Rugby squad smothers Glenwood


No last-minute tries were needed for the Steamboat Rugby Club this time around.

In the previous meeting between Steamboat Springs and Glenwood Springs, the two teams played relatively even until Steamboat scored late to leave Glenwood with a closer-than-expected victory.

On Saturday, Steamboat prevailed easily, 51-22, despite the absence of several key players. Captain Michael Hurley refereed because the scheduled official did not show.

Steamboat showed off some of its depth in the win, getting tries from five players.

"We played in patches," Jim--my Gardiner said. "We went to sleep toward the end."

Gardiner and Glenn Black-

--more led the way for Steamboat with three tries each. Steam--boat's lead was as big as 39-5 early in the second half before Glenwood mounted a bit of a comeback. Glenwood scored two unanswered tries to pull within 39-17, but Steamboat answered 24 minutes into the second half, when Blackmore scored his second try.

Glenwood was running

around with the ball in Steam--boat's try zone, but Steamboat couldn't gain possession before the ball went out of bounds. Steamboat regained possession on the ensuring scrum at the 5-yard line.

A series of passes across the field sprung Blackmore lose for a run up the middle and the easy score. He converted the kick, giving Steamboat a 46-17 lead.

Glenwood scored six minutes later, but Steamboat put the final points on the board after a great interception by Eric Dorris.

Dorris snagged the ball as Glenwood was driving and made a run down the right sideline. The lone player back for Glenwood managed to trip up Dorris, but not before he pitched the ball back to Blackmore for another easy try in the middle of the field.

Blackmore converted another kick as time expired.

The win kept Steamboat in second place in the Rocky Mountain Cup race, but Vail will win the inaugural cup. Steamboat and Vail split their regular season games, but Vail scored more points, giving it the trophy.

Each team won its home game.

Steamboat opened Satur-

day's game with a try from rugby rookie Nick Hotchkiss. It wasn't his first try of the season, but he admitted he still is learning the game.

"The hardest thing is trying to understand what they want me to do," Hotchkiss said.

The team used Hotchkiss' speed on the outside for the goal, but Steamboat also scored several tries by recovering loose balls in its try zone.

Also scoring for Steamboat on Saturday were Stef Nijsten and Chris McConnell.

Steamboat's next games are Saturday in Breckenridge, where it will take part in the Mountain 15's tournament.

-- To reach Melinda Mawdsley call 871-4208 or e-mail


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.