Ski patroller hurt in auto wreck

Cody St. John critically injured after colliding with logging truck

photo

Courtesy photo

Cody St. John

— For Steamboat Springs ski patroller Dean "Cody" St. John, life was about working hard, playing hard and loving those dearest to him with everything he had.

For 29 years, that was the philosophy he lived by. That philosophy eventually guided St. John's adventurous spirit from his home in Maryland to the slopes of Colorado's Rocky Mountains to snowboard, where he became a ski patroller with Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp.

St. John sustained critical, life-threatening injuries Monday morning during a car accident he was involved in on Colorado Highway 127, three miles south of the Wyoming border. He is not expected to recover.

Colorado State Patrol Trooper Scott Fischer said St. John was driving north when he apparently lost control of his 1991 Honda Accord on a patch of snow and slush and collided with a southbound logging truck. The driver of the logging truck tried to avoid St. John, but could not, he said.

St. John was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the accident, Fischer said.

On Thursday, from Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland, St. John's friends and family members remembered St. John's infectious and warming personality.

"If you'd had met him, you'd have been in love," said Craig Lewis, the father of St. John's girlfriend, Katrene Lewis.

"I instantly fell in love with the guy," he said. "I have a wife who is always telling me to be more sensitive, and that's who was teaching me how to be that. He was a man's man. He was the most amazing guy I'd ever met."

Lewis said his family, who lives in Cheyenne, Wyo., immediately liked Cody after his daughter brought him home.

"Boy, she was in love with this guy," he said. "I can't blame her. He was one of a kind. This was the guy she was going to marry."

Matt Fordyce grew up with Cody after Cody's family moved to Maryland when he was in seventh grade. Several of Cody's Maryland friends moved to Summit County, which eventually led Cody to Steamboat Springs.

Cody was named the state's Ski Patroller of the Year in 2006, the first snowboarder to ever receive the honor.

"We're essentially brothers," Fordyce said. "He's my second family. I couldn't ask for a better friend. I'm grateful he's part of who I am."

Mike Lane, spokesman for Ski Corp., said St. John was an incredible employee and person.

"Cody definitely had a zeal for his profession, and that came through in everyone he met and dealt with on the mountain," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Cody, his family, his friends. He is an exceptionally passionate individual."

-To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

dundalk 7 years, 8 months ago

When the powers that be created this earth, they sent angels to watch over us.

Having worked with Cody since he started at Ski Patrol for Steamboat, angel is simply an understatement to define Cody.

Cody had an infectious smile, kind heart, impecable work standards and above all, treated every single person with respect. Patients would be touched by Cody's sense of responsibility, compassion and understanding.

The Big Guy in the Sky must have had a reason to send us Cody, even though it was for only 29 years. My life is richer for having Cody in it.

God's speed dear Cody. You will be missed.

malibu 7 years, 8 months ago

I arrived at the accident scene at what must have been just minutes from the crash. I phoned ahead to emergency dispatch and continued to try and slow oncomming traffic. At that point that was the best I could do. Since that time, I have been trying to find out how he was doing. To Codys family and friends my thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. After reading this article and seeing his face I can only imagine how difficult it must be.

adee 7 years, 8 months ago

Cody has such a strong heart, gentle soul and will to survive ! He's still alive, breathing well and fighting for his life in such a valiant manner and courageous spirit that we should all be so lucky to have. Let us remain hopeful and unwavering in our faith, while trusting and expecting that a healing miracle is taking place !

bigImpact 7 years, 8 months ago

I have only known Cody for a week now but he has had a huge impact on my life. He is a man that most of us only hope to be loved as much as he is! At 29 years old he has already lived so much in his life. Though his friends and family where only given such a seemingly small amount of time with him, he will always be with them. Dear Kat, blessings be upon you not just for having know him, but having been with him for the time you have, how awesome it has been! My life is now better because of Cody, he and I were so close in our life choices and goals, yet I know I will think of him the rest of my life as I learn to do all I can and be greatful for every second! Peace be with you brother.

