Steamboat Living: Quick Hits – Bordens plan super-sized fireworks for Winter Carnival
November 22, 2012
Passing the torch
Billy Petersen and Karl Fredell have helped Tim and Scott Borden put on the Fourth of July fireworks show for years. So when the Bordens wanted to move to the background and have someone else run the show, the two instantly applied.
“There are a lot of volunteers behind the scenes, but we’re really lucky,” Petersen says. “We get to legally and responsibly play with fireworks.”
Although the Bordens still will supply the fireworks, Petersen and Fredell will run the show. “It’s a great opportunity to get into a unique niche,” adds Fredell, who recently got his Display Fireworks Operators License, which involved studying rules, regulations and safety, and passing a 75-question test.
And Tim Borden is pleased with the new fuse-lighters. “They take pride in the show,” he says. “The crowd won’t see any difference.”
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Man who died after fleeing Steamboat police drowned
- Steamboat Parks and Rec Commission OKs new off-leash dog areas
- Buffalo Pass Road too rugged? Forest Service officials eye improvements
- Cooking With: Smell That Bread Bakery featuring its newly renovated location