Elliott named mayor

'Cargo' loses out in Oak Creek

— Tuesday was an eventful day for Oak Creek's new mayor.

After spending the day shoveling snow, moving furniture and replacing ceiling tiles at the Colorado Bar & Grill, J. Elliott was sworn in as mayor during a special Oak Creek Town Board meeting.

Town Board members voted, 4-1, to have Elliott succeed former mayor Kathy "Cargo" Rodeman, who didn't attend Tuesday's meeting because snowy weather forced her to remain in the small town of Bond. Elliott, who was mayor pro-tem, recused himself from the vote.

About 50 Oak Creek residents attended the meeting, which was scheduled for the sole purpose of appointing a mayor. That process got off to a peculiar start when Town Board member John Crawford made a motion that the names of all four people who had applied for the mayoral position - former Oak Creek Town Board member Bill Paxton, Rodeman, Elliott and Bill Norris - be dropped in a hat and the new mayor selected randomly. The motion quickly died after every other Town Board members and several people from the audience expressed their opposition.

Town Board member Dave Fisher then made a motion to appoint Elliott. That motion was seconded by Tom Bleuer. Board members Angie KenCairn, Crawford, Fisher and Bleuer voted for Elliott. Steve "Spike" Bevin cast the lone dissenting vote.

Although he is eager to move forward with town business, Elliott said he wished his appointment wouldn't have come about in this manner.

"It's not the way I wanted this to happen. I wish the whole mess had never happened. It wasn't necessary," he said. "It was a logical problem that could have been solved before it got emotional."

Elliott was referring to Rodeman's Oct. 13 resignation. At the time, Rodeman said she no longer could work with the current administration. Her announcement came on the heels of a Sept. 25 secret session meeting during which three town employees complained that Rodeman overstepped her boundaries and functioned like a town manager, not a mayor. The employees complained that Rodeman frequently interfered with their jobs. Rodeman denied the accusations.

Rodeman later asked to be reinstated as mayor, saying she had a made a mistake by resigning.

Tuesday's vote signaled a Town Board that was ready to move on without the three-time elected mayor.

But Elliott said he hopes Rodeman will still stay active in town business.

"There is no animosity. I think Cargo will come around. She loves Oak Creek : she is Oak Creek. I want her involved," he said.

Elliott said his main hope is that the town will start healing and move on from the controversy.

"We have a tremendous board. They're all very intelligent and capable," he said. "The board is very representative of the town : we have members representing the old-, medium- and new-timers."

Residents interested in taking over Elliott's Town Board seat must send a letter of interest by 5 p.m. Dec. 12. The new Town Board member will be appointed at the Town Board's Dec. 14 meeting.

Comments

Camo181 7 years, 4 months ago

JQ Yep, I think you're right. The Town is really the victim of all this balderdash and when the next round of silliness starts (wish it wouldn't, but it probably will), hopefully that will be the end of it. The former mayor is quite handy at getting lawyers involved...wonder how much $ she plans on getting out of this one!

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 4 months ago

Camo You are right on the money, I sure hope the town board has put the kabosh on her contacting the town's attorney! I'm sure she'll be able to get "free services" from another attorney of her choice. Look out O.C. it ain't over til the fat lady sings!!!

jpatsteele 7 years, 4 months ago

Good luck to the new staff, and all our friends in the O.C.

Camo181 7 years, 4 months ago

Maybe John Crawford should resign. Not only did he make a motion to draw names out of a hat (should we have purchased raffle tickets?), but when that failed, he suggested choosing the new mayor by "secret" ballot (like the previous mayor did on at least two occasions). Come on Mr. Crawford, vacate your seat so someone with their wits about them can serve on the board. Oak Creek needs serious, level headed people on the board.

More than half of those attending the meeting lastnight stayed for the budget meeting. It's great to see that the word is getting out and Oak Creek citizens are getting involved again.

