Steamboat Springs Eight people were out of housing Tuesday night after a fire broke out in a mobile home in Dream Island Plaza.
A fire that started on the bottom of the mobile home and caused extensive smoke damage left owner LaLa Blasingame, her daughter, son and five house guests homeless Tuesday night.
After smelling smoke and finding the underside of the mobile home on fire, Blasingame called 911 at 6:09 p.m. The Steamboat Springs Fire Company arrived on scene five minutes later, but Blasingame's guests had most of the flames out by the time they arrived.
Blasingame's son and his friends, all from Phoenix, began shoveling snow onto the fire to keep it under control.
"When I got there, I had a hard time telling what trailor it was, there was no visible flame. The young men throwing snow down kept it at bay," Fire Chief Bob Struble said.
Although the young men, who had come to Steamboat Springs during their winter break, had contained the fire, Struble said that heavy smoke damage would keep the family and their guests out of the house for the night. The fire company was working with the Red Cross to find housing for them Tuesday night.
Blasingame's son, Weston Waybill and his friends Brian Sheppard, Travis Kane, Jake Nicol and Ryan Trapp plan to stay in Steamboat until Thursday.
An engine truck, ladder truck and squad truck arrived on the scene, as did 17 firefighters, two policemen and an ambulance crew.
The majority of the fire was in the crawl space of the mobile home, but some of the fire did travel through the vents and into the ceiling. The fire in the mobile home, which was near the east end of the Dream Island Plaza, did not cause any damage to nearby homes.
Struble said that the fire could have been caused by a temporary heater used underneath the trailer to warm pipes. Blasingame had recently had trouble with her water pipes freezing and had a plumber working underneath the mobile home, Fire Marshall Jay Muhme said.