Missouri rape suspect waiting in county jail


— Brian Dewayne Jackson, the suspected rapist from Missouri who was captured here last week, continues to be held in the Routt County Jail without bond.

Jackson was the subject of an intense manhunt on Rabbit Ears Pass Aug. 8. He was found unconscious in a dense stand of timber about seven miles south of Steamboat after apparently attempting to commit suicide by slashing his left wrist with a large bone-handled knife.

Jail administrator Lt. Fred Johnston confirmed Tuesday that authorities from Montgomery County, Mo., had not yet traveled to Steamboat Springs to claim their prisoner, but "things are in motion."

Jackson waived his right to an extradition hearing before Routt County Judge James Garrecht the morning after his arrest. He faces charges in Missouri of forcible rape with a dangerous instrument (a knife), felonious restraint (kidnapping), armed criminal action, endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree and vehicular theft.

Missouri authorities had 10 days from Aug. 9 to retrieve Jackson.

Prosecuting Attorney Kelly Broniec in Montgomery City, Mo., told Steamboat Today the charges against Jackson stem from Sept. 20, 1999. He and a co-defendant, Bobby Eisenhauer, are suspected of having abducted a woman and her child that day from their home in neighboring Warren County. Broniec said law enforcement officials believe the two men took the victim to a rural area and raped her at knifepoint.

Eisenhauer already is being held on rape charges, but last week's arrest was the first time Jackson had been taken into custody in connection with the alleged crime in Missouri. However, it was the second time Jackson was arrested in Routt County on suspicion of committing a crime in Missouri. The last time, Jackson received a probationary sentence after being arrested in 1998 on a charge of burglary.

Routt County law enforcement officials became involved in the Jackson case after FBI agents in Missouri alerted the FBI office in Glenwood Springs that the fugitive might be camping on Rabbit Ears pass. FBI special agents Ken Jackson and Craig Byrkit, together with four sheriff's deputies, entered the primitive campsite on the west side of Rabbit Ears Pass on the morning of Aug. 8, but did not find their man. As they were preparing to leave the area across U.S. 40 from the runaway truck ramp, a passing motorist flagged them down and said she'd seen a man fleeing into the woods north of the highway.

Sheriff John Warner and the FBI agents organized a manhunt that involved deputies from three counties, the Colorado State Patrol and volunteers from Routt County Search and Rescue. A private helicopter and an airplane from the state patrol joined in the hunt. Ultimately it was a search dog, Pepper, trained by Jim Vail of search and rescue, that located the fugitive. Jackson was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center for treatment of his injuries and released into custody that night.

Based on evidence at the campsite, Warner estimated Jackson may have been there for two weeks or more.

To reach Tom Ross call 871-4210 or e-mail tomross@amigo.net


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.