reallocal 7 years, 8 months ago

My prayers, thoughts and well wishes are with Cody's family and friends. No matter the outcome, I sincerely hope that we can all find solace in having Cody as a part of our lives, and, regardless of what happens, he will live on always. I will never drive that road again without thinking about him and all of you. Thank you, Cody, to all you have given to so many, and may peace be with you no matter what happens.

rg 7 years, 8 months ago

My prayers and thoughts are with Cody and his family. I have known Cody for many years, lets all hope and pray for a miracle. Cody is an amazing person. It was always a pleasure to be around him, his attitude, thoughtfullness, and big smile always brightened your day. Cody lives life to the fullest and is loved by many. If God does take Cody from us it is good to know that such a wonderfull man, a new angel, is watching over those he loved.

stjohnocala 7 years, 8 months ago

he did what any of us can do, but many of us do not. he regarded each and every person he met with attentiveness, he listened, he lived with honor and humor and compassion. he loved and he laughed. he did not dwell on himself, he was present, he recognized that true happiness comes from service to others, and this was his mission and greatest joy. never is it easy to understand loss, he is ours, don't take him from us, like that in a moment, he is...and all of us that love him are stunned...........his mission must be greater than any of us can possibly comprehend ant Kim

Cody St John was named for his great, (maybe more greats) great Uncle Buffalo Bill Cody

He passed away at 10:00 mountain time

stjohnocala 7 years, 8 months ago

We love you Cody and we will never stop loving you. i hope that you continue to be happy wherever you are and that you continue making others happy too. My last memory of you is tickling me and teasing me when i was seven and i will never forget it. I didnt get to see you much, but i still got to hear all the stories of you growing up, all the updates on what you were doing and accomplishing. I got to hear this all from the people that love you most. In a way i got to know you most through our Aunts and Uncles and our other cousins. There are so many stories to be heard and i wish to keep hearing them, to keep me remembering you always. Love your cousin Cait

You twirled me around when I was little and took me snowmobiling. You made me laugh and I loved and still love you for it. I will miss you Cody. Love your cousin Jess

dundalk 7 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Cody for the spirit of love and compassion which you leave with us now.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. May the rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

I will miss you dear Cody.

lorin620 7 years, 8 months ago

You were loved by so many. Closer to my brothers then me. I am so sorry i didnt get to know you better after high school. You will be missed.

flyfish024 7 years, 8 months ago

You didn't know me very well but you were friends with my little bro in Homer. I read this article and remembered you from when you were little. I am deeply sadened by what has happened, from what I've read you lived life to the fullest and that is what I try to teach peolpe everyday. Life can be cut short, to go out and live life and make peope smile. I think this the most important thing in the world. I believe you are in a good place now continuing what you started here on earth. Wherever you are GO BIG and smile the whole time!!!

pboyd 7 years, 8 months ago

I awoke this morning to an e-mail from my son, Chris, telling me this devastating news. I didn't know Cody, but I know his sister and mother. What a beautiful face and soul the world has lost. My heart is absolutely broken.

jillyacavone 7 years, 8 months ago

Cody was my boyfriend in kindergarden and I will never forget him. He would sit next to me and have me get the knots out of his shoes for him. He also bought me roses.... He was a great person and those of us who new him in Homer New York we were sad to see him leave. Our prayers are with his family and he is with the Lord now, the best place to be. Love Jill Yacavone (Dennis)

catsmeowtwo 7 years, 8 months ago

Cody St. John was the escense of living life to its fullest. I had the pleasure of working with Cody and I know that whatever he did, he gave it his all. With his love for Katrene, the outdoors, helping people, the ski patrol family, his Mom and Dad, and all of his friends he will be missed, but not forgotten.

I believe there is a time to be born, and a time to die. Cody has lived a purposeful life, leaving a bit of his self with everyone who knew him. CARPE DIEM is what I learned from this fine man!

TaraZ 7 years, 8 months ago

I knew Cody in high school and have very fond memories of him. My thoughts go out to his family. I had not seen him for years and looking at the picture above makes me sad that he is gone. He always made me laugh, I only wish that we would have stayed in contact. I pray for his family that they will find strength and comfort in the hard road that is ahead of them.