Duckels ticketed for erosion-control violations

— After numerous warnings to Duckels Construction, the city planning department has issued three citations for violations relating to soil erosion control problems at the company's Long View subdivision construction site.

The construction company, if convicted of the misdemeanor, could face up to $2,997 in fines for the three tickets and owner Fred Duckels could potentially face 180 days in jail. In addition, the company could continue to be fined daily if the erosion problem isn't remedied.

"Duckels is in violation of the construction site management chapter of their building permit," city and county construction site inspector Sandy Fiebing said. "I tried to work with them on this to see if we could get it under control. They aren't preventing sediment from running off the site. They need to implement the erosion control plan and fix the problems."

Fred Duckels didn't return phone calls Tuesday.

According to a construction site management plan, Duckels is required to dispose of drainage water in a manner that prevents flooding, erosion or other damage to any portion of the site or adjoining areas. The company is also responsible for revegetation in the event that the construction project is stopped for 90 days or more. According to Fiebing, Duckels is in violation of both these stipulations as well as the Steamboat Springs revised municipal code, which states it must follow city building permit regulations.

"There was massive grading that took place on the site last fall and the company hasn't done any work since then. They didn't revegetate the site and that's a major problem," Fiebing said. "There's water and soil runoff all over the site. It's draining into the ditches and running into the Yampa River. I've given them at least three warnings myself and the building department has been up there all over the course of the last month. We can't issue a stop-work order because they're not working, so this is our only course of action."

Although Fiebing said that Duckels made an effort to place hay bales in ditches where most of the muddy water is running towards the river, she said the runoff was so extreme, it simply ran over and under the hay.

"This contractor hasn't responded to our warnings, but he was visibly upset when the citations were issued," Fiebing said. "He's real concerned and he's taking this pretty seriously. All I want is for him to get in compliance and stop the erosion from going into the river. It's too bad it came down to this."

The city Planning Commission requires construction job sites to abide by regulations as stipulated in their building permits. The city makes periodic inspections of job sites to ensure the site management plan is being followed.

Although this is the first set of citations handed out in Routt County this spring, the inspector placed a stop-work order on the Mountain Vista project run by M.J. Miller Inc. Excavating and Construction on April 4.

"The stop-work order was lifted today and we can go back to work tomorrow," M.J. Miller owner Mike Miller said Tuesday. "We had two options after all the other things we tried to maintain the silt. We have to haul the muddy water off site and we have to add aluminum sulfate to the water."

Aluminum sulfate is a chemical that binds to the silt in the water, causing it to sink to the bottom of silt ponds.

Miller said that, unlike Duckels' three warnings, he was given one warning to get into compliance with the building permit stipulations on erosion before the building department said it would shut his job site down.

"They've worked really hard to correct the situation and the site is looking better," Fiebing said.

Mike Zopf, director of Routt County Environmental Health, said that he's noticed improvement on construction sites around Steamboat.

"The way the law is set up, property owners and contractors can use whatever tools and techniques are available to deal with erosion control," he said. "We're happy to see people are using their imaginations to come up with whatever tools will work."

Although hauling water off a site is expensive, it seems to be working, but the idea of adding chemicals to the mix isn't and ideal one, Zopf said.

"There's a question about the regulatory status of the chemical process. This probably isn't the real answer to this problem. We'd rather see sufficient sediment ponds to catch the runoff," he said.

Common erosion-control practices include installing silt fences and hay bales to help catch soil. In extreme cases, silt ponds and drainage systems are used to help alleviate the situation.

Runoff can carry a variety of materials such as soil particles, pet and livestock wastes, fertilizer, oil and other pesticides and toxic chemicals that inhibit fish breeding practices, fish growth and overall aquatic existence on the rivers.

Duckels has a mandatory court appearance in municipal court at 5 p.m. on May 3. A municipal court judge will be the final decision maker in the ongoing soil-erosion battle, Fiebing said.

-- To reach Bryna Larsen call 871-4205 or e-mail blarsen@amigo.net

Comments

Fred Duckels 4 years, 8 months ago

This article is 10 years old, what is the motivation for bringing this up now? Mike Miller and I were targeted by Jim Weber and Marc Marcus to set an example for erosion control and the press was bought in. This was clearly a case of knee jerk grandstanding by public officials who are no linger employed locally. A public meeting was held and things were bought into perspective, although the Pilot unfortunately did not attend. We no longer do things in this manner to use this publication as the Supreme Court of the valley, so good certainly came from this event. If we are to drag up decades old articles I have a few suggestions that would be of much more interest.

trump_suit 4 years, 8 months ago

Fred,

Looks to me it comes up because you haven't done proper erosion control. Were those citations issued 10 years ago, or just this week? Please tell us about the dynamite too?

trump_suit 4 years, 8 months ago

Sorry Fred, open mouth insert foot. I neglegted to read the date of the article which makes your question the right one. My apologies.

