One dollar goes a long way

Dollar Tree eyes new location in Central Park South

photo

Some of the empty commerical space in the Central Park Shopping Center in Steamboat Springs, shown here on Wednesday afternoon, may house a Dollar Tree retail establishment.

— Dollar Tree, with 3,334 stores and $971 million in second quarter sales, is seeking a building permit that would allow it to open a new store in Steamboat Springs.

Dollar Tree tentatively plans to spend about $159,000 on a tenant finish at Central Park South shopping center near the Village Inn restaurant. The company's calling card is based on the fact that everything in the store, from writing and paper supplies, to calculators and seasonal decorations, is priced at $1.

Central Park Plaza is owned and managed by THF Realty of St. Louis, Mo. The shopping center also houses Wal-Mart and City Market. Dollar Tree is poised to take 8,000 square feet in the center. That's very close to the average size of a Dollar Tree store.

Central Park South is a recent expansion completed in 2005. The quick serve burrito chain, Qdoba, became the center's first tenant that fall. Several commercial spaces in the new building have never been leased. However, leasing has been picking up recently with the announcement earlier this summer that Golf Etc., Mountain Temp Services and Real Living real estate would open in the center.

Other stores in the center include Mountain Eyeworks and My Wireless Verizon store.

Pier 1 imports had filed for a building permit to open in Central Park South in the spring of 2006 but that lease was never finalized.

Dollar Tree's corporate literature describes the shopping experience at one of its stores as the "thrill of the hunt."

"We have worked hard to create an environment where our customers can discover new treasures every week, where families can enjoy looking for that special something," the literature reads.

The variety of merchandise is described as gift bags, party supplies, housewares, seasonal decor, candy and food, toys, health and beauty care items, gifts, stationery and books.

Reuters news agency reports that about 35 to 40 percent of the company's merchandise is imported, with most of it coming from China.

Dollar Tree is based in Chesapeake, Va., with distribution centers in nine states with the closest to Steamboat Springs being in Utah.

A press release issued Aug. 9 at the time of the company's second-quarter earnings report touted a 9.9 percent increase in sales from $883.6 million to $971.2 million last quarter.

Dollar Tree trades on the NASDAQ exchange under the DLTR symbol. Shares were trading at about $37.50 on Tuesday.

Neither Dollar Tree spokesman Tim Reid nor THF leasing agent Justin Brockman returned phone calls seeking comment.

Comments

Neil O'Keeffe 7 years ago

I think it will fit in quite well next to the Village Inn. Who goes there any way?

id04sp 7 years ago

Ski Corp used to own all or at least most of Central Park Plaza. I was once a tenant of theirs. They sold some other land to a big chain which was a direct competitor for my customers, and people had to drive by the competitor to get to my store.

I had to gross over $9,000 a month to stay in business. That was with no profit left over to live on, just to pay the employees and the rent, YVEA, etc. My sales were as low as $4,000 per month during mud season after the competitor opened its doors. After taking $30,000 out of my own pocket to pay the difference for several months, I finally closed the doors and Ski Corp changed the locks and sold off the fixtures and equipment.

Oh, and my lease with Ski Corp contained a clause which prohibited me from directly competing with other shops in Central Park Plaza (like, I could not have decided to switch businesses and sell frozen yogurt or submarine sandwiches as my main offering because TCBY and Subway were already there).

So, a locally owned business which employed up to nine local folks at one time was closed and liquidated, and I lost $100,000. It only took me ten years to recover, but what the heck, the landlord was just taking care of business, right? I took a risk, and lost, and learned a lot in the process. I sincerely hope that the b@$+@rd$ who were running the Ski Corp real estate operation at the time burn in Hell, but heck, that's just me, the sore loser, speaking.

Say goodbye to Lyons (drug store) and the other locally owned businesses which sell party supplies, cards, etc. Between this Dollar Tree place and the chain drug store coming in, Lyons is a goner.

Time marches on, towns grow, businesses come and go, and the only resemblance between the old Steamboat and the one that's coming will be the name. Local charm and variety that you don't get in other resort towns will be gone too.

So, where's that second McDonalds going? Right there where Lyons will "used to" be in a year or two? That'll be GREAT, won't it?

Picture a family of tourists walking down Lincoln, looking for a place to eat. Smokehouse? Nope. Johnny B's. Nope. Little Jason and Brittney will throw a rod if they can't eat at McDonalds, and Chad and Brenda Balless-Parent will do ANYTHING to avoid having pouty ADD/ADHD children on their hands. This is what local business has to deal with, and why it's disappearing.