Not one profanity was heard at this meeting. Quite different from the language used by the former mayor and her people at previous meetings. Things are already looking up! On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't get too comfortable yet -- who knows what Maynard, Wedell and the former mayor may try next.

Good luck Mr. Mayor.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 4 months ago

Way to go camo... I cannot believe the citizens keep re-electing Crawford, it has to be the family name. John is a very nice man (I really do like him) but he is the wishy-washiest, ride the fence elected official I've ever met. If his decision-making skills have been reduced to "draw it out of a hat" and when he does make a choice he doesn't want the public to know how he voted, maybe he should consider resigning. Hopefully the former mayor can understand that the town has intelligently decided and is fully capable of moving forward without her. The ex-mayor and her minions should just fade out of the picture but I don't foresee that happening, town board and employees:. WATCH YOUR BACKS.

bluntman 7 years, 4 months ago

so too will the enduring legacy of her eff-ups, Scott.

bluntman

Scott Wedel 7 years, 4 months ago

J. Elliott would have to be considered a fried of Cargo so I don't view this as Cargo and "her minions" fading from the picture. Plus, Cargo and her minions probably represent a majority of Oak Creek voters if you look at the results of previous elections so they'll probably be around next election.

bluntman 7 years, 4 months ago

if that happens, Boo, the first pitcher of White Rooskies is on me.

: - )

bluntman

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

If ole' Cargo does run again and win (scary thought), then we should all go down to the local watering hole and pick up right where "Cargo" left off....we'll pound some white russians, talk about town business to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, and then nicely proceed to who we like and dislike in the town (maybe we'll even talk about other board members).

It's scary to think that I know of "Cargo's" bar antics first hand and I don't even live in Oak Creek....ahhhhh, but I do have friends in Oak Creek who have witnessed her behavior take place in the Elks and Colorado Bar....and that's no hearsay folks!

candylane 7 years, 4 months ago

Camo, you talk about getting rid of John Crawford! Last night during the budget session he was the only one to question the math, but was quickly susshed! When the town's budget for cleaning the offices is $1200 for the year, and the most paid over the last few years was $2400, the ladies of the office will now be doing the cleaning (but not the bathrooms!) at $400 a month. How does that make the budget equal up! They will be getting a $200 a month raise cleaning the office a 1/2 hour a day! Nice. But the budget looks short about $3600! Nice job John, eventhough your objections fell on deaf ears!

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

Hearsay: an item of idle or unverified information or gossip; rumor.

Nice try "Boo"....what you're trying to say, is that my friends and even people I don't know are lying about seeing "Cargo" in the bar, rip roaring drunk, and talking about Oak Creek's town business....those are facts, not hearsay...that information has been verified and it has been done so on numerous occasions. Are you retracting your post Boo? You know the one....where you asked "Cargo" not to participate in her bar antics if she were to become Mayor again. Surely you are not going to "fain" amnesia about that...are you?

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh "BOO", you know that what I have posted is a fact and people (including you) have witnessed "Cargo's" bar behavior as Mayor. Why do you insist on acting like her behavior is/was acceptable? You stand up for her (fine), you think she was a good Mayor (fine), but you don't seem to want to recognize the fact that a good Mayor should not (under any circumstances) participate in such activities. If "Cargo" was such a great Mayor, then WHY? Why did she go to the bars and act like an idiot? A great Mayor is one who is great in all aspects of the job, which includes the personal life of that Mayor....sorry, "Cargo" was not a great Mayor. "Cargo" (and maybe you) say that many people in Oak Creek love her and think she was a great Mayor....well, many people in Oak Creek can't stand her and think she was a terrible Mayor (remember, two sides to every story).

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

"Boo"- My business is not that interesting and I choose to talk about other things when I go out on the town (which is very rare)....oh, and if I do decide to go out on the town, I drink responsibly and make sure that I'm acting like an adult....don't worry, I'm not taking a shot a you or trying to pick a fight with you.

