Local business closes for three days after fire scare

Advertisement

— The owner of Winona's Restaurant and Bakery prides himself on the fact his business closes less than five days a year.
But Scott Fox was forced to close the doors of the restaurant for three days this week because of smoke damage caused from a smoldering wooden platform holding a heating unit on the roof of the building.
The Steamboat Fire Department was called to the eatery at about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday when an employee opening up the business for the day found the inside of the restaurant filled with smoke.
The smoke was seeping into the restaurant from a platform that was smoldering due to a faulty part on a heating unit, Fox said.
"We were very fortunate nothing ignited," Fox said. "The fire department was incredible. They got here immediately and got right on it and assessed the situation."
Although the smoldering platform did not cause any structural damage, it did cause smoke damage to the inside of the restaurant, Fox said.
"We had a fair amount of smoke," he said. "We have been cleaning everything. We had to wipe everything down. It could have been a lot worse."

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.