While much of nation is scorched by heat wave, Steamboat stays mild
July 21, 2011
Steamboat Springs — Steamboat Springs is looking like a particularly good place to be this week.
While a heat wave continues to grip much of the nation, here in Routt County the daily high temperature will hover in the low 80s, with overnight lows dipping into the 40s.
Here's how that compares to some other cities across the country:
- St. Louis will hit 101 degrees today, with an overnight low of 81
- Thermometers in Phoenix will top out at 108 degrees. It will get all the way down to 85 degrees overnight.
- Syracuse, N.Y., also will reach triple digits today with a high of 100 degrees.
- Raleigh, N.C., will see a high of 101 degrees.
- It's a relative cool down in Chicago, which will reach 96 degrees today
- Washington, D.C. will get to 99 degrees today with heat index values as high as 110 degrees.
- New York City residents and visitors will feel a daytime high of 97 degrees with a heat index of 107. The temperature will climb to 101 on Friday.
And closer to home:
- Durango residents will experience a 91 degree day today.
- In Denver, the temperature will max out at 93 today before creeping up to 99 on Friday.
- Grand Junction will hit the mid-90s today and remain there through the weekend.
- Pueblo will reach 97 degrees today and inch up to 99 on Friday.