DA agrees to release men in Sweet Pea case

Two men sentenced to six months in jail for stealing fruit from a local produce store will be released tonight.

In a letter sent Wednesday to Wayne Westphale, the attorney representing Giles Charle and David Siller, Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James wrote: "We will agree to a stipulated reduction of sentence in these two cases to the time that the defendants have served in the Routt County Jail. I have prepared a stipulation reflecting the agreement."

Westphale was at the Routt County Combined Courthouse at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday to sign the paperwork. Siller and Charle said they expected to be released from jail at about 6 p.m.

Fourteenth Judicial District Attorney Bonnie Roesink declined to comment Wednesday about the decision.

He went on to write that, "While my office continues to persist in its contention that this was a burglary case and that your clients unlawfully entered the interior of the store, we are willing to compromise our position and hope that the message still remains that it is unacceptable to burglarize a local business."

Charle, 24, of Somersworth, N.H., and Siller, 27, of Wayne, Pa., were sentenced to six months in jail last week after they admitted to stealing produce from Sweet Pea Produce on Yampa Street. The men were facing felony second-degree burglary charges but opted to accept a plea agreement to spend six months in jail for pleading guilty to misdemeanor trespass.

A full copy of St. James letter is available on steamboatpilot.com

Comments

Seanfeld 7 years, 12 months ago

Well thank God for the internet. I am happy to hear that they are finally going to be set free and everyone can happily travel to Steamboat Springs with a guilt free conscience. I still think these two need to lose their jobs especially from some of the other stories that have been relayed if it wasn't for the amount of pressure that can be brought to bear on fools through exposure in the media they would keep on doing whatever pleases them. Also thanks to the Sweat Pea owners who have been very vocal in this forum. It's refreshing to not see someone have a pr machine trying to spin misinformation but to have the guts to stand up for what's right in what must have been a tough situation being squeezed from all sides. I think the Rainbow people should choose another place to hold there events. It seems to me that nobody in Steamboat particularly cares for you. Maybe try Oregon or somewhere in the Northwest I hear they love hippies there. I don't think we would have any problems with you in Chicago we have plenty of dumpster divers here many of them illegal aliens trying to make a living and support their families some hippies who choose that as their lifestyle. We don't have the outdoor space for you though. Also we tend to pee anywhere we can whenever the Cubs are winning. So I guess the people from Steamboat Springs might want to skip Chicago in the unlikely case that the Cubs are having a winning season. Boo Roesnik and St. James, Hooray Steamboat Springs, Sweat Pea and the Pilot.

cheesehead 7 years, 12 months ago

Another example of how the DA talks the talk but can't walk the walk. Everyone involved in this case did something stupid that led to the outcome. I say they should be re-tried so we can here the real truth.

bigdog 7 years, 12 months ago

hooooray for the good guys! This shows that the "little" people can make a difference!

Dorothywhitehawk 7 years, 12 months ago

Of course Bonnie Roesink can't say anything with her foot in her mouth. As for St. James I think he was trying to show the Rainbow's who's "BOSS" in Steamboat Springs.
I am glad that the Sweet Pea Two were released. I think they should sue St. James and Roesink. I bet there are lawyers out there who would take the case.
As always, we here in Eastern Kansas want to thank Bonnie Roesink and Kerry St. James for one of the best laughs this year. It will be hard to outdo. haha

cheesehead 7 years, 12 months ago

this isn't a war on the RFers. We've had a string of burglaries in town recently. these two accepted this outragous sentence, which leads me to believe they're scared of the truth comming out in trial. way to go st. James, mob rule for our justice system.

bolter 7 years, 12 months ago

Yes, Kerry, and there are WMD's in Iraq, too. These guys would still be in jail if it had not been for us uninformed people acting on misinformation! But what about the hundreds of low-profile cases? It will be business as usual at the DA's office as long as Kerry is running amok with no adult supervision.

babette dickson 7 years, 12 months ago

amazing development... good luck sweet pea two and i hope bonnie will offer review of previous cases as she mentioned... who else is sitting in routt county jail... between yesterday's conference from DA and tonight's decision, what happened... anyone knows???

bcpow 7 years, 12 months ago

I am thinking that the Billy Kidd case should be reopened. Once he gets found guilty we can have a free concert at Howelson Hill. His flogging will be the opening act for REO Speedwagon. And St. James can be at the show waiting for Speedwagon Family Members to commit some crimes.

HairyJane 7 years, 12 months ago

eh ow wow, a first small victory of us many over those few in low places.

cheesehead 7 years, 12 months ago

low places? how many lawyers did these guys consult with?