The people who come in from big cities and crime and congestion didn't care about the people where they used to live, and they don't care about the people that live here, either. Enjoy the shiny new up-to-code cookie-cutter architecture and formula stores like those back home, newcomers, because they're here for YOU! Oh, and that accent the help have is not French; it's Russian. So much for Western charm.

mpolucci 7 years ago

We tried to lease the space from Justin Brockman at THF. He gave us the run around. We verbally explained our ideas and then he sent us n a wild goose chase. He made us get approval from Walmart as they need to approve everything that goes in around them. We contacted corp Walmart and they said this is absolutely not true. Justin then said we needed to go to all the businesses and get approval, we spoke to our lawyer about this and we were informed that this would be a nice gesture on our part but not a neccesity to see a lease. We went back to Justin with this. He told us to put together a full proposal, which we already had ready. We wanted to open a live music venue, we had investors in the live music business and we had a solid game plan. Justin would not return our calls, we moved it up the chain, still no response. This went on for about 4 months (about 1 year ago), then Justin finally responed with a flat out no, with no reason behind it. I do understand a live music renue might be tough sell. And yes I am bitter, but we lost out to the Dollar Store??? The Dollar Store??? The writting is on the wall people......

Jason Miller 7 years ago

All these stores and still not a decent place to buy clothes.Come on a Dollar Tree.How much were more white trash can you get.If this town is going to become a another Aspen,how about some higher end stores.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Dollar Store. Nice! Something affordable going in! Maybe I can keep some money that I spend in Steamboat, for a change. Now if we can get a Best Buy up here and a Super Target, I may not have to send my money to Denver or Silverthorne.

corduroy 7 years ago

eww, gross i think i just threw up in my mouth

at least a Pier 1 wouldn't have been so.. eww

I remember shopping at a place like that for Christmas gifts when I was a kid and only had a little allowance.. mostly crap

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Pier 1 doesn't sell stuff that Dollar Store sells or vice versa. They can't be compared. We used to have a Ben Franklin, which is more comparable to a Dollar Tree. If anything, this will help a little for WalMart competition in those aspects, and WalMart needs competition bad!!! Any little bit helps.

addlip2U 7 years ago

Wow a dollar store full of cheap stuff made in China. Is this what we want for ourselves and the high end visitors?

Where is the class?

Have you seen, in other cities, the type of clientele and blight stores located in the vicinity of a dollar store?

Yikes! Trash!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Soooo...school paper/pen products made in China. Yeah...that'll attract blight. Actually, the Dollar Tree's I've seen are usually in strip malls...just like Central Park Plaza.

If you want higher end stores to come in...START ONE UP! If not, go shop in Vail or Aspen where you won't have to worry about it. Let those of us who appreciate lower prices have our store so we can keep tax revenue in Steamboat instead of Silverthorne.

The snobs are showing their colors now. "Hi! My name is Thurston Nimby the Third! Welcome to Steamvail, where everything costs more than you can afford! Enjoy!"

Hadleyburg_Press 7 years ago

Let's all continue to support the Chinese economy so that they can continue to have the largest military budget increase on record. Sometime around 201? when they decide to invade Taiwan we will have an opportunity to face down the monster that we created through purchases of junk at Dollar stores and Wal-Mart. Toxic crap some of which is made by political prisoners in an artificially protected economy that we can't compete with. Sleep well my fellow citizens...

steamboatlover 7 years ago

Are we kidding with this??? No one can agree on something like Home Depot or Lowes - that we could actually use - but they'll allow a trash carrying, dollar store? And I'm sorry if this offends someone's love of buying cheap crap (keeping dollars (literally) in Steamboat). What a joke. For years it has been constant griping about chain stores, so they propose a dollar store? Trust me, this won't make a dent in Wally Mart's profit. Dollar stores are a sneeze to a franchise of that size. Although Central Park doesn't offer the old town charm of downtown, it is still Steamboat. And I don't like catering to the tourons per se, but I personally don't want to look at a budget store when I go to Citi Market or anywhere else for that matter.

If I want junk I'll go to the flea market.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Gee, Hadley- sounds like we should alert Pres. Bush with this intel so we can bomb the crap out of China now before they become the intended threat Iraq was going to pose...eventually. We sure nipped that in the bud, though, didn't we?

