Sound Off

This is justice?

There must be more to this than meets the eye. Would someone who understands please explain how in Routt County, a person who embezzles $30,000 does less jail time than two men who steal $15 worth of food out of a trash can?

Poor choice

With 42 babies being born last month at the hospital, it's unfortunate that an apparently unwed couple was chosen to use in the story related to the baby boom in the 'Boat.

Fix the light

I'm surprised that anybody would spend money in your downtown ever. All I wanted to do today was go out to lunch, drop off a couple bills and go into Books and Booty for their closeout sale. The Eighth Street light is so horribly out of time with everything else, nobody would stop and let me back into a parking spot. Please get this thing fixed.

KBCR changes

This is Don Moss. I'm calling to Sound Off about the changes at KBCR. Not only is there change, but it's change for the worse. Brian Harvey's idea of local news is simply reading Steamboat Today over the air. We may be dumb up here on Seedhouse Road but we can read the newspaper by ourselves. We expect the radio station to set a higher standard.

Equalize pay

I'm calling regarding the article in the newspaper - fire, and police forces seek more staff. In reading the paper, I fully support the idea that the city needs more officers and firefighters. However, I was curious why policemen make $11,000 more per year than the firefighters. That seems absurd. Doesn't the city remember Sept. 11? The city needs to treat the fire and police departments equally.

Do the right thing

The City Council and city planners must be consistent with the inclusionary zoning ordinance for affordable housing. Do not allow payment in lieu of. This defeats the purpose of integrated affordable housing in these massive projects. It also wastes time for the council, project developers and designers.

Classes in Spanish?

It's wonderful that free classes in English are being given at the college. It would be nice if citizens could attend free classes in Spanish. Don't you think that would be helpful?

Core trail danger

If you bicycle on the Yampa River Core Trail, you better watch out for the fools who think they own the entire trail.

Comments

None 8 years ago

The judge that gave those two boys 6 months for eating from the garbage deserves to burn in eternal hell-fire. This is the fuel that starts a revolution.

msen 8 years ago

I agree, the officials who arrested and prosecuted anyone for taking food out of a gatbage can are bigoted and close minded and I feel were targeting less desireabes. I will never visit Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs should be embarrassed with the handling of this case. What happened to one man's junk is another man's treasure. The plight of the homeless in America deserves more sympathy. Obviously your elected officials and law enforcement are bored and should be chasing "real criminals!! Shame on you Colorado Springs! Madchen Sen Palm Springs, CA.

the_Lizard 8 years ago

yes C-springs you should be ashamed, very, very ashamed!

ArlineMcCarthy 8 years ago

I'm Giles' grandmother and am feeling quite helpless here in Ohio to do something besides sending him cookies. (Darn it, this is Labor Day and the post office is closed.) Giles, besides his honesty, integrity and all-around perfection, believes in recycling. He is not above wearing thrift shop clothes or eating a bruised apple. After all these weeks of worrying about his arrest and what might happen to him, I'm greatly relieved to read all the notes supporting Giles and David. This is truly good news. Thank you!

stmbtlocal 8 years ago

Why is it unfortunate that an unwed couple was featured in an article about Steamboat's 'baby boom'? Please. Grow up.

Fastman 8 years ago

I have heard enough. There are some things that I can tolerate, but sentencing those two men to 6 months in jail is not one of the them.

Copy of e-mail sent to the DA, on 9/04/2006:

Madam,

Well, the fat is in the fire now, eh? St. James went a tad over the top in his prosecution of the two men, and the sentence is, as it stands now, absurd to the rest of the US & costly to your county.

I grant you that with all the media attention the story brings with it, most all of it is negative. Is that the way to lure tourists to Steamboat Springs?

I know that "Justice" is blindfolded, but I am not.

Fastener City, Inc. has, at my direction, added your town to an internal company list of vacation spots to be avoided by its employees.

I will also communicate the outrageous conduct of your office to all of our clients, cautioning them about the apparent lack of judicial prudence in your township.

Respectfully, Mr. S. Edward Mead President, CEO Fastener City, Inc.

<--------------------end.

staceysteamboat 8 years ago

There is the truth left out that the paper failes to print and that the people crying, oh poor babies fail to look into! These two men were seen by a witness inside the sweet pea produce stealing fresh fruit - not spoiled fruit from the trash can. Why are there no comments from the owner of Sweat Pea and the arresting officers? Because their comments would ruin the poor boy story! The owner is furious and wanted these men arrested. Read the police report which should be on file at the court house (should be open to the public). These men were caught with fresh produce, tried to run and were caught in the act of robbery. Shouldn't they be punished? I personally want to show my support for law enforcement doing their job and I want Sweat Pea and other businesses to stay here. So if someone gets caught stealing from them I want them to get punished. I can't believe how many people do not find out the facts before jumping to the conclusion that these boys (men) are being made an example of!! And I can't believe that someone running for Sheriff (Wall) hasn't investigated the facts and shows no support for law enforcement!

tradgirl 8 years ago

to stacysteamboat The 2 young men did not steal fresh fruit...it came from the dumpster. I don't don't know where you get your info but you should check your sources.

TOS 8 years ago

StacySteamboat, There have been comments from the owners of Sweat Pea. http://www2.steamboatpilot.com/news/2006/ sep/02/sweet_pea_owners_we_didnt_want/

The owner even posted comments on the same page.

Do you feel 6 months is reasonable?

staceysteamboat 8 years ago

Dear Tradgirl, My resources came from the Steamboat Springs Police Report that is on file. Please read it for yourself as it is public record.

