Steamboat Springs Although Shanne Pollak, an animal control officer, loves to be surrounded by cute puppies at the animal shelter, she knows the puppies would not be homeless if more people took the time to spay or neuter their pets.
The Routt County Humane Society is hoping to curtail the population of unwanted puppies and kittens through more proactive measures with the assistance of the society's spay/neuter program.
To make it easier for low-income residents to get their cats or dogs spayed or neutered, the society is hosting an eight-week auction to raise money to continue the spay/neuter program and provide funds to assist injured animals brought to the shelter.
Through programs at the Humane Society, spay/neuter surgeries are offered at almost one-third the cost at most veterinary clinics for low-income residents.
Pollak said all people need to do is contact the Humane Society and they will receive a waiver to be taken to a local vet.
She said the benefits of getting a pet spayed or neutered are numerous, even for the health of the animal.
Spayed or neutered pets live longer, she said, and do not contribute to the overpopulation of unwanted cats and dogs that are often left without homes.
Pollak said that approximately 60 to 70 dogs are brought to the animal shelter in Steamboat every month. She said 80 percent of the cats and dogs are returned to their owners but that the remaining 20 percent are put up for adoption.
Although Steamboat, like many places, has an overpopulation of cats and dogs, most animals are adopted and few are ever euthanized.
To participate in the auction residents, call 870-6838 and listen to a voice recording with the current bid prices. People are asked to leave a message with their bids on the item being auctioned that week. Participants will receive a call the following day with information regarding their bids.
The items being auctioned include the following:
n Today though Wednesday: A full day Backcountry Powder Cat package to ski or snowboard and a gift certificate for $75 for any chamber member, restaurant or retail. Valued at $700.
n Wednesday-April 3: The Avalanche Package, including two club seats with V.I.P. parking for the Avs-Dallas game on April 14 and a night's stay at the Westin Hotel on April 13. Valued at $450
n April 3-April 10: A full day private lesson with John James, one of the top snowboard instructors; a day lift pass; snowboard rental from "Powder Tools," and a $25 gift certificate from the Tugboat. Valued at $750
n April 10-April 17: Two Billy Kid performance camps and two lift tickets. Valued at $600
n April 17-24: A pet portrait by Susan Schiesser Valued at $2,500.00
n April 24-May 1: A one-year membership at Steamboat Health and Recreation Center and a dinner gift certificate.
Meredith Geldmeier is a senior
at Christian Heritage School and
an intern for the Pilot & Today.