Winter Carnival 2013: ‘The Flying Norseman’
February 3, 2013
Leif Hovelsen's book about his father, Carl Howelsen, "The Flying Norseman," originally was published by the National Ski Hall of Fame Press in 1983. The book is out of print but remains the best reference about the life and times of the man who established competitive skiing in Steamboat Springs.
Copies are scarce online, if you can find one at all. The Bud Werner Memorial Library has two copies, one in general circulation and a second in a locked cabinet for in-library use only.
The Tread of Pioneers Museum no longer has copies of the book for sale, but museum director Candice Bannister said the museum has obtained the permission of the Ski Hall of Fame to reprint the book, which she hopes to do in the not-too-distant future.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Rabbit Ears Peak erosion goes viral on social media and spurs some to ponder new names
- Steamboat Free Summer Concert Series Guide: The band rundown of 2017 headliners
- Woman drinks cleaning solution: The Record for Tuesday, June 20, 2017
- Closure area addresses illegal trails on Buffalo Mountain
- U.S. News names Steamboat Springs among top 15 small towns to visit in the USA