Dos Amigos bids farewell

Ski Time Square restaurant closes doors after this weekend

photo

Gary Baxter, owner of Dos Amigos in Ski Time Square, said he plans to close the restaurant Sept. 2 because of an uncertain future, declining traffic in the area and rising cost of business. The restaurant has been open since 1979.

— Ski Time Square restaurant and bar Dos Amigos will open its doors for the last time this weekend. Owner Gary Baxter said saying adios to Dos will be a heart-wrenching affair.

"We're just going to cut loose," Baxter said. "I'm going to be walking around crying, I guess."

Baxter has been the sole owner of Dos Amigos since 2005; he has been at least a part owner since 1989, and he began working at the restaurant in the early 1980s. Citing rising operating costs and a 50 percent reduction in business because of construction at the base of the Steamboat Ski Area, Baxter announced last month that he would close the restaurant and bar.

Tonight, the band Jebus will perform at Dos Amigos. On its final day of operation Sunday, Dos will open at 3:30 p.m., and the Jee Mai One Mon Band will perform. Baxter said he is excited about the performance. Jee Mai performed at Dos every Wednesday for five years many years ago, Baxter said.

Baxter said he has been inundated with phone calls and e-mails wishing him well and thanking him.

"It's weird that they're thanking me," Baxter said. "I should be thanking them."

Baxter said he is considering opening Dos Amigos in a new location and has talked to Realtors and examined possible locations.

"I'm definitely open for that, but I haven't made that decision yet," Baxter said.

In the meantime, Baxter encourages people to come out and celebrate the closing.

"There's still time," he said. "And as soon as I can, we'll do it all again."

While Dos Amigos' departure is one of the first, all Ski Time Square businesses will inevitably be displaced in the near future. Ski Time Square, along with Thunderhead Lodge, was sold in April for $53.9 million to Washington, D.C., real estate developer Cafritz Interests. Cafritz and Colorado-based developer The Atira Group have made no secret of their plans to demolish and rebuild Ski Time Square.

Jane Blackstone, a development manager for The Atira Group, said remaining Ski Time Square tenants will be asked to leave the property next summer in anticipation of the demolition, which is slated for fall 2008. Construction of the new development would begin in spring 2009 and it would be at least two or more years before it is ready to be occupied.

- To reach Brandon Gee, call 871-4210

or e-mail bgee@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

jack legrice 7 years, 3 months ago

Thanks to all the the people who have worked over all the years. Have had many a fun night there since it opened. I am working overseas and will not be able to attend, but for sure will call in for a dial-a-shot!!!!!!!! Should be one great party. Best of luck to Baxter. THANKS

mtroach 7 years, 3 months ago

This is the start of the De-localization of the base area. Dos has been in this town longer than I have and although I have not always been their best customer, I will miss this local icon. Without a national chain to take it's place what will fill all these new spaces in the new ski time square?

Jason Miller 7 years, 3 months ago

Dont worry MtRoach.There will be no Ski Time Square after next year to begin with.

Jason Miller 7 years, 3 months ago

I have a question?If everyone is being asked to leave.Does that mean The TugBoat will be gone.

twostroketerror 7 years, 3 months ago

De-localization happened when a "locals" pass exceeded a months wages. If we're lucky, maybe we can get jobs at the inevitable "Ski-Time Square Indoor Shopporium, brought to you by Nextel and Starbucks". Might even come with one of those swanky Super Value passes, valid the last 2 weeks of October and every Wednesday in May!

sportzmama 7 years, 3 months ago

This is a shame although you can't blame them. When all is said and done the only locals that will be around the base are those of us that will be working there. Most of us certainly won't be able to shop there. I along with many of you came to Steamboat for the home town feel and it's eroding very quickly. What a shame.......

BAR_UE 7 years, 3 months ago

Well there is only one thing to be said about losing Dos Amigos, so everyone raise their beer mug high in the air and repeat in unison!!!!

HHHHHHEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRREEEEEEESSSSSSSS To BAXTER Here at last Hhhhheeeeerrrrrreeeeesssss To BAXTER He's a horse's ASS!!!!!

It's a ski patrol cheer for those who don't know!

twostroketerror 7 years, 3 months ago

In my bitterness I almost forgot. Farewell Dos Amigos, I've forgotten more times in your darkened bar and well lit bathrooms than I will ever remember. Thank you for letting us be us.

thecondoguy1 7 years, 3 months ago

Gary, thanks for the burritos............. lots o luck at all you do.......................................

freshair 7 years, 3 months ago

One thing's for sure, you didn't go to Dos to get good Mexican food.

madmoores 7 years, 3 months ago

Mmmmmmmmmmm, macho nachos. Adios Dos, see you on the flipside.

inmate2007 7 years, 3 months ago

Is Chick coming back for one more shift? I would love a Chicarita from the master! Plus he owes me 20 bucks...........