Steamboat Springs A fire broke out at a 12-unit condominium building Tuesday night, forcing the people who were staying there to make alternative lodging arrangements.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were dispatched at about 6:20 p.m. to a report of smoke coming from the roof of The Pines Condominium building at 520 Ore House Plaza unit number 301. The complex is located along Pine Grove Road behind Central Park Plaza.
Firefighters were on scene into the evening and were unavailable for comment. No injuries were reported.
Jessica Stevenson lives in the building next door and called 911 to report the fire.
"I came home from work, saw the smoke coming out of the roof and thought it was a chimney or a fire," said Stevenson, adding the condos have wood-burning fireplaces.
She said she ran up to the top floor and knocked on the door of the unit she thought the smoke was coming from. No one answered, she heard the smoke alarm go off and then called for help.
Thick smoke was coming from the roof, she said. No flames were visible from outside the building.
To fight the fire, firefighters steered the ladders from two fire trucks onto the roof. Firefighters climbed onto the roof, removed areas of snow and then used chainsaws to access the attic area.
"This was our first night here," said one man who would not give his name, but said he owned one of the units. "Ski trip looks like a no-go, and we need a place to stay tonight."
Steamboat Police and the on-site property manager also were on scene assisting people displaced by the fire. They told people they would not be able to get into the building Tuesday night, and they needed to make arrangements to find a place to stay the night.
The condos at the complex are occupied by owners, as well as short- and long-term renters.