Video: DeVincentis speaks out

The DeVincentis e-mails

Video

Steamboat Springs School Board member John DeVincentis again apologized for the content of e-mails he wrote two years ago and responded to the public during a meeting Thursday afternoon.

Video

Steamboat Springs School Board President Denise Connelly told the audience of a Thursday afternoon board meeting that the board is ready to put the John DeVincentis e-mails behind them.

Video

Six people spoke out during the public comment portion of Thursday's special school board meeting.

The Steamboat Springs School Board held its first meeting today since e-mails sent by John DeVincentis in 2004-05 became public.

DeVincentis again apologized but said nothing about resigning from the board. Several community members spoke on his behalf at a meeting Thursday. The board held a special meeting at 2 p.m. to accept Pat Gleason's resignation from the board, discuss the process for replacing him and launch an internal investigation into how the DeVincentis e-mails were released to the Pilot & Today.

The accompanying videos were all shot during the meeting.

Comments

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 8 months ago

Anyone notice that John still apologizes (out of necessity) for his comments but not his actions? It's kind of like "I have done nothing wrong and I promise not to get caught at it again".

Pat Gleason.... Connelly says she is ready to move on, would you get your recall started and add her name so that she can.

gwendolyn 7 years, 8 months ago

"Again, I thought they were private."

Interpretation: It's okay I wrote those things because I thought they were private.

He didn't really apologize for WHAT he wrote or any of his actions identified in his emails. He apologized for them being made public when he thought they were private.

In other words....

I'm sorry...kiss kiss...the boo boo's all better now...

Tell me where to sign the recall petition and I'll be there.

Connelly's analogies don't apply in this case and were a lame attempt to sweep the dirt under the rug.

A 'lick and a promise', as my grandmother used to say whenever she cut her housecleaning short...

Please, by all means, put her name on the recall petition, too.

oofcboy 7 years, 8 months ago

steamboat is not ready to put this behind them we are ready to put it behind the e-mail sender, your out of here!

linus 7 years, 8 months ago

Wow, what an amazing example of lopsided reporting. I was at the meeting. Funny how there's no mention of the four comments in support of Dr. D. and only one against him. Two of the supporters were former members of "Parents for Dr. D." That's the group that the Pilot keeps implying is represented by Jim Swiggart, who has had how many letters in the paper now? Of course they do at least offer the video. "Numerous community leaders" have called on DeVincentis to resign," says the article. Hmmm, what is their definition of a community leader? I saw four leaders speak up for this board and for fairness. And who are all these city council members? The only one I remember calling for resignation is Black. Maybe I missed one. There you go anonymous attack dogs - fresh meat!

autumnwitch 7 years, 8 months ago

It's all horse doody anyway. I agree with you Gwen about the analogies. Lame. Anyway, as I recall, before these e-mails came out, they weren't really doing anything productive any way, except trying to figure out a way to get John's way on getting Donna out of his way. From what I have heard from people who have been at the board meetings, that was still the focus, even after getting their (John's) way with the survey results. Which, by the way, really has helped get the district into better shape. NOT!

SteamboatJoe 7 years, 8 months ago

do we not have video of six people speaking out at the meeting?

Scott Stanford 7 years, 8 months ago

Linus' comments are fair and the story has been edited as such.

It's a quirk of our Web design system - in order to put several different video clips together in one take, we need a story to go with them. So the original 4-paragraph story was pulled together by our videographer using previous material. Alexis DeLaCruz was at the meeting and will write the story that appears in Steamboat Today tomorrow.

In the future, we'll be more careful about the short stories we pull together to highlight video clips.

Scott Stanford Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today editor@steamboatpilot.com

forsteamboatkids 7 years, 8 months ago

So Denise wants to move on and NOT splatter any more blood on each other's faces. What is the purpose of hiring an expensive Denver attorney to find out who gave the e-mails to the newspaper? Save your money and put it back into our children's education. Jim Gill hit the nail on the head. The only way our district is going to move forward in a positive manner is if John and Denise resign. There are not enough seats on the board to hold their personal agendas.

Ilike2dv8 7 years, 8 months ago

It's not a friendly little town anymore is it...? It's clear there has been much wrong doing by everyone, administrators, the school board, teachers, parents and the paper. You have all contributed to the circus and in an effort to hang the guilty you have embarrassed us as a community. Based on the actions of everyone involved over the last week it's hard to imagine any of these people as role models for my children. I've always been a strong supporter of the public school system but the rhetoric between these parties for the last several years has been too much. Everyone is so quick to point the finger instead of looking in the mirror it amazes me. Like I said above its not a friendly little town anymore is it... It's become angry, mean spirited and deceitful. I'm ashamed of our school district and all who have contributed to this blight on our community, you should be ashamed too.

reallocal 7 years, 8 months ago

Linus-I would consider 80% of the community representative of the "leaders." That's the percentage that want him to resign. I would guess, that if we had an evenly distributed amount of leaders, this would call for not just many leaders, but technically, statistically speaking, a majority of leaders? I guess at this point it would only be interesting to see how many supported him in the first place. Interesting, but not necessarily telling.