Again (and in your words), I'm willing to bet a "G" that J. Elliot doesn't participate in "Cargo" behavior. He's the new Mayor and will conduct himself appropriately (both in public and in his personal life).

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

It's pretty easy to be elected.....when nobody shows up to vote! I've been around Routt County and Southern Routt County for many, many years....I know what's going on and I probably know more than most of the people who claim to know "Cargo". The fact is that many people are so sick of the way Oak Creek has been run over the years, that they don't care to participate in anything Oak Creek does. There was a time when the town of Oak Creek actually had good people leading them....heck, Oak Creek even had a police department with more than 2 officers.

The winds of change are blowing again in Oak Creek. Young families are moving to town (and they won't put up with incompetent people running the town, police dept., etc.), new homes are going up (ones that drug addicts can't afford), and there is a new Mayor (one who won't go down to the bar everynight and continue to make Oak Creek the butt of jokes....go ask somebody who lives somewhere other that Oak Creek what they think about "Cargo" and the town), because for years the town has been the butt of jokes and I'm happy to hear that it is no longer going to be the case.

Hmmm 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh "Boo-hoo"- Sounds like you would like a drug addict to move in next to you....which do you prefer, one who is addicted to meth or heroin? It always amuses me how you stick up for such people....go ahead, say you don't, because that's a typical reply for you. Why would you consider that a smear? Drug addicts are not productive members of our society, but it's obvious that you have some sort of soft spot for them....do you partake in the "reefer"?....do you sympathize with the addicts who burglarize, rape, and rob? Yes/No? Don't answer, because you will say something ridiculous (I think I heard of a Mayor who had some problems with drugs). Yeah, people are moving to Oak Creek because of "Cargo"....that is the funniest statement I've heard in quite awhile (Ha!). And I do thank you for pointing out that, yes, I am smarter than the people who voted for "Cargo"....it's about time you said something intelligent. In fact, I consider myself smarter than most of the morons who walk this earth (why?...because I have common sense and can see through the idiots who run around taking up the air I breathe)....oh yeah, our current Govt. would fall into that category.

How long have you lived here "Boo"?....a real number, not one that you've made up. You obviously live in a fantasy world and I'm surprised the real world has not come back to bite you for it....it will though. I am smarter than you, I am smarter than the people who voted for "Cargo", and thank you very much for making my day by pointing that out.

Camo181 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey Candylane--did you not read the article in today's SP&T about lastnight's budget meeting? The Board cut the cleaning budget from $4,800/yr to $1,200/yr. Not sure how you came up with your figures -- oh yeah! I bet you and Crawford put all the numbers in a hat and came to your conclusion!

candylane 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey Camo....I was there, were you. They are going to pay the town clerk ladies for 5 hours a week (overtime at time and half) $20.00 an hour to clean the offices. But they will not be cleaning the bathrooms. Anyone needing to do community service will have that job. Eventhough, the only one using the town bathrooms, are those ladies! If you were there and grabbed a budget sheet, under contract labor...$1200 for 07 / $2400 for 06, $200 for 05. Those numbers are not out of the hat...just black and white facts that Mr. Crawford or any else had access to!

Camo181 7 years, 4 months ago

My sincere apologies davinci. I forgot about whom I am talking.

By the way, Candylane--the previous contract cleaner (a close and personal friend of the former mayor) was making $400/month to clean Town Hall (10 hrs./week) -- the most $ in years! The office staff volunteered to clean and, guess what? They will receive NO COMPENSATION for this. And, yes, they will clean the toilets (which are open to the public) since it is so important to you. The $1,200 budget (again, down from $4,800) is to be used for contractors to clean the windows, carpets--the "big" stuff. Please check it out. One of the Board members felt the office staff should be compensated in some manner, but, guess what? We don't have the money. Check it out. Dare ya!

Here we go--more numbers in the hat!