Sheriff Wall's case continued

Defense, prosecution say they still are investigating

More on Wall

Read all stories related to Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

— The court case against Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall stalled Tuesday in Routt County Court.

Attorneys on both sides said they still are investigating the charges against Wall, who was cited for driving under the influence and a related weapons charge on the night of Oct. 27 near U.S. Highway 40 and Walton Creek Road. Wall was returning from a Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association celebration at Sidney Peak Ranch when he was pulled over by the Colorado State Patrol for an alleged failure to dim his headlights.

Tuesday was Wall's first court appearance related to the charges. Steamboat Springs lawyer Ron Smith, Wall's attorney, and prosecutor Karen Romeo agreed to have Wall's advisement postponed until 8:30 a.m. Jan. 16. The attorneys' investigations include interviewing some of the more than 200 people who attended the Chamber's celebration. Alcohol was served at the event.

Routt County Judge James Garrecht told Wall and the attorneys that he will recuse himself from the case if and when it moves forward, due to the court's close working relationship with the Routt County Sheriff's Office.

"We want to avoid all appearances of impropriety," Garrecht said.

To avoid the same perceived conflict of interest, Romeo was appointed as a special prosecutor by the 14th Judicial District, which includes Grand, Moffat and Routt counties. Romeo is the assistant district attorney for the Fifth Judicial District, which includes Clear Creek, Eagle, Lake and Summit counties.

The case also could be moved out of Routt County. Garrecht asked the attorneys if they would request a change in venue, but neither had decided.

"We're trying to determine if that's appropriate," Romeo said.

Romeo said last week that a plea bargain with Wall is still possible. She said such an agreement might be the preferred option because of the uncertain result of a criminal trial. Smith and Wall have refused to comment on the case.

- To reach Brandon Gee, call 871-4210

or e-mail bgee@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

okie 6 years, 8 months ago

I hope the Pilot keeps us informed, although I am quite positive, UNFORTUNATELY, that this will all just go away for Mr. Wall. It's not what you know, but who you know.

drakek 6 years, 8 months ago

I can see the handwriting on the wall. No pun intended. This is going to be thrown out and and Wall will be working in Aspen before you know it. No egg on his face, but egg will be all over Routt Co. And the SPPD. What a crock. I wouldn't stick my neck out for him, he will be done as soon as the ink, dries. Mark my words.

summerbird 6 years, 8 months ago

How many of you out there who voted for Wall, will admit that you regret your choice?

id04sp 6 years, 8 months ago

The fact that so much investigation is being required is a sure sign that this is not an open and shut case.

I still smell a setup. Wall was the only candidate on the ballot who might have been willing to go after all the criminals in the county. Maybe this was the only way to stop him.

another_local 6 years, 8 months ago

I am a little suprised that some folks think that Wall's relationships with law enforcement and government will work in his favor rather than against him.

id04sp 6 years, 8 months ago

So, if 200 people claim they say Mr. Wall having one drink an hour before he left the party, that means that he would have had 200 drinks and would be dead now.

No point trying a dead man.

Case closed!

twostroketerror 6 years, 8 months ago

What? This post has been up 15 hrs and only 6 comments! C'mon people, where's the hate? I was hoping for my daily dose of self righteous indignation. Guess I'll have to wait for the dismissal/plea bargain.

cantstanya 6 years, 8 months ago

OK, enough is enough. Question: Was is it in other jurisdictions other officers get arrested for DUI and are suspended immediately? Everyone says that Wall gets his day in court but there should be a process in place with the sheriff's office, oh wait, I forgot, I guess Wall has made those policies, oh wait another minute, he will decide when, where and how those policies are instituted!!!! Come on commissioners and the county attorney, do your jobs! This is not only ridiculous but it is also a shame on Routt and Steamboat. This is not hate, just trying to figure why Wall is not held to the same standards as other agencies in Colorado not to mention around the states??? I am wondering if there is a state official that can shed some light on this process. I mean after all, he was driving a county issued vehicle. Here is one for the county board, what if a department head was arrested in their county issued vehicle, what would you do? Oh and lets not caught up in the wording, arrested, cited, whatever, he was suspected of DUI by a trained and experienced officer!

colobob 6 years, 8 months ago

It seems to me that the judicial system is handling this case in an appropriate manner by not rushing in to just end this thing one way or another. Proper investigation, possible recusals, and the likelyhood of moving the case out of Routt County seem like the right thing to do. It's all part of whats called "Due Process!" I suspect that's the reason that there are so few comments from Wall haters about the courts proceedings in these posts. That said, Wall is still and should be, presumed innocent until proven guilty by a Court Of Law even though he's already been tried and convicted by many in this community. Truth and Justice should determine the outcome not hate or heresay!

grannyrett 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe we should send Sherriff Joe here in Arizona to fill in for Mr. Wall for a bit! Ha Ha! Wouldn't trade that man for anyone.

hstetter 6 years, 8 months ago

There are so many important things to worry about and spend time, efforts and money on in the world... Why waste any nanosecond or cent on such an insignificant matter???

justathought 6 years, 8 months ago

Some of us little people do not have enough power to change things on our own, our VOTE is the only weapon we possess; so crooked and/or inept politicians, unfair justice systems, and yes, drunken sheriffs are not insignificant matters to us.

twostroketerror 6 years, 8 months ago

Considering the other candidate for sheriff walked into my house w/o knocking (when he was campaigning) I have NO regrets about my vote. I'll take the friendly booze hound over the right wing fundamentalist standing uninvited in my living room any day of the week.

twostroketerror 6 years, 8 months ago

Why should you ever believe anything you read? If it makes you feel better, my door was open (Summer, Steamboat) and Mr. Wiggins was very polite. Still ain't right.

seeuski 6 years, 8 months ago

What,too scared to tell a "right winger" to get out? Steamboat is known as a friendly town but i guess only if you are politically aligned. UGGHH