Nice to know we can start a war based on just wanting to buy less expensive office supplies.

katrinkakelly 7 years ago

I actually might check out this store, but I am not interested in any toxic "LEAD" from China.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

"I Got Friends in Loooow Places, where the whiskey drowns, and the beer chases my blues away...but I'll be okay!"

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Old Town Charm??? Where the hell have you been for the past 6 months? Old Town Charm is being paved over right now.

I would love to have a Lowe's or Home Depot here. I have no problem with chain stores since they tend to be less expensive than the stores with "Old Town Charm." LOL! As for putting a dent in to WalMart, as I said: Any little bit helps. I still shop at WalMart considering sneakers I buy there for $13 a pair last me 2-3 times as long as any Adidas or Reeboks I've ever bought. As for buying cheap crap...what's the difference between the pen I buy at a Dollar Tree and the pen I buy at Pilot Office Supply? Both use ink that comes from...???? Where do they get their ink?

Does one get "special" ink? Since I don't chew on pen caps, I don't think I'll worry about if it's toxic or not...unless I decide to stab my hand with the pen. Boy! What a conundrum: spend $1 for a few pens that will last me a certain length of time from Dollar Tree and help China overthrow the world or spend $2.79 for the same amount of pens from an "upscale" store that will last me the same amount of time and really have no relevance in the world-war scheme of things. Tough choice.

Plus, when I moved here in 1978, we had chain stores such as Gambles, Ben Franklin, KFC, to name a few. In fact, the majority of gas stations are chain stores, technically. That means stop going to 7-11 or Kum-n-Go and only shop at Market on the Mountain, too. Don't compromise your standards or you'll help end the world as we know it!!! LOL! Don't forget to look out for that shadow that follows you on sunny days; it might just be a Chinese shadow!!

Hadleyburg_Press 7 years ago

Kielbasa, We have a pact with Tiawan to defend them. Do you think that mainland China is going to let Taiwan break away? If you don't and aren't willing to act, and the majority of the people in this country agree with you, then the Chinese will have the green light that they have been waiting for. Why do you think that the majority of their military spending is based on offensive short range missle and offensive naval assault capabilities. Look at what the security analysts are saying if you have the time or better yet, the connections. Sometimes the best way to PREVENT war as I'm sure you'll agree, is to ensure that our enemy stays weak and also knows that we won't hesitate to RETALIATE if we or our allies are threatened. DETERENT.

Just like you, I hate it when sbvor posts links, but this is one that I think will move the conversation along in meaningful manner.

IDsp04, do you have anything to add to this?

Regardless, it is your choice where you shop. I just wanted you to be an informed buyer that understood possible cause and effect outcomes.

And I can assure you Matt, that I am as far from a war monger or chauvanist as you can get.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Hadley- Thanks for the response. I know about our pact with Taiwan, but I'm not worried any more about it today than I was 20 years ago.

I've always been a Made in the USA person, but the quality of USA products has been crapping out more and more. People can blame this on whatever they want: trade accords, NAFTA, etc. For me, I buy products based on what I need and the price. I use Consumer Reports to help me gauge my purchases. A lot of times, that means non-US products, and I've been happy with them.

Mostly, though, I'm tired of paying a premium price for non-premium products. The US has had this stigma over the last 2 decades of charging for things that used to be free. Free TV is pretty much dead; people buy the equivalent of tap water in plastic bottles for exhorbitant prices; costs a quarter or more to fill your tires by yourself. Last month, I picked up a new DVR from the cable company. Walked into their location myself to pick it up. The clerk walked 4ft. to a storage closet and picked it out and gave it to me. This added $2 to the bill.

Domino's charges a delivery fee and a check cashing fee, then they expect me to tip the driver on top of that instead of paying the driver a higher wage from all the extra fees. What do they do differently to the pizza if they deliver or I pick it up? It's usually the driver's car, so from asking different drivers, they say the delivery fee doesn't get paid to them. What does it cover, the box or hot-bags? What about the check-cashing fee? I've never given them a bad check and they have my info in a data base. Shouldn't that data show that my checks always clear so they don't need to worry about my bouncing it to cover those fees...that they usually pass along to the offender anyway.

So I won't lose any sleep if what I buy saves me time, money, and headaches.

The longer post was directed toward steamboatlover. I forgot to put that in that one.

id04sp 7 years ago

Hadley,

If the Chinese try to invade Taiwan and we want to stop it, our submarines can sink them before they've gone 10 miles. I guarantee it.

