Where to bowl
- Snow Bowl, 2090 Snow Bowl Plaza, Steamboat Springs
Hours: Sunday through Thursday:
1 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Friday: 1 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.
- Thunder Rolls Bowling Center, 990 Industrial Ave., Craig
Hours: Sunday: 1 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Monday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Tuesday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m./9:30 p.m. to Midnight
Saturday: Noon to Midnight
- Paradise Lanes, 680 Main St., Walden
Hours: Monday through Wednesday, Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Closed Thursday and Sundays
You tap your fingers on the desk in your hotel - "What to do, what to do?"
When you're not out enjoying the slopes, you can be indoors enjoying the lanes.
There are two bowling centers in the Yampa Valley. In Craig, there is Thunder Rolls Bowling Center, and in Steamboat Springs, you can throw strikes at Snow Bowl.
"Bowling is something the whole family can do," said Chris Runyan, manager at Thunder Rolls Bowling Center.
Thunder Rolls and Snow Bowl offer leagues for men, women and co-ed teams as well as open bowling and fun nights. Thunder Rolls has youth leagues on Saturday afternoons.
"On the first and third Saturday of the month, we have Northern Lights bowling," Runyan said. "We turn off the overhead lights and use black lights."
Northern Lights runs from 9 p.m. to midnight.
Snow Bowl offers moonlight bowling on Friday nights and cosmic bowling on Saturday nights.
"During moonlight bowling, you have the chance to win different prizes," said Julie Whitecotton, manager of Snow Bowl.
Along with night bowling, Thunder Rolls offers a playroom for kids, along with pool, darts and a golf simulator so you can work on your swing in your spare time.
"It's a great family place," Runyan said.
Whitecotton said bowling is quality entertainment for people who are ready to get out of the cold.
"It's about family fun," Whitecotton said.
On average, a family of four spends more than $600 on three days of skiing and three nights' lodging. The average cost for a family of four to hit the lanes is $30, and that includes shoes.
"It's affordable," Whitecotton said.
And if you're looking for a way to burn off that second helping of turkey and potatoes, working on your 7-10 split can help.
- Bowling burns roughly one extra serving of turkey and fixings an hour.
- Bowling strengthens and conditions your arms, shoulders, chest and leg muscles.
- Bowling improves heart and respiratory fitness.
- Bowling increases endurance while maintaining bone density.
- Bowling speeds up your metabolism.
- Bowling uses 134 muscles when you use the basic four-step approach.
- Bowling is a lifetime sport. It is one of the few sports that allows you to compete at a high level at an older age.
- Bowling provides exercise options for people with physical limitations.
- Bowling helps improve your mental outlook by promoting social interaction
- Source: Dell's Insurance Agency, Alamosa