Yampa victims remain critical

Advertisement

Two Yampa men remained in critical condition at a Greeley hospital Tuesday after they were seriously injured in a propane gas explosion Monday afternoon.

A spokeswoman with North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley said Charles "Chuck" Broadbent, 57, and Michael Teters, 54, were being treated for their injuries in the hospital's burn unit.

The men were flown to Greeley on Monday afternoon after they were taken by ambulance to Yampa Valley Medical Center.

Routt County Sheriff John Warner said Tuesday that Teters and Broadbent were working on replacing a propane water heater at Teters' home at 29100 Routt County Road 8 when the new water heater apparently exploded.

The men installed the new heater, and it exploded when one of the men attempted to light the heater's pilot, Warner said.

Yampa Fire Protection District firefighter Scott Delto said the men were outside the home when rescuers arrived Monday afternoon. The accident occurred at 2:11 p.m. Teters was the first person to report the accident, Warner said.

Sheriff's Office deputies said a small fire started after the explosion, but that one of the men was able to turn off the gas line that was feeding the house, saving the structure.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.