Ski 4 Yellow in Steamboat offers early-bird registration
January 12, 2012
Steamboat Springs — Organizers of the second annual Ski 4 Yellow fundraiser in Steamboat Springs are hoping to push registration numbers with something besides the opportunity to spend a day skiing with an Olympian.
Registration for the March 31 event at Steamboat Ski Area is $25 per person through Sunday. Beginning Monday, the registration cost jumps to $100 per person.
"It's our way of saying thanks to those who commit to the Ski 4 Yellow event early," event director Kerry Shea said. "With only 200 spots, we're on target to sell out the event this year, and we think the early-bird registration will certainly help to that end."
Ski 4 Yellow is a Livestrong-partnered event. In addition to the registration fee, each Ski 4 Yellow participant commits to raising at least $500 for cancer-related initiatives. Skiers and riders can sign up individually or as teams.
Half of all proceeds from the Ski 4 Yellow event will be granted to cancer initiatives in the Yampa Valley. The other half will be donated to Livestrong for its global cancer initiatives. Ski 4 Yellow is part of the 4 Yellow foundation, which also organizes the annual Ride 4 Yellow mountain bike ride in Steamboat.
Recommended Stories For You
In the two years since its inception, the 4 Yellow foundation has granted $100,000 to Steamboat Springs organizations that play a role in helping those dealing with cancer.
As for the event itself, Ski 4 Yellow participants partner with a local Olympian for a day of skiing at Steamboat Ski Area. The list of participating Olympians includes Todd Lodwick, Johnny Spillane, Billy Kidd, Deb Armstrong, Nelson Carmichael and Caroline Lalive.
Each group and its Olympian spends the morning of March 31 completing a series of on-mountain challenges, such as riding every chairlift and visiting on-mountain landmarks. After a midday lunch and some camaraderie with other Ski 4 Yellow participants, the groups head back out for an afternoon of challenges on the NASTAR course. The day concludes in Gondola Square with a Bud Light Rocks the Boat free concert by New Monsoon.
Ski 4 Yellow is limited to the first 200 registered skiers and riders. The registration fee includes event memorabilia as well as tickets to the March 30 Ski 4 Yellow gala and live auction. For more information or to register, visit http://www.ski4yellow.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Noodles & More Saigon Cafe: Authentic Fresh Food
- Steamboat local recalls May 10, 1996, disaster on Mount Everest
- Halloween weekend in Steamboat Springs appeals to all ghosts and ghouls
- Looking back, 17 years of CMC’s annual haunted house fundraiser
- Series of lakes atop Buffalo Pass provides easy, beautiful hikes
- Steamboat Ski Area investigating mountain coaster incident
- Homeless chef suspected of dealing heroin in Routt County
- New single-family homes 22 miles west of Steamboat signal evolving housing market
- Steamboat Springs teens missing since Monday found safe
- Vehicle runs over woman’s foot: The Record for Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017