Thunder 7 years, 12 months ago

This is so cool! I agree wholeheartedly with Seanfeld, that if not for the Internet, these two would be cooling their heels for the next 6 months or so at an outrageous cost to the residents of SS and for a very stupid reason. I never bought into the obvious lie that people with money in their pockets wouldn't dumpster dive. I've done it before and with money in my pocket to boot. So what? When you are very far from home and have limited resources, making do on other people's throwaways is a blessing and a smart thing to do. I have found better produce in Malibu dumpsters than we have on supermarket shelves in San Francisco!

I had thought earlier today to try and find out if Roesnick and Kerry would've minded footing the bill themselves for the room and board of the two dangerous criminals they insisted on throwing the book at, and I also considered their sentence in light of the 5 days received by some young men for actually branding somebody else. What kind of twisted, convoluted justice is that?

In any case, and despite their in my opinion flawed reasoning, I wish to extend my thanks to Roesnick and Kerry for getting real. Thank you!!!!

Thunder
San Francisco

boat 7 years, 12 months ago

Remember that Steamboat has an image as a "Friendly Western Town." 6 months in jail for stealing something with a value less than $20 was always an "unfriendly idea."

Letting the Sweetpea 2 out of jail and showing them the way out of town was a very smart and "friendly" thing to do.

Congratulations to all who contributed to restoring the "friendly" image to Steamboat. Let's keep the "friendly" in Steamboat.

leannedrumen 7 years, 12 months ago

Both St. James and Roesink's cases need to be reviewed. Not because the guilty should go free. But because of justice. Do you really think this is the first time these two have abused their power? They put themselves in this position by their feelings of total power. Absolute power corupts absolutly....I am sure this is not the only DA's office who have abused their power. We in all town's and counties should watch and monitor the "Powers that Be". We are not yet a police state.

outoftowner 7 years, 12 months ago

The 10 days served was more than sufficient. Glad they're on their way to who knows where.

Seanfeld - LOL - you got a good image of them in your head? You might see them there! Funny stuff you wrote! I've spent time in Chicago - mostly the bad parts.

Numz, honey, you're a bitter woman. You need a hug. No, no devil released. Just a wrong that was righted. Still enjoyed our boxing matches though and wish you and hubby the best!

I can't belive that St. James is still trying to double talk and blame and the Roesink still has no comment, although she griped about the story breaking on the holiday weekend when she wasn't available to comment (no, sweetz, it was FRIDAY MORNING while you were on public payroll....)

Right or wrong, distorted or accurate, he said she said we all scream for ice cream.... 10 days is plenty for old veggies. Glad for the outcome.

Toodles.

And say hey to Jelly for me!

1FRANKENSTEIN 7 years, 12 months ago

Hey i'm just a nice guy now. Any cute girls around?

fanofsteamboat 7 years, 11 months ago

St. James says: "It does now, however, appear that based upon incomplete and incorrect information, a portion of the community has committed to a view of this case and its outcome," St. James wrote. "My office will not be able to change this misperception. It is clear the portion of the community reacting to that misinformation wishes a different outcome."

It is obvious that he and Roesink continue to deny any responsibility or bear any blame in what has happened. Instead of stepping forward and admitting that perhaps they had been a bit heavy handed in their approach, they instead choose to point the finger at everyone else.

I agree with leannedrumen that both of them need to be taken to task on this one. If Roesink is intending on running for reelection, I would encourage everyone to simply vote her out. As for Mr. St. James, I assume that as long as Roesink is his boss his job is safe.

georgelstarr 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe those in jail should get a retrial. Pandora's box? Sure it is, because of a corrupt Dist. Att. Office all their cases are suspect.

studiocramer 7 years, 11 months ago

Kerry said he wouldn't take responsibility for his actions and Bonnie said,"we can handle this case any way we want to handle it." What is wrong with this picture?

Thunder 7 years, 11 months ago

I just read on this website that a guy was sentenced there to 2 years for robbing several people at gunpoint. What kind of insanity is it to sentence someone to 2 years for threatening to kill people for money and sentencing people to 6 months for being in a dumpster, plea bargains aside?

The incongruity of it is almost impossible to comprehend. If someone robs someone at gunpoint they ought to be sentenced to a minimum of 5 years or better yet, ten.

NotFromSteamBoat 7 years, 11 months ago

E-mail Executive Director Charles Turner (cturner@cobar.org) of the Colorado Bar Association with concerns about Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James , District Attorney Bonnie Roesink and Judge James Garrecht with concerns about violations of the Rules of Professional Conduct. If they are abusing their power they need to be investigated.

NotFromSteamBoat 7 years, 11 months ago

The correct office to complain about Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James , District Attorney Bonnie Roesink and Judge James Garrecht is the Colorado Office of Attorney Regulation.
Their webpage is listed under the Colorado Supreme Court (www.coloradosupremecourt.com) or can be contacted directly by calling 303.866.6400 or 877.888.1370