Students shine in 'Fiddler on the Roof'

Video

Fiddler on the Roof

Steamboat Springs High School students Grace Stockdale and Cody Poirot (Golde and Tenye) perform a scene from Fiddler on the Roof on Steamboat Today, the morning show on Steamboat TV 18.

Past Event

Fiddler on the Roof

• Friday, April 13, 2007, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Steamboat Springs High School, 45 Maple St., Steamboat Springs
  • All ages / $5 - $10

photo

Cody Poirot, who plays Tevye, finishes a song on opening night during the first act of the Steamboat Springs High School production of "Fiddler on the Roof" on Thursday evening.

— Local teens portrayed a tale of hardship and poverty with an amazing wealth of ability Thursday night.

In Steamboat Springs High School's opening performance of the Broadway musical "Fiddler on the Roof," a talented cast treated an audience of about 100 to an entertaining, impressive production that raised the bar for high school theater and contained scenes of hilarious dialogue and inspiring vocals. Set in Tsarist Russia in 1905, the musical tells the story of Teyve, a Jewish dairyman with five daughters who struggles to maintain his family's cultural and religious heritage in a rapidly changing world on the verge of revolutionary upheaval.

Sophomore Cody Poirot portrayed Teyve with an energy and vitality that, by itself, was worth the price of admission. Speaking and singing in a gravelly Russian accent while stomping around the stage in galoshes and a prayer shawl, Poirot made the audience forget it was watching a high school student.

Belting out the classic song "If I Were a Rich Man," Poirot strode across the stage with the confidence and timing of a veteran actor.

Freshman Grace Stockdale played Teyve's wife, Golde, and turned in a stellar performance as the female lead. Despite her youth, Stockdale was every inch the mother of five daughters on stage, and sang beautifully with Poirot in the duet "Do You Love Me?"

There is no shortage of talented singers in the "Fiddler" cast. All five daughters - Miriam Pensack, Rachel Invancie, Matthia Duryea, Sarah Hill and Haylie O'Brien - made an outstanding ensemble in "Matchmaker," and Pensack shone again in the Act 2 song "Far From the Home I Love."

And not to go unnoticed is the actual fiddler on the roof herself, Renee Spady, who consistently set the tone for the musical with flawless fiddling throughout the show, which runs tonight and Saturday in the high school auditorium.

It's a performance you don't want to miss.

"This is one of the best shows I've seen in years," said Carole Buelter, an instructional support specialist at the high school.

The high school's version of "Fiddler" is a superbly fun show with a cast that is talented from top to bottom, lively dance sequences by choreographer Heidi Meshurel-Jolly, great directing by Rusty De Lucia and outstanding sets built by an inventive crew.

"You could say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof, trying to scratch out a simple tune without breaking his neck," Teyve says.

This show breaks a leg.

Comments

autumnwitch 7 years ago

A classic play that eveyone should see. Well done, cast and crew!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

I wish I could see the show, but we've got our own going on this weekend. I've worked with Cody Poirot a couple of times now, and this young man shines onstage. I wish I had his talent and stage pressence when I was his age. Heck, I wish I had it now! I performed this show my sophomore year, just as Cody is this year, his sophomore year. Congrats on another fine show!!!! And congrats to Rusty, too, on a great show!

Michael Brumbaugh 7 years ago

I have been fortunate as the Tech Director for this show (mainly the Lighting Designer) to watch these students rehearse and finally perform Opening Night. I'm not related to any of the kids, so I have no bias there, and I can tell you that, in my many years working in professional and community theatre, it's been a long time since I've seen such a large cast of talented young people, including the "techies" I've worked with and observed. I'm very proud being associated with this production and working with Rusty de Lucia, the show's Artistic Director, and believe you will thoroughly enjoy it if you can go.

Since we're talking community theatre, I'd also like to put a plug in for "GODSPELL", produced by the Steamboat Mountain Theater. Auditions are this coming Wed and Thurs, April 18 and 19, and are from 7-9pm at the Mountain Theatre. We are looking for a cast of 5 men and 5 women, ages varied, who can sing and act (and who have boundless energy!). Wednesday night is the music audition (please bring an up tempo prepared song with sheet music) and Thursday night is the acting audition (we'll provide scripts for you). You MUST attend both evenings, but only need to stay as long as you wish. Production dates are June 21 - 24. For more info, you may call me, Mike, at 970-903-0617 (c).

Oh, for those of you that don't think we do shows at the Mountain Theatre or here in Steamboat with "family values" or are G-rated, this production is for you! Please tell your family and friends to come out and AUDITION! Thanks.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

Watch out, Mike! You anger the atheist sect of the forums!! LOL!

Michael Brumbaugh 7 years ago

LOL. Possibly, Matt, although I believe even atheists can enjoy this show. After all, Stephen Schwartz, the composer, staunchly keeps his current religious beliefs to himself (he is Jewish by birth), yet created an amazing score for this musical. Here's a synopsis I created describing the production:

"By the same composer of the current Broadway hit 'Wicked', and the Disney movies 'Pocahontas' and 'Hunchback of Notre Dame', GODSPELL is a hilarious and moving reflection on community, kindness, tolerance and love. Based on the teachings of Jesus according to the gospel of St. Matthew in the Bible, GODSPELL boasts memorable songs by Stephen Schwartz in many different styles: funk, pop, bluegrass, gospel, techno, rap and rock. Critics have hailed the show as a universal story, where the characters come together and become stronger and more empowered than they ever could be as separate individuals. In our "alienated" society of electric individualism (computers, Internet, video games, TV, etc.), GODSPELL is a welcome reminder of the joys of friendship and community, an oasis of sincerity in a cynical world."

Matthew Stoddard 7 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly! I hope you have captured Cody for this show, too!

waterguy 7 years ago

Thanks, Mike Lawrence for providing such a glowing (and accurate, I think) review and for getting it near the front of the paper. I saw the show the other night and also thoroughly enjoyed it.

Michael Brumbaugh 7 years ago

I also wanted to thank Mike Lawrence not just for a glowing review, but one that focussed on the quality of the performances and an accurate description of the storyline. He was specific in his remarks and it was obvious he actually saw the show. He must have also stayed up late to get the comments into the paper for the next day, so others in town could enjoy the show! Thanks again, Mike