Routt County students received high honors at this year's Colorado State Fair 4-H competitions.
Of the 64 projects submitted to the competition, 16 top honors were awarded to 13 local 4-H members.
"It's kind of unique that we had such a great showing and it shows what great work our kids do," said Colorado State University extension agent Karen Massey. "We did incredibly well."
Cortni Denning, 18, of Yampa, got the second place - or the reserve grand champion - honor for her Fashion Revue project.
Her project involved fashioning an outfit and accessorizing. She then had to model her design in front of judges at the competition.
"I did well with the outfit, but I really did well modeling and posing in it," said Denning, who just started her freshman year at Colorado Northwestern Community College in Rangely, where she is studying to become a dental hygienist.
Denning competed against about 60 other girls, and she said getting second was a big accomplishment.
"I was a little surprised," Denning said. "It was a big competition."
Other top finishers from Routt County were:
- Hannah Barkey, 12, Steamboat Springs - Entomology, Grand Champion; Food, Fitness and Fun, Grand Champion; Ethnic Fiber Arts, Reserve Grand Champion.
- Mallory Hoots, 11, Steamboat Springs - Clothing Construction, Champion; Baking/Cakes, Champion.
- Izabel Horn, 9, McCoy - Ethnic Fiber Arts, Reserve Grand Champion.
- Jessica Rossi, 8, Yampa - Beginning Clothing, Champion.
- Heather Nereson, 9, Hayden - Weaving, Champion.
- Tyler Manzanares, 16, Hayden - Leather Carving, Champion.
- Krista Tomke, 12, Hayden - Beginning Leather Carving, Reserve Champion.
- Jeff Connet, 16, Stagecoach - Leather Carving, third place.
- Brandon Yeager, 9, Steamboat Springs - Songbirds and Birds of Prey, third place.
- Emily Hallenbeck, 16, Hayden - Cake Decorating.
- Jaelyn Whaley, 10, Yampa - Clothing Construction, third place.
- Natalie Smith, 10, Phippsburg - Creative Clothing, third place.
- To reach Matt Stensland, call 871-4210 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org