Steamboat cyclists ride in Gunnison’s grueling Growler race
June 2, 2011
Steamboat Springs — A few of Steamboat's top mountain bikers competed Saturday in the grueling Gunnison Growler.
There were two races. The Full-Growler is a 64-mile race that does two laps and climbs 4,000 vertical feet. The Half-Growler does one lap and 32 miles of racing.
In the Full-Growler, Nate Bird was 16th, Mike Sharkey was 83rd, Josh Enck was 94th and Mel Stewart was 121st. Tevor Walz, JP Pougiales and Aaron Tisdale did not finish. On the women's side, Rebecca Bale was 25th in the full race.
In the Half-Growler, Jeff Minotto was second and Jeff Boswell was 10th in the men's 30-39 division
"It's a super tough, technical ride," Bird said. "It's relentless. You're either flying downhill or climbing. There wasn't too much rest going on. It's super fun, but it wears on you after 65 miles."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat base area condo project re-enters city planning process with new design
- Rams can’t corral Mustangs’ rally, fall 38-28 in state semifinal game
- Mixed bag of weather during run-up to Steamboat Resort opening Nov. 22
- Real estate transactions for November 9 to 16, 2017
- City of Steamboat invested thousands to promote downtown businesses impacted by construction. West Steamboat businesses wonder why they didn’t get the same support