Brent?

seeuski 4 years, 8 months ago

What the hell is this paper trying to do to this man? Disgusting.

JLM 4 years, 8 months ago

Why are we discussing such ancient events?

Ken Reed 4 years, 8 months ago

Why is this here? I went to the paper and thankfully it wasn't printed. Someone owes Mr. Duckels an apology. BTW Mr. Duckels, did you mean "brought" instead of "bought" in the two instances of your post?

Brent Boyer 4 years, 8 months ago

Fred, et al: I have no idea why this story has suddenly appeared as a "Most discussed" item. Stories typically appear under "Most discussed" only when there are recent comments that trigger our system to recognize it as such. Fred, did this story appear as "Most discussed" before your first comment on it this afternoon, or after? I'll speak with our Web director in the morning. An answer to the above question will help in understanding why this article has come up again now.

Thanks, Brent

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

Brent, I saw this article on the "most discussed" with 1 comment earlier today. A single recent comment will make an article come up on the list.

What was curious is that there was no actual comment attached to the article when I looked at the article. Look at the current count - most discussed has one more comment than comments following the article. I have seen that on other articles as well. I think someone has figured out a way to leave a comment accepted by your site that is not displayed by your site.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

There it is again: Duckels ticketed for erosion-control violations April 11, 2000 10 comments

There are only 8 comments above this comment, but the Most Discussed entry says there are 10. And that said there was 8 when I made my previous comment so there is another hidden comment between my last comment and this comment. And the first comment on this article that brought it back is also a hidden comment.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 8 months ago

When I noticed the article 1 comment was listed but not available. Does this mean that I can go back and comment on articles that happened years ago that I would like to see revisited? It would be nice to expose the culprit if that is the case.

blue_spruce 4 years, 8 months ago

"... Fred Duckels could potentially face 180 days in jail..."

Fred Duckels 4 years, 8 months ago

The fog is lifting, I suspect that this is another of the ongoing attempts to sabotage the Victory Highway Project.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 8 months ago

Odds are, whatever comments used to be here at one time (2000??), the people themselves no longer have those ID's to post under and no longer show up. Also, unless the Pilot fixed it, a couple years ago, if you signed up and weren't verified, you could post and nobody would see it. They would only see that a post was attributed.

This site has gone thru a few changes since 2000. I'm betting it made the list because someone was checking it out after the Brady Meier episode recently. Someone is probably doing research pertaining to the Torian incident. It's what I'd be doing if I were one of the parties still involved in that incident...especially since I also remember the dynamite incident in Silver Spur / Steamboat II. Don't get me wrong- I'm not dogging Fred on this; just offering a plausible reason this post is here.

Brent Boyer 4 years, 8 months ago

All: We identified the source of the comments: a poster who had been banned for inappropriate comments that violated our user agreement. However, our site was still registering his or her comments, even though they weren't actually appearing on any of the stories. We believe this specific issue has now been resolved and we are taking steps to ensure it won't happen again with any other previously banned users. Please call me with any questions.

Thanks, Brent 871-4221

Fred Duckels 4 years, 8 months ago

From watching the media I get the impression that only conservative folks would stoop to such depths. This fellow will obviously get a pass.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 8 months ago

Matt, I could give you some tips on a speeding ticket I received in 1954 if it would make you feel any better.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Fred. Got my own...a couple times in the past!! I've had plenty of troubles with the law in my youth. People who didn't know me back then are really surprised when I tell them I had been arrested (right here in Steamboat!!) 3 times before I graduated High School. LOL!

I'm just providing information for those who asked, not trying to be mean to you on this. I remember the dynamite blast because I live in Silver Spur. What I was saying is that considering the news of last week about a possible lawsuit brought by Brady's surviving family members, it might be wise for you not to provide any fodder beforehand.

Plus, who cares if there is a "pass" or not? None of us know what was posted by whom to bring this story back up. Heck- it might have been a Right Winger actually sticking up for you. Hecker (yes, I believe in making up my own words)- it might even have been a Left Winger sticking up for you!!

Fred Duckels 4 years, 8 months ago

Matt, I know who the blogger is, and for $100 per incidence I will give you a list of all my indiscretions in life. For a few thousand dollars you will be able to help me live in infamy long after I pass. You can have first crack at this deal and maybe you can write a book. Knowing your blogs Matt, I'm sure that you will need to get the last word in.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

Whatever happened in the tragic accident is not related to events 8 or 10 years old.

