Gary Wall: Time for a change

photo

Gary Wall

Election 2006

More Election 2006 stories

If you believe that the Routt County Sheriff's Department needs to change its priorities and management style to reflect the changes that have and will occur in the Yampa Valley, then I am your clear choice for sheriff.

I have the wisdom, vision, sophistication, and desire to instigate positive, pro-active changes in the way that the sheriff's department operates in our community.

I was a member of the Colorado State Council on Criminal Justice for six years. I served as chairman and vice-chairman of this 25-member board that allocated $8 million per year of LEAA federal grant dollars to the criminal justice system, and I personally assisted many small police agencies in solving common problems.

I have been a police officer, a detective sergeant and a police chief. As the police chief of Vail, I was able to recruit qualified people who wanted to serve as well as protect. We had firm, professional, smart law enforcement, with fairness and accountability. As chief, I had an open door policy that worked well with my employees and with the citizens of our town. We worked together to make a difference.

I enjoyed diversifying my life by creating and managing my own successful restaurant for a decade. For the past eighteen years, I've been a private investigator, which has given me a broad range of experiences and a solid understanding of our legal system. The skills that I have gained working for the police, prosecution and defense will be a solid asset to bring to Routt County. My experience with defense will assist greatly in prosecution investigations. I am a master at listening, reasoning and investigating, and a solid believer in our rights as citizens of this country.

I want to create a positive morale in the RCSD and will prioritize the training and hiring of officers who want to serve our community as well as protect. I want to unite the Sheriff's Department under the philosophy of helping people and doing the right thing, instead of fostering the "us and them syndrome." I will break down the barrier that seems to exist between law enforcement and the community. I will have officers who have an interest in community issues and a desire to know citizens on a personal level. I will be instructing my officers to look for ways to help people, and to use good judgment and consider all aspects of any situation.

I will create new ways of solving old problems that have worsened because old methods have failed. I want to deal with kids who are first offenders with minor infractions by working with school counselors, parents, and Routt County Human Services to create new consequences for their actions that don't get them into the formal criminal justice system. I want to tackle the growing problem of serious drug (methamphetamine) use through education, intervention, as well as enforcement. A priority will be to have a well-trained tactical squad to work in cooperation with other enforcement agencies in the event of a very serious threat at a public or private facility.

I have the ability to manage people effectively, and to consider multiple points of view. I have the confidence that will be needed to try new methods of tackling existing problems. I have been P.O.S.T.-certified and will enjoy the two-week refresher course (or will simply take the test). I am excited about the challenges facing me as sheriff.

The citizens of Routt County have a real choice this Nov. 7. I'd be proud to serve Routt County as its next sheriff and ask for your vote so you can be part of the change.

Gary Wall, a private investigator, is the Democratic candidate for Routt County sheriff.

Comments

Hmmm 8 years, 1 month ago

"I have been post certified and will enjoy the two week refresher course (or will simply take the test)." What? Come on Routt County voters, this guy looks for the easy way out on everything. Any self-respecting person running for Sheriff, who is not post certified, would certainly show the deputies he wants to lead that he's not afraid to take the whole course. He hasn't been in law enforcement in 27 years....being a cop is not just a test....what about arrest skills, driving skills, shooting skills, etc.???

Once again Gary Wall has shown that he thinks he's better than the cops he wants to lead....putting himself on a pedestal. His answer/remark should have been, "I look forward to the two week refresher course, so that I can show everybody that getting certified is not a joke and I'm willing to get it done." There are Democrats out there voting for Wall and I ask those Democrats, WHY???? If you are voting for him simply because he's Democrat, then you are making a huge mistake!! Gary Wall DOES NOT HAVE THE PROPER QUALIFICATIONS OR EXPERIENCE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. The Pilot has printed several articles outlining his lack of qualifications/experience....it's black and white, don't let your ignorance get in the way, use your common sense. I AM A PROUD DEMOCRAT AND I WILL BE VOTING FOR A SHERIFF WHO DOES NOT HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND AND WHO DOES HAVE THE PROPER QUALIFICATIONS.....WIGGINS!!!!!

another_local 8 years, 1 month ago

Grudge? No. I did have a speeding ticket once in the last 20 years but that is about it for me and mine. Why do you think that anyone who disagrees with you must have a grudge? That's a little thin.

another_local 8 years, 1 month ago

Good to see that the law enforcement fan club is still here and active. How ya been numbers? Are you headed to the gathering next July?

