Fugitive headed back to Missouri

Man caught on pass appears in court; faces charges of kidnapping and rape


— Brian Dewayne Jackson, the Missouri man arrested after a 10-hour manhunt here Tuesday, experienced a dramatic change of mind Wednesday, and agreed to extradition to his home state.
Officials in Montgomery County, Mo., have 10 days to retrieve Jackson from the Routt County Jail, where he is being held without bail. Jackson, 25, is wanted in Montgomery County on suspicion of raping a woman at knifepoint, kidnapping, endangering the welfare of a child, taking "armed criminal action" and vehicular theft.
Jackson appeared before Judge James Garrecht in Routt County Court at about 11 a.m. Wednesday and initially indicated he wanted to resist extradition.
"I don't want to go back," Jackson told Garrecht at first.
Jackson only nodded his head in affirmation when Garrecht suggested he would appoint a defense attorney.
Jackson left the courtroom in the custody of Routt County Undersheriff Dan Taylor and jail Lt. Fred Johnston, but reportedly changed his mind while being transported back to his jail cell and asked to return to the courtroom. When he returned, Jackson told the judge he would waive his right to an extradition hearing.
Jackson's reversal means he is certain to return to face charges in Missouri.
Prosecuting Attorney Kelly Broniec in Montgomery City, Mo., said Wednesday the charges against Jackson stem from a Sept. 20, 1999, incident in which he and a co-defendant, Bobby Eisenhauer, are suspected of abducting a woman and her child from their home in neighboring Warren County. Montgomery City is on Interstate 70 between Columbia and St. Louis, Mo.
Missouri authorities believe the two men took the adult victim to a rural area and raped her at knifepoint.
Eisenhauer is in custody and charged with rape and sodomy, Broniec added. She said Montgomery County Sheriff Robert Davis and FBI agents in Missouri have been trying to find Jackson in the 11 months since the crime occurred.
Court documents also show that the charge of endangering the welfare of a child stemmed from allegations that Jackson left the rape victim tied to a pole in a barn, and left her child unattended in a car seat in the barn.
Jackson's arrest Tuesday was not his first brush with the law.
Court documents show that he was arrested in Routt County in August 1998 and extradited to Missouri to face burglary charges. He received two years of probation in connection with that charge.
Jackson appeared disoriented in court on Wednesday. He continually rocked in his seat, often gazed into space while Garrecht spoke to him and struggled to understand the judge's questions. His left hand and wrist were heavily bandaged, the result of an apparent suicide attempt by Jackson that occurred while he was being pursued on Rabbit Ears Pass.
Almost 50 law enforcement officers and support personnel were involved in the manhunt for Jackson Tuesday. He was eventually found unconscious and bleeding by a search dog named Pepper.
Law officers had attempted to sneak up on Jackson Tuesday morning in his campsite on the pass, where authorities believe he may have been for as long as three weeks. However, Jackson apparently saw them coming and fled across the highway and a runaway truck escape ramp. He ran uphill into dense timber above the 8,300 foot elevation.

To reach Tom Ross call 871-4210 or e-mail tomross@amigo.net


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.