TV18 Video: Responsible Dog Ownership Group of Steamboat

Video

Frank X. Cefaratti talks about the resurrection of the Responsible Dog Ownership Group of Steamboat or R.D.O.G.S.

Frank X. Cefaratti wants to let the dogs out, at least for a little while in certain places.

Cefaratti has resurrected a group that was started a couple years ago called Responsible Dog Ownership Group of Steamboat or R.D.O.G.S.

Cefaratti has developed a proposal for local dog owners to enjoy legal, off-leash recreation in different parks around the city.

Currently, there is no legal place where a dog can be off leash except for the dog owner's private property, according to leash laws.

The only exceptions include police dogs, rescue dogs, working cattle dogs, sheep guard dogs or a dog that is under voice command of its owner who is hunting.

Comments

dogmom 7 years, 3 months ago

Well so much for listening to eachother with respect and seeing both sides of an issue.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 3 months ago

dogmom... I respect your right to your opinion, I just don't want my taxes paying for it. I have heard both sides of the argument and I have to agree with hash, if you can't PERSONALLY provide what YOUR DOG needs, don't expect someone else to, re-think having a dog.

dogmom 7 years, 3 months ago

As a responsilbe owner of two dogs, I strongly believe that off leash areas, or even better, a fenced in dog park is a wonderful idea. Opponets of ideas like these need to realize that there are probably more dog owners in this town then avid golfers or tennis players. It makes sense that these dog owners would like a recreation area that caters to them and their needs. DOG OWNERS PAY TAXES TOO! If there were a dog park, dogs would be concentrated in one area where people who don't like dogs could avoid them and the other parks in the area would be more avalible for other uses.
On the other side of this issue are the overwhelming number of irresponsible and careless dog owners in this town. People can not expect to blatantly break the law and expect the city to give them what they want. At this point many people feel that relaxing the leash law would be like lowering the drinking age because kids are going to drink anyway. THE LEASH LAW IS VALID! The only way for a dog to be under it's owner's immeadiate and complete control is if it is on a leash. People believe that if their dog is friendly, then there won't be a problem. People who are afraid of dogs may be terrified by your friendly dog running up to them. You also never know when the leashed dog comming towards you may try to eat your unleashed dog for lunch. These people also have a right to use the parks and core trail. People on both sides of this issue have valid concerns and needs, and until they are willing to listen to eachother with RESPECT, no one will get what they want.
I may sound idealistic but other cities from New York City to Park City have been able to come to a comprimise on this issue, I think Steamboat can too.

Hadleyburg_Press 7 years, 3 months ago

Dogmom says; "Opponets of ideas like these need to realize that there are probably more dog owners in this town then avid golfers or tennis players. It makes sense that these dog owners would like a recreation area that caters to them and their needs. DOG OWNERS PAY TAXES TOO!".

Tax paying citizens who golf or play tennis at the municipal locales pay user fees. Are you willing to pay a user fee at a municipal dog park to, at minimum, cover maintenance costs? If so, then I am all for it. I would also suggest a significant increase in fines for community ordinace violators and the funds being earmarked to payback initial land purchase and construction costs.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 3 months ago

What a silly argument, dog owners pay taxes too... shall we build cat parks, how about a giant bird cage or aquarium these pet owners pay taxes, maybe their pets want to socialize... you pay your taxes so you have a right to own a pet, I have a right to expect MY taxes to go for better things than to allow YOUR dog to run free. Hope the town has some good insurance... this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

katrinkakelly 7 years, 4 months ago

Dog parks are for "big city" people who must drive several miles out of town to let there dog run. Could you please start taking your dog a little further than the local park and into the vast amounts of open space we have?!

agentofchange 7 years, 4 months ago

The core trail is not a place for "off - leash" dogs. Period .

corduroy 7 years, 3 months ago

I think its great there is an organization out there trying to get something like this going. True, we have lots of open spaces, but lets say you don't have a car, how are you going to get your dog there, ride it? The core trail. I can't tell you how many times I've been tripped by dogs on leashes with owners who aren't paying attention. Once I was stopped by a bike cop because my dog was off leash, right next to me, heeling, and I had the leash in my hand.. needless to say we were off leash when the cop was out of sight. The poop problem has nothing to do with off leash or on leash, it's bad owners who want to ruin our parks and trails for everyone else. Bring a baggie or two! Most of the parks and trails offer baggies right there for you, and there's plenty of garbage cans to throw it in. Lucky for some of you I'm nice enough to pick up other dog's poop if mine poops nearby. I personally think a dog park is a great idea. It's not just so the dogs can be off leash, but so they can meet other dogs and dog owners can prattle about their dogs, etc. It's like playtime for toddlers!

agentofchange 7 years, 3 months ago

1984 (orwell) poopspeak...

Frank, buy the land, charge a fee to dog lovers... just like you do-do (soryy, could not help myself) to clean cars. Nice free plug for your overcharging biz. After all, as you say... "you are the only game in town".

