Visitor numbers up in Steamboat for weekend after July Fourth
July 11, 2012
About 11,400 visitors stayed in Steamboat Springs on Saturday, exceeding the Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association's forecast by almost 10 percent.
The Chamber's weekly lodging barometer indicates that 77 percent of total lodging was full on the weekend after the Fourth of July, with visitors filling 100 percent of downtown and U.S. Highway 40 lodging and 63 percent of mountain condo properties.
The same weekend in 2011 saw 70 percent of lodging filled in Steamboat.
When compared with the Fourth of July weekend from 2011, which fell a week earlier, the numbers still indicate improvement. Fourth of July weekend last year was 72 percent full, or 10,000 people.
The Chamber forecasts 80 percent of lodging properties to be full this weekend, equaling about 11,900 pillows. The 28th annual Steamboat Mountain Soccer Tournament will be in Steamboat this weekend bringing 120 teams to town.
In 2011, the tournament — paired with the Tour de Steamboat bike race — was the busiest weekend of the summer with 83 percent of lodging full.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Man who died after fleeing Steamboat police drowned
- Man who died in Yampa River identified as Steamboat Springs IT worker
- From the Editor: Steamboat Today launches new website
- Steamboat Parks and Rec Commission OKs new off-leash dog areas