Condo room damaged in morning fire

Advertisement

A small fire caused significant damage to a room in a Meadowlark Condominiums unit early Saturday morning.

Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue Chief Bob Struble said firefighters were dispatched to the home in the 3000 block of Village Drive a little before 9 a.m. after reports of smoke from residents. Struble said the initial call for the fire came from the home's fire detector.

Struble said firefighters found a couch on fire in one of the complex's units and extinguished the blaze. Firefighters contained the fire to one room, Struble said.

Struble said the unit was empty at the time of the fire, adding that the blaze most likely was accidental.

The fire did not damage the condominium units above or below the burned unit, Struble said.

Residents of the complex were evacuated from their homes for about an hour. Traffic was blocked at Village Drive and Walton Creek Road while crews worked to secure the area, Struble said.

The other rooms in the condo unit were not significantly damaged by the fire. There was widespread heat and smoke damage, Struble said.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.