Garrett Wiggins: Leading positively by example

photo

Garrett Wiggins, the Republican candidate for Routt County sheriff, is a police officer and narcotics investigator with the Steamboat Springs Police Department.

Election 2006

More Election 2006 stories

My desire to become the next sheriff of Routt County is deeply rooted in my personal history, as I am a third generation law enforcement officer from the Wiggins family.

My wife and I have lived in Routt County for almost eight years and both of our sons were born in Steamboat Springs. Melinda and I both agree that we can't think of any other place we would rather raise our children.

Routt County is a pristine place to call home. As a resident of Routt County, I feel that it is time to bring back a positive working relationship between law enforcement and the community. I am devoted to ensuring that all the residents of this county can rely upon their local law enforcement officers to act in the utmost professional, considerate and honest manner while protecting our community, citizens, land and most important resource - our children.

I believe it is paramount for the Routt County sheriff to apply himself to the theory of leading positively by example. I believe that I possess the qualities necessary to perform the position of sheriff. I want the people of Routt County to know they can depend upon positive experiences with law enforcement deputies. I will bring respect and confidence to the office of Routt County sheriff.

When I became a law enforcement officer I took an oath to serve and protect the innocent and law abiding against the guilty and lawless. I remain steadfast to that oath. Many people just like myself, wear the uniform that stands for honor and integrity and without hesitation we place ourselves in harm's way to protect the innocent.

As the next sheriff of Routt County, I will work diligently to protect and preserve the way of life that we cherish so much. My staff and I will work hard to protect you, your family, your private property and your civil rights to the fullest extent of the law.

If elected, I will implement programs that will retain well-trained, experienced, and professional employees who will provide quality law enforcement services to our citizens.

We will add a reserve program from qualified, P.O.S.T certified individuals from within our county that will benefit the community and our staff in numerous ways.

If elected, I will make it a priority to enhance the relationship between law enforcement personnel and the community so that proactive community policing programs such as the Neighborhood Watch can be put into action throughout the county.

I will work tirelessly with our local schools and community leaders to establish programs that will educate our children on the extreme dangers of illegal drugs and alcohol abuse. Through combining resources, I will exhaust every effort to assist our school administrators in making absolutely sure our schools are a safe and secure learning environment for all our children.

With Rochelle Redmond as my undersheriff, I believe we will be able to ensure the citizens of Routt County are provided paragon law enforcement in all aspects of protection and service.

I am Garrett Wiggins and I am asking every citizen of Routt County, regardless of your political affiliation, to join a winning team and let us work together to lead the Routt County Sheriffs Office into a new and positive direction.

I thank you for your support and your vote on Nov. 7, 2006.

Garrett Wiggins is the Republican nominee for Routt County sheriff.

Comments

Getitright 8 years ago

Who the heck is Gary Wiggins? Is the editor asleep again? Are you trying to lead the voters or is there a Garrett Wall in the race? Diane Strong gets my vote! No wait is it Mike Terry, Nancy Klumker or Dick Kerrigan running for editor? Must be correct, I read it in the paper. What me worry!

Scott Stanford 8 years ago

Getitright:

Inexcusable error that has been fixed. My apologies.

Scott Stanford Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 editor@steamboatpilot.com

ihatestupidpeople 8 years ago

well said garrett you are the man for the job

KennyK 8 years ago

A recent poll of deputies indicate over 90% prefer Garrett Wiggins. Vote Garrett Wiggins.

another_local 8 years ago

I've met Officer Wiggins a couple of times now and heard him speak four times. I think that he is an honorable, hard working guy. I would like to have him as a neighbor.

But I will be voting for Gary Wall. I don't think that Officer Wiggins will bring the changes I would like to see to law enforcement in Routt County. I also think that he sees things too much in black and white with all his talk about the "criminal element." There is a LOT of grey out there.

1. Reduce the us and them mentality.
  2. Keep kids out of the "system" for minor infractions.

With that said, perhaps Officer Wiggins will hear these issues loud and clear from the election process and surprise us all by finding some middle ground if he is elected.

Hmmm 8 years ago

another_local -

So what you are saying is that Gary Wall will bring the necessary changes to law enforcement? I've found throughout this campaign that those that what change to the law enforcement in Routt County, are those that have some sort of grudge, because they received a ticket or were caught driving drunk. Now keep in mind, I'm not saying that person is you, but there are people out there who want Wall as Sheriff because they think they will be able to get away with "minor offenses". My next question to you would be, HAVE YOU READ ANYTHING ABOUT WALL'S BACKGROUND? My guess would be no or that you simply choose not to care (yeah, IRS tax liens/bankruptcy/being arrested/numerous traffic offenses & fines, etc., etc. - how does that qualify Gary Wall to be the next Sheriff?....I'm sure you'll come up with some excuse for all of these "red flags"). You say that you agree with keeping kids out of the system for minor infractions....does that include a kid driving drunk (I looked it up, it's a misdemeanor)??? You also talk about the "us and them" mentality. Again, the only people that feel that way are those who A)Have something to hide and are doing illegal things or B)They are simply anti-law enforcement....I have had good experiences with police officers and not so good experiences, but I don't go around thinking it's "them vs. us"....that's ignorant and childish!! Wall has made a stand on this platform and it's a crumbling platform at best, because Gary Wall has proven to be anti-law enforcement....and no wonder he is with all of those "law breaking" incidents he's been involved in.

