Winter Carnival button invites dreams of Olympic glory
January 31, 2010
Steamboat Springs — There will be medal winners everywhere one turns in downtown Steamboat Springs during this year's Winter Carnival.
The artistic theme for the latest iteration of the Winter Carnival button is "Living the Dream," and Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club special events coordinator Caroline Bohlmann said everyone has permission to imagine themselves as Olympic medalists.
With the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, taking place Feb. 12 to 28, "we want everyone to be able to live their Olympic dreams," Bohlmann said." The button will be made to look like a medal and will have a red, white and blue ribbon" so it can be worn around the neck.
The commemorative buttons serve as the ticket to all of the Winter Carnival events, from the opening cross-country obstacle race Feb. 4 to the dual slalom bicycle race and the Pro Alpine ski flying Feb. 6.
More than 7,000 buttons will be manufactured, and the purchase price is $7. The buttons are available from vendors on the street and at the entrance to the events. Several local businesses also will sell the buttons.
Proceeds from button sales go toward offsetting the cost of putting on Winter Carnival events and to the Winter Sports Club's competitive skiing programs for youngsters.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- U.S. News names Steamboat Springs among top 15 small towns to visit in the USA
- Rabbit Ears Peak erosion goes viral on social media and spurs some to ponder new names
- Steamboat Free Summer Concert Series Guide: The band rundown of 2017 headliners
- Closure area addresses illegal trails on Buffalo Mountain
- Woman drinks cleaning solution: The Record for Tuesday, June 20, 2017