And when the "good guy" in the erosion story is using aluminum sulfate then it is hard to get so upset with the "bad guy" in the story.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, if Vanna White, Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter or Al Franken can have #1 books, I may just take you up on that offer! I could just do it the old fashioned way and just use the above "writers" inspiration of just puking into a bowl and then dipping a quill into said puke, and put it to paper. I'll be the next Butters!! And your name flows much nicer than Scrotie McBoogerballs. (Google it, if you don't know the reference.)

And yes- I DO need to always get that last word in. Here it is: bleooorrrgggch!!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

Brent, As Blue Spruce is proving with numerous comments on the BMX thread, the list of Most Discussed probably should not count number of comments, but number of PEOPLE making recent comments.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 8 months ago

JLM- because it's a legitimate, archived article that can be accessed by anyone searching for it...unless someone would rather this article be censored. The more you post, the longer it stays up for Most Discussed.

Fred- that's why I figured mine would be the "last word." LOL! Didn't anyone else come to the conclusion that if you keep posting on this thread, it would stay at the forefront of the thread list?

stillinsteamboat 4 years, 8 months ago

I know this is old news but Mr. Duckles is one of the people who blogs the most and is most critical of others. This leaves him wide open to people digging into his past.

dave reynolds 4 years, 8 months ago

the companies I have worked for and do work for have done business with Fred for over a century and a half..He is a good man..stillintheboat just like me you remain anonymous...I have a sorted past but have turned it around how bout you let us dig into your past..he has more integrity than the two of us because he says who he is..

trump_suit 4 years, 8 months ago

Fred, I am absolutely sure that reading a list of your indiscretions would make for a boring evening..... I for one will pass on that :)

stillinsteamboat 4 years, 8 months ago

Paddle, as boring as it is, I have no record. I would rather not talk about business, safety and hiring practices of some in this town. I have very strong opinions and I'm sure it would sting more than a little, so I'd rather not comment further.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

I have been criticized by ignorant small minded people when I allowed a tenant to have an alcoholic recently arrested friend move in to be dried out. I remain proud of that decision and I think it was an important part of turning around that person's life.

Though, after seeing an alcoholic suffer from withdraw, my personal alcohol consumption has gone to just about zero.

I am not going to take shots at someone that is actually doing stuff. Only those that never do anything never have any issues.

stillinsteamboat 4 years, 8 months ago

Isn't a century and a half 150 years? He looks good for his age.

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 8 months ago

hahahahahaha...this is all so funny...and so many panties in a wrinkle!! stillinsteamboat ~EXACTLY (all your posts)!!

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 8 months ago

Scott- congrats on knocking down your drinking! It's a hard thing to see someone else go thru a tough withdrawal. Hopefully, that person is doing now better for it. Depending on what your own consumption used to be, I'll bet you're feeling a bit better since you've slowed down. It reawakens the mind and body. At least it did in my case, since I used to drink to excess. It also ended up showing how much money I saved when not drinking it away.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

I was not drinking much before that episode. Now I probably have 6 beers a year.

The two weeks that the alcoholic spent drying out is as bad as I've seen someone go through. Looked to me to be similar to someone having a rough reaction to chemo and having the shakes.

dave reynolds 4 years, 8 months ago

stillinsteamboat ya got me on that one..lol..ok decade and a half

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 8 months ago

paddle: maybe more integrity for mr. fred would entale blogging under a ficticous name, for the sake of family and friends (who read these articles/blogs) that have lost loved ones under a certain someone's 'watch', but some choose to continue to spew self-rightous BS onto others ... amazing what the human spirit does for oneself in order to sleep at night....

kathy foos 4 years, 8 months ago

This old post needs to go away,sorry Fred that this has come up,how stupid ,when I first read it I didnt notice the date untill I started reading the comments,what a waste of everyones time and just remove the darn thing now,please.

Clearsky 4 years, 8 months ago

Passing through is not trespassing. Read the law! Trespassing is entering and/or remaining within a structure....

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 8 months ago

Actually, I'd say George's post makes it a little open to interpretation. The portion "unlawfully enters or remains in or upon premises of another." The word "remains" is the key word. If someone is passing thru, are they remaining upon the premises of another? I guess that you'd have to define an amount of time that would constitute "remaining" on the premises. I think of it as if you are asked to leave and don't, that constitutes remaining on the premises. Hmmmm...funny how it comes to that on this thread...it "remains" on the top of the thread list, even though people have asked it to leave. ba-dump-bump!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 8 months ago

Matt, The key word is not "remains" but is "or" because it is not "and" as your argument requires.

If a person unlawfully enters then that is trespassing. Period.

OR if a person unlawfully remains that is trespassing. That covers the situation of a lawful entry when the person has been asked to leave. The meaning of "remaining" is clear enough and any dispute over "remaining" becomes a question for the judge to decide.

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 8 months ago

can i just say: this article is DY-NO-MITE!:)...no pun intended...