Undersheriff gets POST certification

— Routt County Undersheriff David Bustos received his Peace Officer Standards and Training certification in March, increasing his pay to about $68,000 a year.

Sheriff Gary Wall said Bustos finished his POST certification in Rangely, successfully completing a two-week training course and a series of tests.

As a result of receiving the certification, Bustos' salary increased from the county's pay scale Step 1 to Step 3, a jump of about $4,000 a year.

Wall said he is looking at his options to obtain his own POST certification in May, and added that receiving the certification is a priority.

"I'm not pooh-poohing the certification. I'm not," Wall said. "The last four months I have had a lot of administrative duties that took priority. It's getting higher on my agenda."

Wall has a year from his swearing-in as Sheriff to obtain the POST certification, and could apply for another year extension if he wanted to.

In addition, the Sheriff's Office has undergone some staffing changes, which have included several hirings and a departure.

On the patrol side, deputies Lance Eldridge, Mark Mackey and Paul Yonekawa have been hired. Seth Merrick, who was working for the Greater Routt and Moffat Narcotics Enforcement Team, was promoted to sergeant upon his departure from the drug task force. Merrick replaced former Sgt. Dan Kelliher.

Michael Curzon, who was a former patrol deputy with the Sheriff's Office, was hired as an investigator, replacing Rachelle Redmond.

One new employee has been added to the detention side of the Sheriff's Office, Daniel Ossen.

Administratively, former civil deputy Elise Bennett has left the Sheriff's Office. Tammy Shupp, who worked as the Sheriff's Office's records manager, has filled the civil deputy position.

Wall hired Michelle Kuntz as his administrative assistant. Kuntz was employed as an assistant in the District Attorney's Office for six years.

Investigator Ken Klinger has been named the Sheriff's Office public information officer.

Wall said staffing levels are almost complete, and that he likely will have one remaining patrol deputy spot and the records manager position filled by the end of the week.

"We're doing great," he said. "At this point - and it hasn't even been four months yet - I couldn't be happier. I feel good about it."

Comments

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 7 months ago

Wedel- Interesting. A man who actually shoved his wife in an argument is okay by you as a public servant, but a man who most likely jokingly expressed abusing a woman in an email conversation is not fit. Very interesting indeed.

Scott Wedel 7 years, 8 months ago

How many opponents of Gary Wall will admit they were wrong when they said Bustos could not get POST certified?

And how many opponents of Gary Wall will admit they were wrong when they said so many deputies would leave that the department would be extremely short staffed?

But the opponents of Gary wall will not admit to being wrong in the past, I predict this post will be followed by yet more ill-informed and wrong-headed rantings and accusations.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 8 months ago

As far as Bustos is concerned, I never said he COULDN'T get certified; I just didn't think he would. Bully for him. If Wall gets his without asking for an extension, I'd be surprised. Doesn't matter though, and I'll tell you why. Answer a question, though: how do you feel about Wall hiring Mackey after reading the article on Mackey?

Brita Horn 7 years, 8 months ago

Gotta love a sheriff for his quotes.... "I'm not pooh-poohing the certification. I'm not," Are we in pre school again? And, "It's getting higher on my agenda." Agenda? Exactly, his agenda......

whyquestion 7 years, 8 months ago

wonder what deputies that went to school to become educated officers think of a 2 week crash course in law inforcement and then a test in rifle???? is the undersheriff under educated????does the 2wks give him 2yrs towards a degree????

Scott Wedel 7 years, 8 months ago

I feel okay about the hiring of Mackey. The incident that got him fired from SSPD happened two years ago and apparently he has been well behaved since then.

I feel better about that than how quickly some other local law enforcement agencies hire someone forced out of another law enforcement job amid some controversy.