Don't look to the City to penalize the public at large for "bad pet owners", ie: those who do not understand that everyone does not not love their pet as much as they do. (and the poop they leave "BEHIND") sorry, just could not help myself with that one either.

Pet ownership is your choice, not the choice of the public at large. I know... It takes a Village. What's that smell ??

katrinkakelly 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree with you agentofchange. Perhaps a privately owned, pay for it, Dog Park is the best answer for those who can not, for whatever reason, leave the city parks alone to excercise their dog and "POOP" them.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 3 months ago

What a bunch of crap... if I wanted to clean it up, be jumped on, snarled at, or bit... I wouldn't need your dog running free, I'd have my own. As for "It's like playtime for toddlers!" let me say this.... The next time I see a toddler chasing wildlife or someone on a bike, taking a crap in my yard or on a park path, jumping up on someone, growling, snarling, or attacking people... I'll feel the same way about them (toddlers) running free!

agentofchange 7 years, 3 months ago

Great comments everyone! hash... ya gotta love the GRAMNET idea.

dogmom 7 years, 3 months ago

I have seen the light! I agree I do not want my tax dollars paying for golf courses. People who like to golf should have their own. I also believe that if you like to play tennis you should build your own court. If you like to swim, build a pool in your yard. If you like to ride your bike, build a bike path on your own property. If you like to travel buy your own car and do not use the bus. If you like to read buy your own books and do not use the library and if you decide to have children then educate them yourself! I do not have children and do not want my tax dollars going for their needs.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 3 months ago

As hash said..."People in this town value their dumb pet dogs more than the rights of other human beings." and dogmom, if you can't see the difference thank you for not having children.

DOGFATHER 6 years, 8 months ago

Some people say that Steamboat folks are behind the times, ie; backward & hoakie; well , just look at how most of them appear in public. Anyway opposition to anything such as a dog park is "behind the times". You want proof, how about most of the country no matter where they are has addressed this issue and has some sort of dog park or recreation area. GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND! The distance between Steamboat and Denver [or any major city] is getting shorter every day. You can't hide in Steamboat anymore. Take a look around you and "get with it" in every way because up-to-date for-real people are laughing at you.Times, they are a changing. Or you can move to Alaska.

freshair 6 years, 8 months ago

On average, dog owners are about as irresponsible a bunch as you can imagine. Many, many years ago I lived in a house with a fenced yard. This couple moved in across the street from me with a chihuaha They would let this dog out early every morning who immediately made it his practise to dig or squeeze thru my fence to take his dump. Despite telling them and dumping his crap on their lawn they were too damn lazy to ever do anything different. I finally got tired of scooping up dog crap and ended up killing the animal. I would have much rather poisoned the human owners.

jeannie berger 6 years, 8 months ago

wow freshair, glad you are not my neighbor. " I finally got tired of scooping up dog crap and ended up killing the animal." That seems like an extreme solution. How much can a chihuahua crap. Were you prosecuted for your crime? What other extreme solutions have you taken because someone has done something you find not to your liking.

dave reynolds 6 years, 8 months ago

Last Tuesday while doing my job on a county road i encountered a woman walking her dogs OFF LEASH gave them plenty of room when I passed..stopped about 150 yards away from them to do my thing..I was rushed by both dogs crouching,snarling and bareing their teeth..one a black lab dropped its ball to do this..I am on a county road doing my job..I dont need this..has happened more than once..when the owners where contacted by my company the responce was I CANNT BELEIVE MY DOG WOULD DO THAT..beleive it BUCKWHEAT happens to me everyday..so you dog park off leash supporters can POUND SAND..dogmom is right the only real control you have over your mut is with a leash..I have spoken with a sheriff deputy and found out what my rights are..soooo if your dog acts agressively toward me say good bye cause I will not put up with it..if it bites me I will shoot it and sue you...sounds harsh yes...I grew up with a dog and carry treats for the friendly ones even stop a play fetch with them..I do like animals..also witnessed a couple of dogs in a pick-up at City Market barking and growling at everyone who went by including small children tailgate and topper open..one started crying..when I was on the phone calling the police the owner came up and called me an A hole..hope he has good insurance cause that is a lawsuit waiting to happen...its not rocket sciece the law say leash them do it..OH and thanks for sharing their dodo with the rest of us

freshair 6 years, 8 months ago

You'd be surprised at the amount of crap a well-fed chihuaha can leave. And of course there's nothing that can quite match the joy of having your kids step on it and then spread it on your carpets. Actually, I'm a wonderful, responsible neighbor to have but if you're an irresponsible jerk who doesn't give a damn about anyone else and if your irresponsibility is affecting the quality of my life, then yes, we, and you in particular, have a problem. Yes, it is an extreme solution but one that is much more common than you probably realize when moron dog owners are involved. The unfortunate aspect is yes, it is not the dog who should be held responsible but the idiot owner.

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 8 months ago

Freshair = Michael Vick?

Why didn't you just call animal control? Take the dog to the pound?