July 14, 2016
Steamboat Springs — Don't let its small, intimate space fool you. Located on 11th Street and Lincoln Avenue downtown, some of Steamboat's best Asian-influenced fare can be found at Sumatera, which offers authentic "Ring of Fire" Pacific Rim cuisine highlighting flavors ranging from the Indonesian Islands and Singapore to Thailand and Japan.
Every summer owner Lia Blarecoats travels to Indonesia to experiment with and bring new recipes to Steamboat Springs. The result is a mouth-watering menu offering a sizzling assortment of Asian fare that would shine in large cities, let alone Steamboat.
For appetizers, try such favorites as Lia's Famous Spring Rolls with rice paper, vermicelli, avocado, cucumber, basil, carrots and creamy peanut sauce, with shrimp, tofu or chicken; Momo steamed dumplings with beef or turkey; or Martabak, a pan-fried pancake with beef, eggs, scallions, garlic and shallots.
Sumatera also offers a variety of soups and salads, from Pho, Ramen and Bakso (a metaball soup with cilantro) to Seaweed and Yakisoba (wheat noodles with ahi tuna, wasabi, greens and seaweed).
For entrees, choose from curries, Pad Thais, noodle dishes, sushi rolls and more, as well as skewered Satay and Nasi Goreng, a fried jasmine rice with vegetables.
Recommended Stories For You
For a special treat (you have to order it two days before), try the Rendang, a slow-roasted beef with coconut milk.
All dishes come in traditional spicy levels of one to five, letting you get as hot as you want. The restaurant offers take-out as well as reservation-only dining, along with catering and sushi chefs for private parties.
ZEST is a sponsored feature in Explore Steamboat magazine. The magazine publishes in the summer and winter each year. Advertisers can purchase a one- or two-page spread in the ZEST section of the magazine. The purchase includes a photo shoot, write-up and layout of their pages. As an added benefit, each story is published in one edition of Steamboat Today’s Friday Explore section during the same season and also online.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Noodles & More Saigon Cafe: Authentic Fresh Food
- Halloween weekend in Steamboat Springs appeals to all ghosts and ghouls
- Uber’s transportation service makes it to Steamboat Springs
- Looking back, 17 years of CMC’s annual haunted house fundraiser
- Series of lakes atop Buffalo Pass provides easy, beautiful hikes
- Steamboat Emergency Center scheduled to open mid-November, hoping to offer residents another option for care
- New single-family homes 22 miles west of Steamboat signal evolving housing market
- Band aid found in au jus at Steamboat hospital cafeteria prompted concerns
- Real estate transactions: October 13 to 19, 2017
- Hayden man injured in crash in critical condition