Of course, China may then nuke us to retaliate for our act of war.

If we can pull out of Iraq, then we can let Taiwan fall. What's the big deal?

This country has never seen the purges and genocide of Russia and China. Our people have no idea how bad it can be. The survivors will go on, and the dead won't matter, and in the meantime those of us who see the dangers will prepare for it as best we can.

Hadleyburg_Press 7 years ago

Kielbasa, The real issue is that China is the main holder of US Treasury Securities. They own our debt in other words. This holds us hostage on many issues such as trade, in example, and should of great concern to us all.

Please understand, that I am by no means anti-Chinese. In fact, there is a part of me intellectually that sees China moving closer towards a freer society based upon a stronger capitalitic economy that we can help to grow.

As always, there are a great many unknowns when dealing with the future as any contingency planner will tell you. I still worry about Tawain and the implications it would have on our alliances in the Asian theater if we abandoned them, and you should as well.

So as it currently stands, buying Chinese products does support the Chinese miltary (PLA), encourages slave labor, depresses the US economy, creates political prisoners, supports genocide in Tibet, and moves us closer to the potential for direct conflict IMO. These are indirect effects of buying cheap Chinese product, but by no means insubstantial. This is reason enough for me to boycott these products to the best of my ability.

It is up to you how you chose to to proceed. Your actions may seem like a drop in the proverbial bucket, but in unison, we can be a torrent.
Thanks, HP

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Knowitall- Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment! I know it's hard to compliment people when you have Tourette's Syndrome, so I'm glad to see you try, at least. Good for you!

I would love to have the Dollar Tree right there. Less traffic to wade thru. Add a Super Target, and I'm set. Then, with all the money I save, I can sell my home in Silver Spur and move up to a nice, smaller condo that is 5x the price and has people on the other side of the wall and play my Bob Rivers' Twisted Christmas CD's as loud as I can.

Maybe, I'll move right next to you!! I'll bring all my Chinese friends, my WT (did you mean "White Trash" and forget how to spell it?) friends, and take over the world, starting with your condo complex. Feelin' better now or would a cookie help?

id04sp 7 years ago

Hey, Kielbasa,

When you get ready for that condo party, I can bring my 90 watt Fender amp and Epi SG, along with my bass guitar and amp, and we can jam till the pictures fall next door. If you've got room, we can bring the drums too, or at least the snare and some cymbals. I've got a number of good original white trash country songs we could try out on the neighbors.

stmbtprof 7 years ago

We need the dollar store....I shop there along with my friends who own more propertyand have lived here longer in Steamboat and have more money than god....yet we manage to shop there and save money..and the whole China remarks are red herrings..those opposing are just pompous snobs....the old Stmbt is lost....

another_local 7 years ago

Toxic retail. Dollar store? You must be kidding. I thought Walmart was the bottom, but we have plumbed deeper now. Maybe it is supposed to serve the One Steamboat Place crowd?

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

People hate being able to save money, yet complain when more taxes come about. Go figure. What's funny is that most people don't realize that it's stock is currently trading at a higher rate than Microsoft, and has been going up the last month despite the DOW losing 1000 pts in the last 3 weeks. Maybe not the volume, but the MS is outpriced. Yep. Plumbing much deeper, now. LOL!

Hadleyburg_Press 7 years ago

Stmbtprof, Can you eloborate on how the buying of cheap Chinese product is a "red herring"or is your cliche just a short cut to thinking? If your tag line is short for professor you should be able to discuss this issue in detail. You may even be able to convince me with further details and insights. I could honestly care less if a Dollar store goes in, I just wanted to point out a connection to something greater so US consumers would give pause and reflect on the effect of their actions. Perhaps your thinking is too provincial? Perhaps mine is too alarmist. I guess old cold war habits die hard. As for being a pompus snob, I guess I am. The funny thing is that I am currently outfitted with items I picked up from Lift-Up. I learned frugality through necessity, how about you?

another_local 7 years ago

Trading higher than Microsoft? By what measure?

Price per share? So what. Microsoft has nearly 100X as many shares outstanding.

P/E is more similar; Microsoft is only 3% higher (which means that MSF earnings are also about 100 time higher)

That does not take anything away from the dollar boys; it has been a good stock for the last 2 years and for 10 years... but what is your point?

