree murder in the Sept. 6 death of her 1-year-old daughter, Brianna Simon, at their Walton Pond apartment. Cisneros could face life in prison or the death penalty if convicted.

Cisneros participated by telephone from the Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo for Wednesday's status conference. Cisneros has yet to enter a plea and has remained in custody since her arrest in September.

The state has "substantial and significant evidence of guilt" and will not be offering Cisneros a plea agreement, St. James said.

St. James and Cisneros' public defender, Sheryl Uhlmann, told Judge James Garrecht they were ready to proceed toward a trial.

At Cisneros' last court appearance Oct. 31, her attorneys were granted a continuance to allow time for additional discovery, as the final autopsy report was still pending.

Cisneros is due in court for a preliminary hearing at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 21, when her trial date likely will be set.

Cisneros was arrested the same day of the alleged murder. According to sworn police affidavits, Cisneros' longtime boyfriend called 911 the morning of Sept. 6 to report that Cisneros was holding a knife to their daughter's neck and stomach. Cisneros told her boyfriend she broke his cell phone and hid her phone, prompting him to leave their apartment to go to a neighbor's home to call for help, according to the affidavits.

The boyfriend, Isaias Simon, told police the door to their apartment was locked when he returned. Officers who responded to the 911 call forced their way inside the apartment, where they say they saw Cisneros come down the stairs holding her injured daughter in her arms. One of the officers said he saw a laceration on the neck of Cisneros and her daughter.

The girl was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead. A preliminary autopsy report indicated the girl, Brianna Simon, died from a "total transection of the left jugular vein" due to an "incised wound to the neck."

Cisneros also was taken to the hospital to be treated for her injuries. She was booked into Routt County Jail later that evening on charges of first-degree murder.

- To reach Melinda Dudley, call 871-4203

or e-mail mdudley@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 4 months ago

This is such a sad story.
How could a mother do this to her child?

It really scared some of the residents of the appartment complex where this tragedy happened.

Bad things happen no matter where you live. Whether it is Steamboat or Omaha, you just need to be ready.

Not much has been said about the woman's state of mind. Or the history she had with her boyfriend. (please don't say they are illegal!)

corduroy 6 years, 4 months ago

from what I understand she was argueing with the boyfriend, they weren't together and she wanted to patch things up, he didn't I think in her desperation she felt helpless and though maybe if she threatened the baby, and suicide, that he would take her back. It's a very sad story, such a young little baby, and now this more mother may never see the sunlight how we do anymore.. :(

JLKM 6 years, 4 months ago

I sincerely hope that individuals don't start believing or speculating that there is a possibility that this woman had a "mental breakdown" or some sort or childhood tragedy that would bring her to do such a thing to her child. It literally makes me sick to hear people say that there is no way something like this could happen or that a mother would ever do such a thing if she didn''t have some sort of mental deficiency. Believe or not...there are people who live in our world who are just plain evil and have a hole in their soul. She knew what she was doing, and she deliberately took a knife to that precious child's throat and made sure that the cut was deep and fatal. And, I personally believe she did it just to inflict as much agony and emotional pain to her boyfriend (the child's father - for whatever reason and I don't care) with a total disregard and a complete lack of consideration for the baby who she carried inside of her for 9 months and held and cared for for over a year. She is a monster who should be given the death penalty. Do not give her your pity. Any mother who can look down in to her child's face and eyes and rip a knife across her throat with so much force and pressure that she cut through a good portion of her neck and then watched the life flow out the child deserves a quick execution......the woman is just plain evil. Plain and simple. Oh...and who cares about a "legal or illegal" status right at this particular moment. Save it for a different day. I do know one fact though...the father is or was employed at Safeway...he is loved and respected by his co-workers and from what I understand he was a loving, hands-on, wonderful father and is just devastated by the death of his little girl. He needs love, prayers and support from this community. Not assumptions about his citizenship.

JLKM 6 years, 4 months ago

One more thing.....as far as the "mother possibly never seeing the sunlight how we do anymore"......ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! She slit her own child's throat. Does that not set off some sort of little bell in your head? Like.....maybe she really doesn't deserve to see the sunlight anymore. Don't you think that Brianna would have preferred still being alive today and living for at least several more decades where she could have seen the sun, played in the sun, etc? Put yourself in the place of little Brianna and picture what her last moments were probably like. How do you think it must have felt have the cold blade of a knife ripping into her throat from the woman she loved and trusted the most. Sunlight? I am not a betting person but it wouldn't surprise me if that child saw the flames of hell shining from her mother's eyes. And frankly, I do know that God does forgive all sin, but the human side of me feels that if Luz Cisneros grieves for the warmth of the sunshine....she can go and warm up "down under" with the rest of wretched, evil individuals who have blessed our society in days past. Sunshine....I am floored. I still go in to shock by the pure stupidity and downright retarded things that come out of peoples mouths. I think it should be mandatory that our government requires everyone to take a "common sense" test before they are allowed to vote....or drive......OR....breed for that matter.

id04sp 6 years, 4 months ago

All this anthropomorphism is misplaced. It's a waste of time to speculate on what any of these people were feeling.

