Steamboat Briefs: Hayden church offers food baskets for area residents
November 22, 2010
Low-income residents in Hayden are invited to reserve free food baskets from Hayden Congregational Church. The baskets include a Thanksgiving dinner. Call Teresa at 970-276-2507 or the church at 970-276-3510 by noon today to reserve one.
Salvation Army seeks bell ringers for 1-hour shifts
The local Salvation Army Extension Committee is looking for volunteer bell ringers for one-hour shifts starting the day after Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve. Of the money collected locally, according to a news release, 90 percent stays here to help Routt County residents in need, and the other 10 percent helps people statewide. To volunteer, call Judi Williams at 970-871-1515. For more information, call 970-870-0727.
Coats available to residents at the LIFT-UP Food Bank
Clean, warm winter coats are available free to anyone who needs a coat — one per person — from 1 to 5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday at the LIFT-UP Food Bank. The Food Bank is at the Lufkin Lift-Up Center, 2125 Curve Court, just down the street from Cook Chevrolet. Call 970-870-8804.
Chamber to host Winter Activity Mixer on Dec. 1
The Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association is hosting a Winter Activity Mixer from 3 to 6 p.m. Dec. 1 at the Sheraton Steamboat Resort. The event is an opportunity to talk with front-line employees — concierges, bell staff, front desk staff, reservations, etc. — who refer visitors to local businesses and attractions. Booth space costs $125, or $25 for restaurants serving food. KFMU will broadcast from the event. Call 970-875-7006 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Space is limited. Information can be included in welcome packets for $25.
Orchestra seeks sponsors for December concerts
The Steamboat Symphony Orchestra is seeking sponsors for its Holiday Concert on Dec. 4 and 5. Sponsorships are available at all levels. Call Lou Mathews at 970-870-3223.
Pertussis cases up in state during 2nd half of the year
Because of an increase in the number of pertussis (whooping cough) cases reported in Colorado since July, the state health department is recommending expanded use of vaccine for various age groups, according to a news release.
Recommended Stories For You
From July 1 through Nov. 13, 229 pertussis cases have been reported, compared with the 2007-2009 average of 77 cases per year during the same period. Compared to the same time period during 2007-2009, rates have increased the most in children ages 11 to 14 and 7 to 10, but smaller increases have been observed in other age groups, as well. Notably, however, rates are lower in children younger than 6 months old compared with the same calendar period during the three previous years.
Pertussis is a highly contagious respiratory tract infection. Although it initially resembles an ordinary cold, whooping cough eventually may turn more serious, particularly in infants. Whooping cough is most contagious before the coughing starts. The best way to prevent it is through vaccinations. The childhood vaccine, called DTaP, is for children 6 and younger. The whooping cough booster vaccine for adolescents and adults ages 10 to 64 is called Tdap. Both protect against whooping cough, tetanus, and diphtheria. Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association offers the vaccine for $14. To make an appointment, call 970-879-1632 in Routt County or 970-824-8233 in Moffat County.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat’s oldest downtown bar and restaurant listed for sale for $1
- New owner takes the reins at Steamboat’s Ore House steakhouse
- Steamboat Ski Area announces terrain for Opening Day on Wednesday
- Steamboat ski shop’s customers can now get tuned up while they get a tune up
- Former Steamboat City Council President accused of trying to intimidate a fellow council member from speaking out on housing project