Hmmm 8 years, 1 month ago

"Law enforcement fan club"? It's plainly obvious that another_local holds a grudge against law enforcement in Routt County (and probably everywhere else). Hey another_local, would you put on a uniform, badge, gun, and go out and put your life on the line everyday? No? If your family is in trouble or needs help after an accident, who do you call? I have had good and bad experiences with the police, but I do not hold a grudge or talk bad about them (it's not "us vs. them"). It's only that way if you hold a grudge or are involved in things you shouldn't be.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gary Wall is not the answer to effective law enforcement in Routt County....his background says it all. I'm a Democrat and I will be voting for the most qualified candidate....somebody who will put the citizens of Routt County first, not the criminals....I will be voting for Wiggins.

ihatestupidpeople 8 years, 1 month ago

gary wall is an old man come on i would not want him backing up one of my friends or if i had a family member that was in law enforcement. he is old and probley lossing his eye sight and his reaction skills. come on oh wait he cant even carry a gun as law enforcement yet and he can not go on calls and if he gets in he is gonna need to go on calls because the word on the street is that he is going to lose just about every dep that he has that can afford to leave. have fun go vote for wiggins

Hmmm 8 years, 1 month ago

another_local-

I don't believe that anyone who disagrees holds a grudge. My point is that the people (Dems) who are voting for Wall must have something wrong (i.e. anti-law enforcement, hold a grudge against the police, lack common sense, blindly vote along party lines, etc.). Do you and other people who are voting for Wall even look at his background and qualifications? Hello, his background stinks worse than a baby's poopy diaper and he has no law enforcement qualifications....being a cop 27 years ago doesn't count.

This Democrat has common sense, does look at the qualifications/background of the candidate, and does vote for the most qualified candidate (even if it's a Republican)....vote Wiggins!!

Hmmm 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh steamboat_pilot-

Come on...the only reason Wall said he did it, was because he was confronted with it. Why didn't Gary Wall stand up from the very beginning and say, "I did these things and I'm accepting responsibility." The facts are that he did not and only started defending himself when they were brought to the forefront. Other than that, he tried keeping them under the rug. We (the voters) only found out about all of his traffic problems last week....that's a little too late for this voter....plus, he tried minimizing everything by blaming somebody or something else. He definitely did not stand up like a man and say he was sorry or responsible.....nope, he instead chose to again utilize excuses (i.e. clerical error, computer's fault, etc.). He has utilized some type of excuse for his behavior during the entire campaign. What's he going to do if he becomes Sheriff??? Is he going to blame problems (because there will be some no matter what) on everybody that works under him (notice how I didn't say for him)?? Or, will he again put himself above the people he wants to lead and make excuses to exonerate himself??

Gary Wall is not a "Democrats, Democrat"....he has not shown this Democratic voter why he should be the next Sheriff. He simply does not have the qualifications or the proper background. Give Gary Wall credit you say?? Credit is earned for doing good things and facing the "music" from the start....Gary Wall has done none of those things and has been on the defensive since the start of his campaign....but that is what a poor background will do.

This voting Democrat will be voting for the Republican candidate...Wiggins!

bigdog 8 years, 1 month ago

Where did Gary get that phony badge? Is it not against the law to impersonate a law enforcement officer?

If he does become sheriff, I wonder if he will be issued a side arm and one bullet for his shirt pocket. LOL!

Montana 8 years, 1 month ago

He already got the bullet.... came with the badge and a slice of Aunt Bee's pie. That's not a department issue!!

Montana 8 years, 1 month ago

How did you like the "pro-active CHANGE" part? sounds like Gary has been listening in on the big boy conversations of REAL law enforcement officers although he cannot use the terms correctly. THAT is so sophisticated.

Exactly numbers. Gary was questioned and, knowing that the facts were out, chose not to lie........ this time. It annoys me that a man like this has the nerve to want to protect me..... from himself. I will try not to attend any dinner parties where he is known to drink enough to become even more arrogant and make an a** of himself.

steamboat_pilot, you keep stating things that might make people think you know what you talk about but you dont. Garrett has nothing to hide, I have known him for over 5 years and he is a respectable person.

Readers, steambot-pilot probably does not work indeed for the Steamboat Newspaper but it has been rumored that he/she does make-up for very fervent fairy-tale company in a far away land.

dave reynolds 8 years, 1 month ago

numbers right on girl...Wall reminds me of John Kerry open mouth insert foot ..they both are so freeking arrogant it makes me want to puke...I've had dealings with Officer Wigggins and have found him professional,courtious, and intellengent..hes got my vote..P.S. thanks Kerry for reasuring me I voted for the lesser of two evils..maybe he should go back to Oral Expression(High School)... does not think on his feet to well..guess he didn't do his homework and tried to be smart..LMAO