It's that time of year. Snow is imminent and so are skiing and the holidays. It's definitely the season to be At Home in Steamboat Springs.
This is our second edition of the magazine and we've worked hard to get you ready for winter in the Rockies. Whether it's getting fit to hit the slopes, some ideas for Thanksgiving and Christmas, getting in touch with the arts, profiles of locals or options for your kitchen, this issue is packed with things that make the Steamboat lifestyle special.
More specifically, let me highlight some of the things inside:
- "Icons" was longtime reporter and photographer John F. Russell's idea. John wanted to photograph well-known people in Routt County and try to tell their stories primarily through his lens. Collectively, there is nearly 1,000 years of wisdom in the pictorial essay with short biographies by Mike Lawrence. It's just a terrific piece.
- Nobody has done more to ignite redevelopment around the base of Mount Werner than Whitney Ward. Ward's One Steamboat Place, Wildhorse Marketplace and Wildhorse Meadows will transform the mountain area. Veteran reporter Tom Ross profiles this Vermont native whose impact on Steamboat Springs will be felt for years to come.
Scott Stanford is the editor of At Home in Steamboat. Contact him at 871-4221 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Hart's day job is actually a night job - he designs news pages for the Pilot & Today. But Mike also has an ear for music. He writes reviews occasionally for 4Points and in this edition of At Home, he offers a list of 10 CDs to help us out-of-date 40-somethings seem hipper than we actually are.
- Ross gets us ready for winter with a look at the latest gear, and he also takes readers on a tour of some of Steamboat's finest kitchens.
- Allison Plean also spent some time in a kitchen with Chef Rocky LeBrun of Antares. She tells Rocky's story and shares some of his recipes.
- Melinda Mawdsley offers tips from locals to keep your skin looking good in the face of our harsh winter climate, and I have a few tips for those of you looking to spice up your holidays.
- Reporter Alexis DeLaCruz shows you all the different ways you can enjoy spa treatment in Steamboat.
There are a lot more features and photos inside. Take a look - I think you're going to like what you see. And remember, I'm always up for feedback - email@example.com or 871-4221.