Our society has let the family fall apart, and incidents like this one are the result. Had there been no birth out of wedlock, there would be no murder. The removal of stigma from out of wedlock births has done nothing but (ironically) legitimize immorality. So, you think I mean sex outside of marriage is immoral? No. I mean getting a woman pregnant outside of marriage is immoral. There are choices and responsibiity involved, and this woman and this baby would never have been in such a tragic position if two adults had made moral choices regarding the potential future of the children they might conceive. If all men and all women were made personally responsible for the support and welfare of the children they create, these incidents would be far fewer.

This is a problem created by a permissive society. We tolerate it, and people don't face ostracism from their peers. Social mores (that's a sociological term, so look it up) have broken down, and the immoral fringe has broken full-bore into the mainstream.

You don't want to get married? Fine. However, you are morally responsible for the support and welfare of your children, and our society needs to get involved in making sure that happens.

How? Real simple. With DNA testing and everybody contributing to social security or similar programs (like railroad retirement), men who father children should have support directly deducted from their pay and automatically deposited in the mother's bank account. All federal government employees (almost all, anyway) are on a direct deposit pay program, and it's pretty much automated and automatic once it's set up. Child support could be done just as easily.

Would this have turned out differently if Cisneros could have returned to her home country and lived on child support deposited directly into a bank account? Maybe she would, and maybe not, but it would have been a choice that she didn't have when she slit the baby's throat.

She does deserve the death penalty for this crime, but the man should also be tried as an accessory. That might change a few attitudes, eh?

Gladys 6 years, 4 months ago

I can never understand a heinous crime, of any sort against a child. I have to go with evil. I too believe this woman should be executed.

As for the legal status...before the speculation starts flying...I read in the original article they resided in this country legally. Not that legal status would have changed this crime.

While I believe our society has become morally corrupt...and that is indeed a source of heinous crime, I don't agree that the father should be charged as an accessory. I grow tired of hearing "the man's fault". I think having a child is an equal responsibility and there are just as many irresponsible, evil women as there are men. How do you know this woman didn't secretively plan this pregnancy to trap the man? And how do you know this man was not trying to do right by the child? I am not saying this is true in this particular case, I am just saying it does happen.

My heart breaks for the father. I cannot imagine anything more painful than losing a child.

fish 6 years, 4 months ago

I agree this is a horrible crime, but given the reference to believing in God but then remarking that believing even God would not forgive this woman goes against everything that the Christian religion teaches, so I am curious as to whether she and now you consider yourselves to be christians.

corduroy 6 years, 4 months ago

I never EVER believe the death penalty is just.

Think about it.. You are only perpetuating death, THAT is an evil thing. If you believe in God, God teaches forgiveness for our enemies. Plus, then the murderer doesn't have their entire life to think about what they did, in prison.

All I did was re-hash the original story, if you search on this site I'm sure you can find the original articles about it when it happened. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not saying I agree with anything she did whatsoever.

I do not, however, believe ANYONE deserves to die. Even if they killed my loved one.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

That innocent little baby did not deserve to die either. That is the worst crime there can ever be. A child is totally dependent on a parent and has no way of fighting back. There is no place even in hell bad enough for this woman. She deserves the death penalty-should not be tried for "child abuse resulting in death"-gosh-that makes me sick! She should never have another child-she should never get out of prison, and we as taxpayers should not have to support her the rest of her life. Oh heck-life only means about 7-10 years anyway doesn't it?

Gladys 6 years, 4 months ago

I am not always in favor of the death penalty, but I do take a different and stronger stance when it comes to crimes against children. In this case, she was not just "accused" of the crime - she, without a doubt, commited the crime. For what she did to that baby, she does not deserve to take another breath. I do believe in God and I do believe in forgiveness, but not even I believe God would forgive such a crime.

fish 6 years, 4 months ago

Given your last post brings to mind just one question then Gladys, which God do you worship?

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Fish-There is only one God. But, I believe like Gladys, even God will have a hard time forgiving this one. He entrusts his children unto our care, and to do this to a child of God is just the absolute worse thing a person can do.

id04sp 6 years, 4 months ago

There are Christians, and then there are christians.

Don't blame this thing on God or anyone who believes in him.

If so-called christians believe on religious grounds that murderers should be kept alive and caged up at public expense, then how about getting all the Christians to donate money to support the murderers so that we taxpayers don't have to do it? That way, if it's God's will that this woman be kept alive in prison, the Christians should be led by the feelings in their hearts to provide support for her as part of doing God's work.

I'm serious. Let's see the mega churches channel some of that money into building prisons for death-row inmates and take them on for lifetime support and custody in a Christian-run prison. If keeping murderers locked up for a lifetime at someone else's expense is God's will, it should work out fine.

A test of faith? Yup, that's what it would be. Let's see it happen.

I'm waiting.

DR 6 years, 4 months ago

This is horrible. She killed her child. She should be punished. Our prisons are already over crowded. Death penalty would be just for this killer. If you feel the death penalty is not just, that she should rot in prison. Then I hope she actually does rot. Take away all privledges...no tv...no books...NOTHING!!! Sit and THINK 24/7 of what you did. I hope it haunts her for the rest of her life.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

fish-I am a Christian. I may not be perfect-but that is not what being a Christian is about. God could probable forgive her-I couldn't. I can understand killing someone in self defense, or an act of war, but I will never understand how someone can kill an innocent child. That child never had a chance. The one person it depended on to love it, nurture it, and keep it safe-took its life. There is no excuse.