Local personality turns the dial

Radio station manager Brian Harvey hired by Cool Radio

— Longtime Steamboat Springs radio station manager Brian Harvey has left NRC Broadcasting to join rival Cool Radio.

NRC Broadcasting operates KFMU, KIDN, KQZR and KRMR; Cool Radio operates KBCR AM and FM.

"We believe that any radio station is essentially held in the community trust, and we are absolutely thrilled to have (Harvey) on board," said Tom Dobrez, owner of Cool Radio. "He shows the commitment to what we define as true local radio."

KBCR-FM (96.9) has a country format while KBCR-AM (1230) is ESPN sports radio. Harvey is the general manager for the stations.

"Brian is an extremely high-profile figure in the marketplace," Dobrez said. "He is very dedicated, and he is a Steamboat original. We are very fortunate to have found him and that he was able to make the switch."

Harvey worked for NRC Broadcasting for 10 years before making the switch to KBCR.

"I am excited for the new challenge and excited to be working for a smaller company with a more local vision," Harvey said. "We're going to work on making KBCR more local and listener oriented, and it already is. We are trying to continue with that goal."

Dobrez said Harvey will play a pivotal role in upgrading the station.

"KBCR-AM/FM is back on the map," Dobrez said. "We don't program from afar. The input is local, and the output is local."

The station plans to do more with its sports station and Harvey will have a presence there. He said he is especially happy to be joining forces with Tom Palmer, who has done KBCR's morning show for the past 15 years.

"We thought we teamed up the two best guys in local broadcasting," Dobrez said. "Tom and Brian are very well-known throughout the community and will form the most formidable broadcasting team in Steamboat for sure. This is a good day for Steamboat radio listeners."

Comments

flipside 8 years ago

What a puff piece. Did you know that Harvey was DEMOTED before he "left" KFMU???

JazzSlave 8 years ago

flipside

A small-market dj jumping ship is hardly the news of the century. Expecting anything beyond 'he used to be here, and now he's over there' is wishful thinking.

I'm not fond of country, so I've never really listened to KBCR. Hopefully, they do a better job and demand more of their jocks than Harvey did when he was "managing" for NRC Broadcasting - some of the WORST radio I have ever heard.

hanleyfamily561 8 years ago

Brian did a great job of calling the highschool sports. I hope he will continue to do so. Frankly I think that it is cool when local talent can stay local, despite bigger companies moving in and chasing our talent elsewhere. I wish him the best of luck with the station change and hope he can make it work!

JazzSlave 8 years ago

hanleyfamily561:

Who are the "bigger companies" responsible for this exodus of local talent?

Just curious.

Matthew Stoddard 8 years ago

Brian's a great guy. I've seen DJ's and admin go from station to station in this town, and then back to their first station. Woop-de-doo.

I consider Brian a great friend, and a great talent. He will be an asset to any company he works for. As it goes in this town, working 10yrs for any specific radio station is pretty dang long.

suzieloo 8 years ago

I'm going to start listening to country...and advertising there. Brian Harvey was the best thing going on those stations! His highschool sports coverage--hockey and football--was great. The kids thought he was awesome. If he was demoted by the Denver company that owns the Steamboat stations...it was a bad move. He is what made that station local. Not the Denver ownership group who only want to improve the bottom line.

river_tam 7 years, 12 months ago

Will KBCR-AM be better? I just want to listen to the Rockies and Avalanche with clear reception in Hayden, put them on FM, please.

soccercstate 7 years, 11 months ago

Please get Brian Harvey off the news, he is terrible! If I want the newspaper read to me I can do that at work. Harper Louden was a class act and did a great job, Brian Harvey may do a good job at sports but he is terrible with the local news. He should listen to the tapes of Harper Louden and learn from a professional! By the way....I also saw where he was demoted!!!

JazzSlave 7 years, 11 months ago

soccercstate:

You've just tweaked one of my pet peeves. If you've ever listened to the HORRIBLE news readers at NRC (Jay White & Julia something-or-other), whom Harvey was "managing", then you already know he doesn't have a clue.

I'd love to see Harvey's resume. It's astonishing to me that someone who's been in the biz as long as he has could be unaware of the HUGE difference between print copy & broadcast copy.

soccercstate 7 years, 11 months ago

I no longer listen to the KBCR news in the morning, I turn the radio off. Harvey reads the paper to us word for word and his voice is not suited for the radio. I feel cheated, it was "my station" first!