Bear run-in injures cyclist

Police keep occupied with Friday bike, car accidents

— A North Carolina man struck a bear Friday while biking on Fish Creek Falls Road.

Police Officer Bill Stucker said Brian Grenier, 48, was riding down the road when a bear reportedly ran in front of him near Mauna Kea Lane.

"He couldn't have stopped, so he hit the bear," Stucker said.

Grenier was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, he said.

Grenier "was talking. He knew what was going on," Stucker said.

The bear quickly ran into a grove of trees, he said.

"The bear is fine," he added.

Several people who saw the accident stopped to help Grenier before emergency crews could arrive, he said.

This is the third bear-related incident this week. A car struck and killed a bear Thursday night on Rabbit Ears Pass. On Monday, Division of Wildlife officers trapped a mother bear and her cub that had been a nuisance on Robert E. Lee Lane. The mother bear was destroyed and the cub was sent to a rehabilitation facility.

Also on Friday afternoon, Steamboat Springs police and Fire Rescue responded to a four-car accident near U.S. Highway 40 and Walton Creek Road.

Police Officer Tom Munden said a mini-chain reaction accident resulted when a driver heading west on U.S. 40 slammed into the car that stopped in front of him.

"All the cars were stopped at a red light when the chain reaction began," he said.

Thomas Watts, who was driving the first car that was struck, was taken to the hospital because he was suffering from minor neck pain, Munden said.

No other injuries were reported.

Jon Entine, 55, whose vehicle struck Watts', was cited for careless driving, Munden said.

Entine "said his foot slipped off the brake and hit the gas," he said.

Comments

dundalk 7 years ago

The bear was too slow? Surely you are speaking with sarcastic tones.

kingsride 7 years ago

Time to expand hunting season for bears. Bring back the spring bear hunt, allow baiting, and allow dogs as permissable methods of taking bears. Bears used to be afraid of humans and avoid us. Not the case anymore.

sickofitall 7 years ago

How about just putting our garbage inside? The city should enforce this, but does not.

dundalk 7 years ago

By all mens, let irresponsible builders spawn outwards into the bear's natural habitat and when another condo just HAS TO BE BUILT, kill the bear.

Kingride: I don't think I would offer up my beloved poochies as a means in which to track a bear. Are you offering up yours (if you have one)?

Run boo-boo, run, the white man cometh!

kingsride 7 years ago

No, not poochies, hunting dogs and spring bear hunts used to be allowed here. Only since that has been stopped have the bears started coming into town.

dave reynolds 7 years ago

Hmm.was the biker going to fast for him to stop with pad brakes..they were here first(bears).the faster Steamboat grows the worse its gunna get,,yeah right expand hunting season makes sence to me they are interfereing with our growth so lets kill them..sick of it all has a point..put your garbage inside a garage or animal resistant container..WE ARE THE PROBLEM..not the bears they are looking for food for hibernation..some out here are providing it thats why they are around certain areas..like a cat once you feed it it will come back for more

kingsride 7 years ago

Im sure the anti hunting crowd will change their tune and want all the bears killed, but only after a child is mauled.

WZ 7 years ago

More children are killed by guns, and people with guns, than are mauled by bears.

JazzSlave 7 years ago

Randy Hampton made some very constructive suggestions in the previous bear thread: http://steamboatpilot.com/news/2007/j... posted 8/1 at 1PM. Absent that kind of pro activeness, human-bear encounters will only escalate. Behaving responsibly re: garbage security & the like will retard the escalation, but not eliminate it. As more and more people relocate to the valley (whether permanently or as second home owners) these run ins are inevitable. Whining about "they were here first" is meaningless.

For those socialists advocating residential development restrictions: if you are successful, you will drive housing prices up even more rapidly and insure that only the rich can put down roots here.

dundalk 7 years ago

WZ:

Oh good grief...guns don't kill people. People, gifted with what one refers to as "free will" kill other people.

localreader 7 years ago

Oh good grief...you all sound like a bunch of totally fried noodles.

thalgard 7 years ago

kingsride...the reason the spring bear hunt was eliminated was not due to the "anti-hunting" crowd...it was eliminated by the DOW because of the high number of orphaned cubs that were left behind.

Viking59 7 years ago

I am the cyclist that hit the bear so I have a few comments to add.

First off I have to agree with the problem of encroachment. Greed drives the train of development. No consideration is given for the environment. The only thing that drives the train is the sale $ of the property, the builders profit and the tax revenue. My guess is that most of the homes and condo's sold here are to people that are not local and are second homes. These people could care less of the impact on the environment.

Where I live we suffer the same problem and have whiped out a whole deer heard in the procces. Reasonable development is good but SBS is way beyond that. The only solution is to hunt them or relocate them (bears).

As for going too fast I chuckle, riding a bike is what I do so my handling skills are fine in 3 seconds and 50 meters I made the best move I could and I would challenge anyone on that. If anything the bear was to slow and the road narrow

None the less I am greatful to the people that helped, the PD, EMS and the whole crew at the hospital ER and the great op by DR Saurbrey! I will be back racing soon!

local_pal 7 years ago

As an eye-witness to this incident I also feel compelled to add my two cents to this discussion.

First of all I have lived here in Steamboat for over 12 years and this was one of the larger bears that I have seen. While driving up Fish Creek Falls, this large, lumbering bear ran out in front of my car as he was fleeing the Tamarack neighborhood area. I managed to see him in time to stop but at almost the exact same time I could see the biker coming down fish creek and knew immediately that they were going to collide.

It all unfolded as the biker himself said - he could not have done one thing to avoid hitting the bear. Had the animal been a quick fox or another faster animal or smaller animal maybe the incident could have been avoided. It was just a crazy fluke thing that I still cannot believe I saw. And because I did see the accident unfold almost like it was in slow motion - I was able to be out of my car dialing 911 for the injured cyclist who was still rolling on the pavement in shock and in pain from what was just an unfortunate case of bad timing.

Also, being a cyclist myself and being married to an avid cyclist, I can tell you that not even a professional cyclist could have avoided the incident. Did anyone see the Tour just this month with the two separate biker vs. dog incidents??

To Viking59 I hope for a speedy recovery and am sure you will be back in the saddle again soon. And like I told you on the scene, at least you have a great story to back up your injuries.