So another_local, vote for Wall because that is your right. Although you are just like every other Democrat who is voting for him.....a bunch of cattle aimlessly following one another because it's feeding time. Gary Wall is a Democrat, that is known, but he's a Democrat who doesn't know his left from his right and wants to use tax payer dollars to have deputies pull vehicles out of ditches (that's brilliant...what a moron!).

PROUD TO BE DEMOCRAT, PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN, AND PROUD TO BE VOTING FOR WIGGINS....BECAUSE WIGGINS WON'T PUT THE CRIMINALS AHEAD OF THE CITIZENS OF ROUTT COUNTY.

ihatestupidpeople 8 years ago

do you want to have someone respond to your house when it is getting broke into, do you want to have a dep. respond when you are getting bet by your husband/wife. do you want a dep to respond when your house is on fire. do you want a dep to respond when your 1 yo baby is not breathing so that they can preform cpr. do you want a dep to respond after you just got run off the road by your nebighor. THEN VOTE FOR WIGGINS .

another_local 8 years ago

Nope, no grudge. I just disgree. Propaganda of the way out? How about reasonable view of the middle? I have heard Gary's response to the items you mention above and I am satisfied with it.

Democrat? No to that as well. My votes have always gone to the candidate and not the party. Because of that I have voted for about as many candidtates from one party as the other.

As I said above, I have met Officer Wiggins and have respect for him. If he is elected I am sure he will give it his best. If that is the case, I hope he hears from the community that we want some changes.

seabirth 8 years ago

another local, what specific changes do you want from the sheriff's office and what has gary wall specifically said about taking care of these changes?

i hear that changes need to be made, but i think what's lacking from gary wall is specifics on what changes are going to be made, and why. all i hear from gary is broad, sweeping statements that he can do the job, but no specifics. amendment 44... too complicated. gramnet... i don't know. all i hear from gary is a cute slogan " put the serve back in protect and serve" but the only tangible idea i've heard mentioned is having deputies tow vehicles out of ditches, putting a huge financial liability on routt county (which we will pay for).

also, how can you vote for someone who has not announced who will be their undersheriff? this is not a vice-president type selection that does nothing unless the sheriff leaves office. this is the person responsible for much of the day to day happenings in the sheriff's office. gary wall not having an undesheriff candidate should be a massive red flag to all voters.

Hmmm 8 years ago

Okay another_local-

You hold no grudge and you don't vote along party lines, because you vote for the candidate. Do you vote for the most qualified candidate? Again, I'm sorry to burst your bubble and the rest of the Democrats who are voting for Gary Wall....Wall is not the most qualified candidate. Like seabirth stated, what changes is Wall going to make??? Wall has taken a stand on absolutely NOTHING...."I'm out of the loop"....who wants a Sheriff who is out of the loop (this is what Wall said about GRAMNET, read the article). Wall knows nothing, has not taken a stance on any issues, has a terrible background stricken with red flags, and hasn't even announced an Undersheriff (hello, the election is less than a week away).

Vote for Wiggins, because he's the qualified candidate who has his s*#t together.

Montana 8 years ago

That is so true. I am still just baffled. As a republican there would be absolutely no chance at him winning. It also baffles me that some of the local democratic community is so seemingly desperate to get their party voted in at the cost of the very safety Mr. Wall would be in charge of. I cant even fathom the current deputy's following his orders. They are well trained, dedicated law enforcers who wont be happy sitting around waiting for their turn to tow. I DO know however some of the tow company guys who have been wanting to get in the SO for a LOOOONG time, I guess this will be their chance despite some of their criminal records, especially since some tow companies could be going out of business. Good work Scary Gary.

Hmmm 8 years ago

steamboat_pilot-

My response to you....if you think you can do a better job than the officers in Routt County who put their lives on the line everyday....then get certified, put on a badge and a gun, and go out and prove that you can. What do you do for a living?

The lack of respect for police officers in Routt County is very disturbing...."get people who know how to do more than run a radar gun"....you should be ashamed of yourself and have the dignity to thank the officers who respond to your stupid complaints. Hey steamboat_pilot, the next time an officer dies in the line of duty.....call up his/her family and tell them that all he/she knew how to do was "run a radar gun" (you can find that information at "officerdown.com").

I actually enjoyed some of your posts and thought that you made some good points.....well, you have just proven that you are no better than the rest of the people who publicly put police officers down. To all of the police officers in this great United States....THANK YOU!!

Montana 8 years ago

another local, I was wondering if you were going to attempt to answer the questions from seabirth (5 posts up)? I wont hold my breath.

aside from the usual Sheriff Wanna-Be Gary Wall side show, has anyone met him previous to this race? I have and he is very unpleasant.

CoJustice 8 years ago

The message that Gary Wall has sent to the community is; everything is up for debate (for a price), everything is questionable (for a price) and every task will be up for internal investigation. The citizens of Routt County will be paying many legal battles, and they deserve to pay. The County Commissioners have been aware of employee retention problems and personnel problems for some time.

If Gary Wall was elected, the first thing deputies along with the SSPD officers will have to do is get a strong union in town FAST, with strong union attorneys, not local corruption. In addition, install cameras in their vehicles, and call for State Troopers for back-up on every call. . . . to have witnesses.