Steamboat skier Emily Hannah leads at US Championships
January 5, 2012
Steamboat Springs — Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club skier Emily Hannah continued her tremendous season Thursday, finishing 27th in a 10-kilometer freestyle event at the 2012 U.S. Cross Country Championships at Black Mountain in Rumford, Maine.
Hannah finished her race in 28 minutes, 1.30 seconds. She was three minutes behind eventual winner and U.S. Ski Team member Jessica Diggins, but Hannah was the top J1 (ages 16 and 17) women's skier.
Also finishing high for Steamboat were Mary O'Connell in 30th, Haley Piske in 72nd and Madison Keeffe in 102nd.
The finish keeps Hannah in contention for two of her bigger goals. With a solid finish through the weekend, Hannah could lock up a World Juniors. She also is almost guaranteed a position on the J1 Scandinavia Cup trip to Estonia.
On the men's side Charlie Von Thaden was the top Steamboat finisher in the men's 15-kilometer freestyle event in 79th place. Max Scrimgeour was 95th.
The event continues today with a 5-kilometer junior women's and 10-kilometer junior men's event.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- U.S. News names Steamboat Springs among top 15 small towns to visit in the USA
- How to tube like a pro in Steamboat Springs
- Survey shows strong support for a sin tax in Steamboat Springs
- Cooking With: Phenomenal Falafel offers creative taste to Steamboat in new location
- Steamboat Free Summer Concert Series: Survival Guide