These two men were INSIDE of Sweat Pea stealing, not in the dumpster. The two men state that they were taking from a dumpster but what do you expect crimminals to say... The Truth! There is also a witness who filed a statement. The Sweat Pea Owner's statement is also on file stating "I want to press charges!" The Owner was very upset at the men for stealing in the establishment and now has changed her statement due to the fact that this case has received so much publicity.

I encourage you to check the REAL facts and review the police records. That's where I got my facts.

As a matter of fact.. read the portion of the report where the two men were observed urinating on the side of the building before they went in the business.

As to the question, Do I feel 6 months is reasonable? When someone is sentenced they usually serve half of the sentence term anyway, a total of about 50 some days. Let me state that these men already received a plea bargain from a FELONY burglary and theft; Therefore erasing a felony from their records. (You should read the C.R.S (Colorado Revised Statute)definition of Burglary).

The police did exactly what they were suppossed to do and at the request of the owner's of Sweat Pea made an arrest, the DA's office did their job, and the judicial system did it's job... Isn't that how the system should work!?

It's funny to me that the mentallity of SOME of this community will only request the support of law enforcement for a portion of what they feel should be done. If law enforcement does not do enough to suffice, they are not performing their duties... If law enforcement does to much, their deemed as being bullies or being to hard on the people. What do you want.... more or less Tradgirl. Please go read the facts and find out for yourself. You will be amazed. I only wish the media would print all the facts instead of just portions in order to sell a story.

Don't we want a safe community!!

Julie Green 8 years ago

I think it is high time that Kerry St James was fired. Fortunately my kids were never the object of his desire to set an example every time he could, but many of my friends children and their parents have been put through the ringer by this man. The expense, heartache and brain damage that he causes in this community is inexcusable. Every adult I know did something in their youth that nowadays would land you in jail. Kids do some stupid things and yes there should be consequences, but 6 months in jail for taking rotten fruit out of a garbage container???? This reminds me of Communist China under Mao! If our DA won't control Mr St James, we should initiate a recall.

jackel 8 years ago

launnie, Let me set back and ponder what you wrote. My first thought is its not the 50's anymore! It sounds as if you have many friend's children and parents of children who frequently need to visit the judicial system...hmmmm wonder why.

Birds of a feather flock together. As many that I have spoke with, I can tell an enabling parent when I hear one. In a world of lets sue, sue sue,I'll win or youre gonna get it, please tell me what happened to responsibility of ones actions! Have you looked out your glass window lately; Children have ten folded the actions of less than 10 years ago.

If someone broke into your house and stole even a loaf of bread, and was caught by you in the act, the tables would turn... I'd bet my life on it. As was mentioned above, read the facts first before you spew! Oh yeah, did I mention the two bad guys had over $400 found on them. starving...dont think so.

staceysteamboat 8 years ago

Dear Launnie:

Hello... are your reading the facts???? These two guys are not kids. They are in their mid 20's, one is 27! Should they not be held accountable? This is a felony that they plea bargained for a lessor charge.

Sounds like some-one never popped off the nipple to me Launnnie! Your attitude is just what is wrong with a lot of kids today. Parents always "saving" their kids and not teaching them to be accountable for their actions.
Go home to ma ma, she'll fix everything!

peabody85 8 years ago

I cannot publically comment as can other defense lawyers about Ms. Roesink and Kerry St. James as they are very vindictive people, however what happened regarding the "pig food" two is the norm and not the exception. Abuse of power is what they are about. Ethically they are to seek justice and not merely convictions. Neither has ever been about justice. Time to go.

starrastarollingwaters 8 years ago

DRUG TESTING FOR ALL NOT JUST DRUG OFFENDERS?

I am very concerned with Routt County Judge's, District Attorney's and Probation Officer's who are making convicted "NON-DRUG" offenders with NO previous criminal history take DRUG tests! WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY FOR ALL! Is this Discrimination? What is wrong with our LOCAL GOVERNMENT? Do they not have anything better to with our tax dollars? Or is there a "monoploized" private company, possibly owned by a local "person" that the courts are sending business to? FYI ! The tests only show marijuana use unless the person is addicted to a drug they use daily, because most substances leave the body within 24 hours!

starrastarollingwaters 8 years ago

DRUG TESTING FOR ALL NOT JUST DRUG OFFENDERS? I am very concerned with Routt County Judge's, District Attorney's and Probation Officer's who are making convicted "NON-DRUG" offenders with NO previous criminal history take DRUG tests! WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY FOR ALL! Is this Discrimination? What is wrong with our LOCAL GOVERNMENT? Do they not have anything better to do with our tax dollars? Or is there a "monoploized" private company, possibly owned by a local "person" that the courts are sending business to? FYI ! The tests only show marijuana use unless the person is addicted to a drug they use daily, because most substances leave the body within 24 hours!

noasc 8 years ago

Dear Fastman. I checked out the your city COSTA MESA, I think you should take a look around you area before you pass judgment on our town. You have some open HOMICIDE and SHOOTING cases. I do not think I will ever take a trip to your city. I just might not make it out alive. But I am glad to hear that you will tell people no to come to Steamboat, you can keep your killers right there in COSTA MESA, CA.

HOMICIDE INFORMATION WANTED Case DR# 06-12627 SHOOTING INFORMATION WANTED Case DR# 06-13543 The CITY OF COSTA MESA is offering a reward of $10,000 each for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the involved suspects.

the_Lizard 8 years ago

Har Har, good one noasc. I wonder if Mabear's town/city/village has any internal problems that the rest of the country would like to know about and start a boycott? Nah, Probably not. By the sound of her posts she lives in the perfection of Stepford CT.