Winter Carnival 2013: ‘The Flying Norseman’
February 3, 2013
Leif Hovelsen's book about his father, Carl Howelsen, "The Flying Norseman," originally was published by the National Ski Hall of Fame Press in 1983. The book is out of print but remains the best reference about the life and times of the man who established competitive skiing in Steamboat Springs.
Copies are scarce online, if you can find one at all. The Bud Werner Memorial Library has two copies, one in general circulation and a second in a locked cabinet for in-library use only.
The Tread of Pioneers Museum no longer has copies of the book for sale, but museum director Candice Bannister said the museum has obtained the permission of the Ski Hall of Fame to reprint the book, which she hopes to do in the not-too-distant future.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- New owner takes the reins at Steamboat’s Ore House steakhouse
- Steamboat Ski Area announces terrain for Opening Day on Wednesday
- Jail Report for Nov. 12 to Nov. 18, 2017
- Utah ski resorts giddy over 2 seasons of record visitation and Olympic bid, but worried by DUI law
- Van Life: Who’s behind the wheel, what they’re up to and where local van life might be headed