BTW, you are wrong on the last 30 days. The stock is down over 15% in that time which is worse than DOW not better.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Ooops! I was going between DLTR and a few others. Had it on the wrong page for the 30 day count. My bad.

Still, it's been trading strong, so I consider that a strong company. That means there's some merit to the store and it will probably be a good fit in Steamboat. That's the point. The bigger point is that it has affordable, throw away items we use every day in life, in a town where affordability slips further away every day.

wzJohn 7 years ago

I have seen dollar stores in many other towns; they are normally right around the mexican neighborhoods and they did quite well because of that. Someone saw all of the mexicans in Steamboat, and now they are going to make a lot of money off of that. Office supplies at a dollar store? Maybe crayons for a 2 year old.

another_local 7 years ago

If Dollar expects this to be an average store (4.3B/3334 stores = 1.3M), they are forcasating ~$160 per foot in sales (1.3M/8000 feet). It makes me wonder why they want to come here.

Even assuming they got a great deal on the lease in the area of $13-$14 per foot NNN, with local labor costs as high as they are, this looks like a money loser.

id04sp 7 years ago

Maybe they need a tax shelter. Either somebody smart at their headquarters has determined that they'll make a profit, or there's some other reason that makes no business sense. Both kinds of things happen all the time.

It could be that the high-ups in the company like to ski, and having a store here gives them a bona-fide reason to come to Steamboat on "business trips."

When second home owners who rent out their places come to town to "inspect" their property, it's all 100% tax deductible. Pay your kid a "salary" to work in your real-estate management sideline business (which he can then save to use for college -- this is done all the time) and he's on a business trip too! Pretty neat, huh?

freshair 7 years ago

jester...'How much were more white trash can you get?'....Jester, in every part of the country where these stores are located among a racially-mixed population, the majority of people shopping there are blacks and latinos.

madmoores 7 years ago

Just for the record. We have a "Family Dollar" store in Craig, not a Dollar Tree like you are(might)get but very similar. This store is frightening to say the least. It is filthy, items strewn about and it has a funky odor. I do not know many people who would set foot in the "Family dollar" and I am terrified to go in myself, I avoid it at all costs. My opinion is that a store of this type only attracts a certain type person(people)and would severly cheapen Steamboat and the plaza. My $1 worth;)

soccercstate 7 years ago

Well said Madmoores!!! I think that is very common in those stores....smell and filth!!!

At this point I think the leasing agent is desperate and this is what is going to happen with all the retail being built...money talks.

id04sp 7 years ago

I think you're wrong. The fatties who clog the aisle at Wal-Mart will be over at Dollar Tree saving ten cents a roll on toilet paper and greeting cards just because, well, just because! Why not?

You want to pay unnecessary costs just to be seen spending money, like over in Aspen? I saw a guy over there in a gallery looking at a painting that would rival a velvet Elvis for poor taste, and his own wife told him flat out, where everyone else could hear, that's what he was doing.

You wanna know what's really wrong? $5.00 for a box of Cheerios at $#!++y Markup.

soccercstate 7 years ago

Id, True but don't think the dollar store will have cereal! It will have things that cost a $1 and no one needs.....just junk!!!

another_local 7 years ago

Bouldergrad, you are incompletely informed.

agentofchange 7 years ago

What is the problem here? So none of you will shop there, so it will go out of business, then you can start your own business there. "THAT WAS EASY", press the button please.

I've been here in River City since the 70's and I never knew that we had this many snobs. I quess what we need is a "Needless Markup" for all of you.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Dollar Tree! "Ohhhh, we got trouble! Right here in Steamboat City! With a capital "D" and rhymes with "T" And that stands for "Tool!"

Tool, as in slang for anyone who reallly needs a life that bad that they need to denigrate people wanting to save money just to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves.

thanks for the song inspiration, agentofchange!

mjs1979 6 years, 12 months ago

Listen to this community!!! What really is worng with you people?? There are low income families that live in Routt County AKA Steamboat Springs, Not everyone wants to live the american dream and be in debt to their eyeballs. I'm a PROUD middle class resident of Routt County and would love to see a place with verity and low cost. I have been to a Dollor Tree and they are better then the Wal-Mart in Streamboat, has anyone actully stoped and really looked around the last time you were in that place, GIVE ME A BREAK!! The tourist come for the powder and the skiing, let the middle class and low income families have a little joy. This is a free country and WE do have a right to live here and enjoy it without living outside our means.