Homeowner snuffs roof fire

Quick thinking, garden hose help put out blaze before trucks arrive

Advertisement

A man was able to hose down a fire that had spread across the roof of his house, saving the structure before firetrucks arrived Sunday.

About 3 p.m. Sunday, Jim and Nancy Wilson noticed the roof of their house on fire. The house is 12 miles south of the city on Routt County Road 33.

Jim Wilson said hot embers from his chimney ignited the roof. Nancy Wilson called 911, and Jim Wilson said he used a garden hose to try to put out the fire. By the time Jim Wilson began hosing down the roof, the fire already had reached its peak.

"Definitely five minutes later, I couldn't have controlled the fire," Jim Wilson said. "We were very lucky we caught it when we did."

By the time the Steamboat Springs and Oak Creek fire departments arrived, Jim Wilson said the fire was extinguished and had not spread to the rest of the house.

One city firetruck and ambulance responded. Oak Creek, the secondary responder, sent one firetruck.

Once on the scene, the Steamboat fire department got up on the roof to check for hot spots, removed the burned shingles and fixed a hole caused by the fire.

"I was totally amazed by what a good job they did and how concerned they were," Jim Wilson said.

-- To reach Christine Metz call 871-4229

or e-mail cmetz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.