Oak Creek cuts $15K from budget

— The Oak Creek Police Department went from a two-person team to a one-woman band Tuesday night after the Oak Creek Town Board cut the department's budget by nearly $11,000.

The budget work session, which was held after the Town Board appointed J. Elliott as the town's mayor, only lasted an hour. But it was enough time for the board to cut about $15,800 from its 2007 budget in an effort to restore the town's dismal general fund.

Although Town Board members agreed to cut expenses in several areas, including traffic control, contract labor and postage, the majority of the money was cut from the police department.

As of today, police Chief Linda Koile is Oak Creek's only law enforcement officer. Police Officer Chris Tritz has been hired by the Routt County Sheriff's Office, and his last day with the department is today. The town decided earlier in the year not to replace a former code enforcement position. The town's training officer, Mike Curzon, is not available for interim police work and serves only as a mentor to the department.

Town Board members acknowledged Tuesday that Koile would be taking on the duties of three people. However, they said amendments could be made to the police department's budget if the town later decides to hire another part-time police or code enforcement officer.

"Right now we just need to get through," Elliott said. "We need to be able to present a zero balance on the (general fund) budget. A bunch of things are going to change over the next few months that we'll deal with then."

The board cut $5,000 from the police department's budgeted salaries, $5,000 from the health and benefits allotment and $1,000 from the department's capital outlay, which was designated for the purchase of new computers.

Koile said she's worried she could get burned out on her job and that it might be difficult to hire police officers because nearly every law enforcement department in Routt County is understaffed.

"This town really can't operate with one officer. That's crazy," she said. "I just hope that when I need it, I can get a few days off here and

there without worrying about the calls - so I don't go

crazy."

Koile said she has spoken with Routt County sheriff-elect Gary Wall about receiving assistance in an emergency, which she said Wall assured her wouldn't be a problem.

"He told me he'd be there for us in whatever capacity it takes for as long as it takes for us to get on our feet," she said. Historically, the Sheriff's Office has provided assistance to the Oak Creek Police Department in emergency situations, she said.

The Town Board also cut the town's cleaning budget from $4,800 to $1,200. Town employees will clean the offices, and professional cleaners will be hired only on an as-needed basis.

The Town Board also agreed to increase the cost of trash service by $1.50 a month. The increase raised the trash fund's revenue to around $79,400, which puts the fund in the black by $4,500.

Town Treasurer Sandy Jacobs said she would make to the changes to the budget within the next week to have it prepared for a final budget work session at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 7. The town must submit its 2007 budget to the State of Colorado by Dec. 15.

-To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

Camo181 7 years, 4 months ago

But Boodog -- we should get something for our money -- with the Town's benefit package, the current Chief (and I use that term loosely) is making around $48K per year off the taxpayers. Guess it pays to be "best friends" with people in high places! She's a JOKE!

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 4 months ago

The police chief is just upset because she has no underlings to be chief of. How can she get burned out... what does she do???

bluntman 7 years, 4 months ago

complimentary rides home for those who have imbibed perhaps a wee bit too much at the local watering holes, of course, JQ.

maybe you need to get out more often, buddy.

: - )

bluntman

bluntman 7 years, 4 months ago

i would rather that the police give DUI's and get the chronic perpetrators off the road. who cares what the SSPD does? things are different in OC (as if you hadn't noticed).

: - )

bluntman

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

Don't worry everybody....Oak Creek is now a 1 officer town and you should all feel much safer.

"When there's something bad, in the neighborhood, who you gonna' call?.....hopefully not the Oak Creek P.D.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 4 months ago

That's right boodog and it should continue in O.C. so that the chief can continue to earn her salary. I think it's wonderful that the OCPD has managed to clean up the town's drug problems, put a stop to domestic violence, stopped all bar fights, stopped all speeding in town and has convinced everyone not to drink and drive. You can tell by their arrest record and tickets issued that these things no longer happen in Oak Creek. I sit back and feel extra safe knowing Linda is on the job.

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh "boo-boo",

To be a police officer, you have to do things.....like enforce the law! When an officer fails to enforce the law, he/she doesn't need back-up....ask people in Oak Creek what they think about their 1 officer....I know you won't, but you'll come up with some dumb comment about it. A majority will tell you that the 1 officer is very nice, but should not be a police officer (yeah, I've asked). It doesn't surprise me that your ignorance has once again shown through....you would stick up for a rock, if you felt it was being skipped across a pond in a viscious manner.

In fact, I think I've challenged you a couple of times to go out and do some investigation on your own regarding your posts (or mine)....and you just come up with some ignorant/uninformed comment. Like I've said, I've been around for many years (many more than you) and I'll say it again....Oak Creek is now a 1 officer town....and that's not good for anybody. At least Mayor Elliot will pay the Routt County Sheriff's Office to help ole' Officer Koile if she needs it.

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

"boo-hoo", Surely you are not threatening to confront me in some way?....one could derive that from your post....however, it doesn't bother me and I'm sure you're not dumb enough to threaten people on your post.

I will have to say that I do enjoy reading your posts, because you always (and I mean always) justify exactly what I said you would do....you reply with some ignorant/uninformed comment and repeatedly fail to prove me wrong about you. It just proves that I am smarter than you, have more common sense than you (and most everybody else), and that I see right through your idiocy (oops, I apologize for the big word).

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

"boo-boo", I think you and I have bantered back and forth long enough, so I will bid you farewell and look to get involved in something other than politics for the time being. However, I will continue to enjoy reading your posts on various subjects....they always provide me with a hearty laugh.

Be safe out there "boo"....it's a big and scary world!

Montana 7 years, 4 months ago

See how who runs? Sounds like "Hmmm" has decided to do other things. It would be nice if "poodog" would follow suit....he sits around thinking of how many ways he can stick up for a rock???....loser!....can't wait to hear his reply on this and other worldly issues. It's just not a good day until I can sit and read how blindly idiotic he is....then I laugh and carry on with work.

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

I've had my fun with "boo-boo" and he can stick up for as many rocks as he wishes. I think it's kind of funny and I really do enjoy reading his posts. They don't make a lot of sense and he obviously has nothing better to do, so more power to him....GO "BOO"!!

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey Montana- I like the style of writing and would be willing to bet that you did that on purpose from reading some of my other posts. I would bet a "G" that "boo-boo" thinks it's some conspiracy between us (he'll probably say we're the same person). Watch and see...I will be surprised if his response doesn't claim something so ridiculous. Good times!

Montana 7 years, 4 months ago

So you are smarter than the average poodog. I've had much fun reading poo's posts and haven't posted in a while. It is easy to mess with the weak minded.

cheesehead 7 years, 4 months ago

Bad mouthing a police officer? Only pathetic law breaking cry baby anti- law enforcent whiners would do such a thing!