Sentence reduced in bar stabbing


— A Denver man sentenced in March to four years in prison for stabbing a man in the neck with a beer bottle had his sentence reduced to four years of probation.
On Monday, Derek Ryan Irwin, 27, had his sentence reconsidered by Routt County District Judge Richard Doucette.
"This defendant deserves another opportunity," Doucette said during the hearing.
Due to "exceptional, unusual and extenuating circumstances," Doucette resentenced Irwin to four years of supervised probation.
"The court is prepared to give the defendant an opportunity to get on with his life, raise a family and become a productive member of our society," he said.
Irwin was sentenced to four years in the Colorado Department of Corrections on March 28.
Since then, Irwin has been serving time in the correction facility in Sterling.
Irwin pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with a deadly weapon in March for stabbing the man in the neck at The Inferno, 2305 Mt. Werner Road.
Irwin reportedly hit the victim in the head with a beer bottle and then stabbed him in the neck with the broken end of the bottle in the early morning hours of April 5, 1999.
Irwin told police the man had been badgering him and his friends.
He told police that during the night, the man kept on trying to pick a fight with him and his friends because they were talking to the man's ex-girlfriend.
The man was treated for a cut to the right side of his neck in the emergency room at the Routt County Hospital.
According to Doucette's decision, "The incident involved a barroom fight over a female and the parties involved had been drinking. There was no premeditation."
Doucette also said that Irwin did not "flee the scene, resist or lie to police," the decision states.
Doucette also believes Irwin is sorry for what he did.
"The defendant has plead guilty and expressed remorse for his conduct," the ruling states. "He is supported by family, friends, co-workers and employer."
Numerous letters, including ones from Irwin's mother and stepfather, were sent to Doucette requesting that Irwin be released.
A letter from Fischer Imaging in Denver also was sent to Doucette explaining that the company is interested in hiring Irwin.
Doucette also said Irwin has "educated himself and engaged in self-rehabilitation not available in the DOC," the decision states.
A letter from the Abusive Behavior Center was sent to the judge. According to the letter, Irwin has enrolled in anger management treatment at the Arvada facility.
Along with the supervised probation, Irwin was also ordered by Doucette to pay about $1,000 in restitution.
Prior to the incident, Irwin was working for the airline industry. He was employed by AMR Services as a ramp operator at Denver International Airport. He also worked for the company periodically at the Yampa Valley Regional Airport.
The night of the fight, Irwin had completed his last day of work at the local airport. He was planning on returning to Denver.

To reach Gary E. Salazar call 871-4205 or e-mail


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.