Troeger won't run

School Board member bows out of campaign

photo

Jeff Troeger

— Steamboat Springs School Board member Jeff Troeger said Wednesday that he will not seek re-election in November.

Troeger, the School Board's vice president, stated simply in an e-mail to the Steamboat Pilot & Today that he has "decided not to seek reelection to the (Board of Education)."

The announcement contradicts previous statements by Troeger, who recently said his motivation for a re-election campaign would be to "continue on volunteering."

"There are a lot of things we got started that I want to follow through with," he said in an Aug. 25 article.

Troeger, a professor at Colorado Mountain College for more than 20 years, won his School Board seat in 2003. His withdrawal from a re-election bid means Lisa Brown, whose candidacy petition was certified Monday night, is now running unopposed.

Now the School Board's senior member, Troeger was a vocal critic against the four-year contract given to former Superintendent Donna Howell in 2005 and voted in August to buy out her contract for $270,000.

The School Board is currently searching for an interim superintendent.

- To reach Mike McCollum, call 871-4208 or e-mail mmccollum@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

Carrie Requist 6 years, 7 months ago

I wish Jeff had announced this when there was time for other candidates to come forward (petitions are due tomorrow). I know Lisa and like her (and even signed her petition to run) but I don't like unopposed seats.

We have to get rid of the director districts so that we could have 5 candidates running for 3 seats now instead of 2 candidates for 1 seat, 2 candidates for another seat and one unopposed candidate for the 3rd seat.

elk2 6 years, 7 months ago

Jeff provided an honest and selfless service to this community while showing no bias because of friendships in the district. I think it's a huge loss. I can understand the toll the past few months must have taken on all board members past and present. We need to support the board we have and help them to implement change and new direction. The constant badgering they endure can only detract from any progress they can make.

SteamboatJoe 6 years, 7 months ago

I dream of a board full of women to help John learn his lesson.

beagle 6 years, 7 months ago

I am very sorry to see Jeff go. He is a smart and dedicated person who had to deal with a lot of bull while he was on the board. He was the only one on the previous board who stood up against the foolish 4-year contract that allowed Howell to do whatever she wanted. Thanks, Jeff for all your service.

elk2 6 years, 7 months ago

Joe, I notice you come down pretty hard on women yourself:)

elk2 6 years, 7 months ago

Joe, it's really about your personal agenda. If memory serves me, you don't even have children attending our schools. I'm afraid you are making yourself sick with this stuff. Please watch your blood pressure.

Matthew7_1_5 6 years, 7 months ago

Joe, I am once again saddened by your struggle to control your anger with this one man. You must be going through tremendous stress and strain to have so much anger that spills over so often.

Are you not concerned about your own fixation and possible demise from this negative energy? Again, turn to M,M,L, and J to find wisdom and kindness in your heart. I will continue to pray for you. How you must hurt inside! I'll pray for your freedom.

SteamboatJoe 6 years, 7 months ago

Pray that you can find it in your heart to save yourself matthew and leave me out of your soul saving. Look first to your own soul, there is much work to do on your own inner turmoil. Maybe it is just easier to focus on everyone else and avoid the reflection in the mirror.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 7 months ago

SteamboatJoe says,

"Maybe it is just easier to focus on everyone else and avoid the reflection in the mirror."

Is this what you mean when you are berating the Board members for not being crosswalk attendants at Strawberry Park?

SteamboatJoe 6 years, 7 months ago

Kielbasa, You know I berate board members for my own pleasure. It is why I get up in the morning. What else do I have? My soul is gone, what else would you expect from me? Go get another cup of coffee.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I know. Life of the hypocrite. You're in good company, at least.

elk2 6 years, 7 months ago

Principallysent: If, as your name implies you are one of our principals I don't think it is ethical for you to comment on this topic in the manner you have.

elk2 6 years, 7 months ago

Principallysent: Donna is not coming back. Obviously you are a supporter of hers. I'm sorry you can't rise above and for the sake of the children of the district keep your opinion private. Like it or not we expect a Principal to work hard to make peace for the sake of the kids. Working against the boe only hurts the people you work for, THE CHILDREN not the SOS committee.

addlip2U 6 years, 7 months ago

Since when does one is not allowed to express freely their opinion? It is the exact purpose of this forum. This is a free country and I am glad we can freely express ourselves...and so can you Mr or Ms Principallysent:)