Sue Beauregard Rife: Thanks for Howelsen
February 7, 2012
About a month ago, I was riding the Poma lift up Howelsen Hill and I realized that I have been skiing that hill for exactly 50 years. Wow, I never thought I would ever be that old, let alone ski the same ski area year after year for 50 years.
I love Howelsen Hill. Many times, I have geared up to head to the Steamboat Ski Area and looked over at Howelsen Hill to see a sunny, perfectly groomed ski hill without one single ski track on it. I inevitably steer my vehicle to the Howelsen Hill parking lot. I park at the bottom of the hill, put my skis on about 15 feet from my car and skate to the lift, never regretting for one minute that I chose Howelsen instead of the big ski area.
Now, my 5-year-old grandsons are riding the Poma lift. Half the time, they are hanging just off the ground. They love Howelsen, too, and feel that the ride up is just as fun as skiing down.
Our family would like to thank the city of Steamboat Springs and the entire friendly staff at Howelsen Hill. Good, old-fashioned, down-home skiing still exists, and our family feels so fortunate to continue to experience it. Thanks for keeping it special.
Sue Beauregard Rife
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat Parks and Rec Commission OKs new off-leash dog areas
- Buffalo Pass Road too rugged? Forest Service officials eye improvements
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Sweetwater Grill is sold; new concept to open in May
- Cooking With: Smell That Bread Bakery featuring its newly renovated location