Wall assessing county letter

Commissioners ask sheriff to clarify position on policies

— Sheriff Gary Wall and Routt County commissioners continue to trade letters about county policies.

The Routt County Board of Commissioners sent a letter to Wall last week in response to a letter Wall sent to Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak. Wall's letter to Stahoviak was a response to a letter she wrote to him.

On Monday, commissioners said they felt sending a second letter to Wall was necessary because Wall had not adequately addressed concerns about his approach to county policies.

"Unfortunately, because of (the letter's) generality and qualifications, we still do not know which county policies you believe do not apply to Sheriff's Office employees," the board's letter to Wall said. "As we stated in our letter to you of June 19, the Board of County Commissioners needs to know which policies you believe apply and which you believe do not apply to your department before we consider your 2008 budget because the answer will directly impact how we will review your budget request."

In June, Wall announced he would allow deputies to use their patrol vehicles for personal use, sparking the dispute. County policy does not allow employees to use county vehicles for personal use.

The board's most recent letter requests Wall sign his initials on 18 county policies stating whether he accepts the policy or whether he has his own policy. In the case that Wall has a differing policy, the board has asked Wall provide a copy of that policy.

Commissioner Doug Monger said he understands Wall has the ability to create his own policies but that the board is concerned about possible liability issues.

Wall "runs a different enforcement. We understand that. We just need to make sure his policies are covering certain rules and regulations," he said.

The board has referenced county policies about pay and compensation, employee substance abuse and alcohol testing, compensatory time agreement and motor pool policies amongst others.

"I'm assessing what to do," Wall said.

In addition to the letter, the board attached a lengthy memo from County Attorney John Merrill urging the board and Wall to reach an understanding soon.

Merrill's memo also addresses Wall's stance that the Sheriff's Office takes precedence over the county in the case of conflict.

"There is no 'easy' answer to the question considered," Merrill's memo states. "However, in most cases, the board's budgetary authority, its exclusive authority to contract on behalf of the county and its authority to make rules concerning the use of county property will ultimately give it primary authority."

Wall said he is considering retaining an attorney to represent him in future proceedings.

"Since I got a legal brief from the county's attorney, perhaps I should acquire legal counsel," he said. "It would appear Mr. Merrill can't represent me since he represents the board."

The board's letter asks for Wall's response by Aug. 17.

"I'll respond to them, but I'm in the process of assessing what they wrote," Wall said.

-To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

Fish:

Given the top knotch reporting at the Pilot, I can only be but amused that since you don't see an article in the paper, you therefore deduce, incorrectly I might add, that the recall isn't moving forward. If you want to contribute, you may contact me at the address above.

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

So how is the recall going dundalk, I have not seen an article about the recall so I assume that you have not taken the paper work in to have the wording on your petion approved, so what stage are you at still just talking about it.

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

Well when can we expect to see the petitons around town to be signed?

id04sp 7 years, 4 months ago

We didn't have justice for all for the past 12 years. We had a few things that were highly visible, and everything else was ignored.

When GRAMNET pulled less $-value off the streets than its operating budget, that told the tale. Having an ineffective organization is worse than having no organization at all.

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

Once again - FOr those who have voiced their disdain for Sheriff Wall and his lazy way of running a well respected office w/i Routt County, contact:

<p>ceroaguscraic@yahoo.com

Be part of the movement to restore justice to all, regardless of age.

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

I am sorry dundalk but I would think that the paperwork being filed would be news so I can only guess that it has not reached that point, am I wrong, have you filed the paperwork with the secretary of state or with the clerk and recorders office, whichever one that it is I am sure that some news agency in Colorado would find this of some interest. Since I have only heard about a recall from your posts just wondering how long it will be before you are passing out petitions trying to get signatures.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 4 months ago

Musknosumpin is correct, specifically due to Wall not being certified to go out on calls. Why do we pay for him to be Sheriff when he's basically a dispatcher?

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 4 months ago

dundalk- Lovin' it! Better hours, definitely. Meeting a lot of nice owners, too. Still trying to rearrange my office and files, though. That's taking some time, especially when I keep forgetting to bring a stud finder to hang stuff up. LOL!

thalgard 7 years, 4 months ago

hey dumb squalk...still trying to get your husbands job back, huh?

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

Thalgard:

You should direct your question to the man yourself. I am quite confident he'd be happy to answer any questions or obvious concerns you might have. Have a nice day.

CoJustice 7 years, 4 months ago

Hum........got-to-splain-it........I wonder how big the Sheriffs budget is for personal legal fee$:...oops, Bet the commissioners never saw that large expense coming......better add it to the list.

thalgard 7 years, 4 months ago

dumb squalk, mr. piggins lost the election fair and square, maybe he can go to Iraq with his other Drug War SS soldier, Mr. Murphy, I am sure that they have figured out new and exciting ways of extracting information from people!

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

No doubt you are correct. Just look what they've done for you. A complete lobotomy for you.